Lopi Endeavor and secondary issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We're remodeling the area where the flue runs up so the chase is off. That's how I can read the temps. Here is how the wood looks surrounding the chimney after 11 years running. You can be sure that during this time the flue gases have exceeded 800F a lot more than once.
Lopi Endeavor and secondary issues

That was always my plan to open the door, but it wasnt that hot... begreen yours look like mine except i flashed the 2x4 support box framing with durock for that little bit of r value and space. My support box seems to run jus as hot as the outside of the dvl pipe. I am actually going to cut an upper and lower register from the upstairs bathroom into the chase which is totally insulated. That wall is around 80 degrees on the outside so if i can get air convecting through there is may warm the second floor a little its all in the same floor so it would not be breaking a firestop

Why does duratec make you choke down a 16" opening to 12". I could have had 100% clearance increase if it wasnt for that design. They already have a close clearance box for 10" spacing. Why not make the standard for 16" spacing. I dont understand their thinking and why 12" spacing you cant even build up 2x4's from 16" oc to get to 12" it should at least be 13" so you can build it out with 2x's. must be designed by people that dont ever install it

Only 2" clearance is needed. The normal space between 16" OC studs is 14.5", but not always. A 12" box allows some wiggle room for odd spaced joists. One could always frame out using metal studs for greater clearance, but it isn't necessary.

Correct so if it was 14.5" clearance and you added 1 2x you be at a 13" thats why i said 13" it would fit in there easily with one 2x or a piece of 3/4 on each side. I would not feel comfortable with metal studs carrying the load of the class a placed horizontal. Getting to 12 is a little more trickey and was frustrating to choke my clearances down to the minimum 2" when i could have had double that. The way i see it is if two is good 4 is better especially if it required no extra effort

Why should the mfg make a separate product for extra clearance when tested data shows it's unnecessary? It's not cost effective.