King 5500 M initial test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I tested my circuit feeding the outlet used by the pellet stove and its good. I tested the power cord from the outlet to the stove with the receptacle on the stove connected and its all good.

With everything pulled from the board I plugged the white connector into the board and plugged the power cord into the outlet. I get 80 volts to ground from the red auger motor wire and 80 volts to the neutral.

I then pulled the white plug from the board and plugged in the power cord. I get zero volts from the white wire pin in the white plug to ground. I get 120 volts from the black wire pin to ground or to the white wire pin.

I pulled the plastic sleeve off the wires. Its a very simple wiring set up that I can understand. All the neutrals show little or no resistance between them and no continuity to ground.

I think the problem is in the board. I have not taken the layers of boards apart but looking between them with good light I cannot see a problem. Maybe somehow the problem is the Triac and it doesn't show until load is put on it. I tested the outer legs of the Triac with the power on and they both show 120 volts to ground.

I tested the outer legs of the Triac with the power on and they both show 120 volts to ground.
Tells me its not the triac.

I think the problem is in the board
I think you have eliminated all components and something on the board is shorted to neutral.

The only other thing you could do for a test is to try the board from one stove to the other.

I greatly appreciate your help with this, patiently waking through all the steps and discussing it. Very kind of you!

Hopefully this wont be a waste of time and some other folks will find it useful.

I may end up swapping boards from the other stove just to get some heat going.

Is there anyone here or elsewhere that is set up to fix the boards if they are fixable? Is there anyone with a test to find a bad component on these boards? Anyone have a used board for sale that works?

If not then I may take it apart and look for a problem.

Is there anyone here or elsewhere that is set up to fix the boards if they are fixable?
No one on this board that I know off but there are board repair services on line they cost a average of $175.00+-. A new board is running around $160-180. Make sure you get the correct board 80778. US Stove uses the 4 button board in a lot of there stoves, they are not the same board they just look alike a board for one stove will not necessarily work on another stove (programed different) below is list of stoves that use 80778 if you buy used board make sure it is a 80778. Also two of many links to new board. But I would switch boards on stove first to make absolutely sure it is a bad board before I bought a new one.

Amazon product ASIN B004V7FS1Y
https://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/ussc-control-board-80778-p/80778.htm
  • 5500M
  • 5500XLT
  • 5502M
  • KP60
  • KP130
  • VG60
  • VG130

Last edited:
Again, good advice - thanks!

I did a search last night and found that board on another site but this site is a better price.
Wondering what the wheel that's left of the Heat Range adjustment is.