Jotul Oslo Hard To Start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I load mine in the front, and never leave the door open. Stove is very easy to light, even my girlfriend can easily light it.

I load mine in the front, and never leave the door open. Stove is very easy to light, even my girlfriend can easily light it.
Then I would suspect you have very dry wood that lights like a match. I have basswood here that I think I could almost light with a match.
Hard starters, like white oak, would falter miserably, and would need more air than the damper can provide.
That's what I see anyway. That's considering the draft here also. If yours drafts better, then that's a consideration also.
I have tried letting the stove start on it's own with the door shut, and learned quickly that if flue temps are allowed to remain low for any length of time, then creosote can condense in the flue and drain back through the air intake. Nasty way to operate. Happened twice - no more. Getting the flue temps up quickly has been a mantra ever since.

Last edited: