Insulated Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Lol, don't you think that's the shelf where creosote is supposed to land?

:cool::rolleyes:

Rain splash I'd guess.

I would tear that thing out and put in a pipe chimney. My old masonry fireplace was very similar and it was really easy to make it disappear. Though, I admit that on someone else's house I can appreciate the aesthetic of fine masonry work.

Surely no T and elbow then. Seems like a straightforward connection to a liner (after the masonry is brought up to required condition). Best for a stove especially with a flue that's not too tall.

Reactions: bholler
Thank you guys for the help, I appreciate it. I’ll be asking the stove shop for masonry referrals as well as reaching out for at least one more on my own.
I will say 8k is probably a little high for my area but not crazy. And may be right for yours. I just see a few red flags that make me question their knowledge. Although splash shelf could be a regional thing I don't know.

Here are some pictures…Chimney company wants 8600 to rebuild “from splash shelf up”.

I will say 8k is probably a little high for my area but not crazy. And may be right for yours. I just see a few red flags that make me question their knowledge. Although splash shelf could be a regional thing I don't know.
UPDATE:

Stove company guys came out today, including a mason as luck would have it.

Blaze King’s are out due to vertical mantel clearance(37 inches to beginning of wood), and wife not wanting to modify mantel.

Guy is going to reach back out to me with other insert options, but they mentioned Hearthstone Clydesdale and Ambiance Flair 34 off top of his head.

Mason vehemently disagreed with the chimney sweep company’s assessment that I need a partial rebuild; he believes that I just need some replacement bricks.

Turns out my flu diameter is 12x12, which is nice, and easily allows room for an insulated liner.

Will update when I know more.

UPDATE:

Stove company guys came out today, including a mason as luck would have it.

Blaze King’s are out due to vertical mantel clearance(37 inches to beginning of wood), and wife not wanting to modify mantel.

Guy is going to reach back out to me with other insert options, but they mentioned Hearthstone Clydesdale and Ambiance Flair 34 off top of his head.

Mason vehemently disagreed with the chimney sweep company’s assessment that I need a partial rebuild; he believes that I just need some replacement bricks.

Turns out my flu diameter is 12x12, which is nice, and easily allows room for an insulated liner.

Will update when I know more.
Half the brick at the top already have the face popped off and I am sure many others aren't far behind. I would strongly recommend rebuilding the top with new brick