New Wood Guy!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BillBurns

Feeling the Heat
Nov 11, 2022
PA
I stopped by a wood processing place yesterday, and Im more than impressed so far. Mountains of wood, under roof, and a vending machine where you can buy wood 24/7. Im not sure how it works yet, but I will find out. The guy said its a mix of Oak, Cherry, Pine, and a few others. All is below 20% he said, but I didnt have my meter with me. Seemed like a great guy. Prices were like 50, 90, 250....one was 25 bucks for "chunks and hunks", a loader full. The 50 is what Im buying first, to try it out. A cord is 250 stacked. Ive been wanting to stop there for awhile now, but life makes things hard sometimes, lol. Im hoping I found THE place to get my wood. And its like 3 miles from my house. Oh.........I just remebered.....a Tri Axle load is $1000. Thats a lot of wood.

Im not usre of his name. I told him Id be in touch soon, to buy a 50 buck load. It should fit in my SUV. Im hoping beyond hope this place is as legit as it seems. They have a site and all....

$250.00 for a full 128 cu. ft cord stacked is dirt cheap !
Unfortunate they are way too far away for me.

$250.00 for a full 128 cu. ft cord stacked is dirt cheap !
Unfortunate they are way too far away for me.
If it's actually dry yes pretty cheap. If not it's average price especially for the mix they are claiming

In my area 1 full cord dry and sometimes with crappy sellers not fully dried firewood sells for $450.00 - $500.00 delivered but never ever stacked.

Around here all you'll get for $275 is a1 cord pile of green mixed wood dumped in your driveway. It's mostly hardwood due to the area but still. "seasoned" will run you closer to $450 and it's really just been in a giant pile over the summer. I could probably get $750 for a cord of my 3 year old truly seasoned stuff if I were to sell but it's more valuable for me to use it. None of these prices include stacking. Everything is expensive here that's just the way it is.

I say try it and see what happens, I am willing to bet all you will get is firewood kickers that will offer you $300 cash as that is the "going" rate for wood.
I'm not making the figure up. I've given samples to folks who have asked and they've wanted to buy. I just don't have room to store enough for my own use and to sell. My wife will kill me if I put another 5 cords out in the yard lol. I'm content doing firewood for personal use only. I actually give it as Xmas presents to some of my friends who burn!

Everyone thinks the have dry wood until they experience the bliss of truly 3+ year old dried wood that has been stored properly. It will change your life!

Yeah, Im not 100% sure yet, but Im going to get a Bobcat scoop full soon, its 21 bucks. "Hunks and Chunks" they call it. My stove is on the small side, so this might be my best bet.

I dont buy wood. That said...$250 per cord is about the break even point of buying propane in my area. I like wood heat, but not at a cost above the dial on the wall. Just say'in...

Wood heat is definitely appealing in parts of the country with higher energy costs that's for sure. Here in MA electricity is $0.28/kWh, oil is $4.20/gallon, and propane is $3.40/gallon so wood heat is very cost effective even if you purchased green wood for $300 per cord. It just makes me smile when I look out back at my 3 years worth I get log length. All I see is $$$.

I think free is better than paying, but I get most of my wood free, so spending a little on wood is a no brainer. I use heating oil at nights if its real cold, but I cut my fuel bill by 90%. Its just nice for back up.

Wood heat is definitely appealing in parts of the country with higher energy costs that's for sure. Here in MA electricity is $0.28/kWh, oil is $4.20/gallon, and propane is $3.40/gallon so wood heat is very cost effective even if you purchased green wood for $300 per cord. It just makes me smile when I look out back at my 3 years worth I get log length. All I see is $$$.
Money in the bank. That’s what I say when I’m out by my stacks. I have 3-4 years worth on hand at all times as well.

Reactions: D8Chumley and Todd