How to choose PE or Blaze king

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jakehunter

Hearth Supporter
Jul 21, 2009
midwest OH
Hello, all

I have been reading for a while on the PE 6 and the blaze King. My house is 1800 sf and was built in 2006. I have heard all good reveiws on the Blaze King but, the PE I have found some reveiws not so good on the EBT. I have had a 1 dealer tell me that the 3000 sf stove is to big and another try to sell me the T6. Please, someone help that is not trying to sell something to me.

I have also, been looking at the PE spectrum due to the T6 or summit ebt problems. Stove, install and chimney I will be looking to pay $ 5,500 for everything. This is alot of money and I do not want to make a mistake.

Thanks,

The T5 is the mid-size Alderlea stove if you like the cast iron look of the T6. I can't comment on the EBT, but have been very happy with my Vista (other than wishing it was a bit larger, but that's a function of fireplace size). People who have Blaze Kings seem to like them, the price seems to depend on which side of the Blaze King "Continental Divide" you are on (the eastern US pays a premium for BK stoves, don't know which side of the divide Ohio falls on).

The BK princess and the T6 are the same price $ 2,800.00 and yes, it hurts. What size of house are you heating with your vista? how long are your burn times?

If you are only heating 1800 sq ft the BKK will over heat you in no time. I think you would be better off going with the BK Princess model which will save you a bit of money. Shop around for the best prices. Here in PA I got my king for 2700 so depending on the model (classic, Parlor, or Ultra) you should be able to come in under that. You also will want good seasoned wood no mater what stove you buy.

I can't really speak to the PE but I also have read some not so flattering reviews of the EBT. Do your research before you buy.

The stove is more of an area heater. If this is a ranch house or if it has a closed floorplan, then it may be better to size the stove for the room it's going to be in. If it's very tight and well insulated, then a 2 cu ft stove might suffice, especially if this is a one story home. One way to tell is to look at the btus required to heat in the coldest season or month. Look at the last few years fuel bills to come up with an estimate.

Both companies make good stoves. Either has to travel a couple thousand+ miles to get to Ohio. Get the one that appeals to you the most and fits in your house scheme. For 1800 sq ft, normally a 3 cu ft stove is not going to be too big for Ohio, but you will need to burn partial loads of wood when the temperatures are moderate. However, this is a new house and we don't know the floorplan or how well it currently heats. Update us on the layout and the area where the stove will be located and we should be able to refine the size recommendation.

My house is around 1500 and the T6 is not too much stove. You can sit beside the thing and not get fried. It heats the house smartly. I get six to eight hour burns on pine. Longer on fir.
My two friends both have blaze kings and they reload twice per day on the same kind of wood. But they are ugly (the stoves not my friends). Wife gave it a thumbs down as the stove need to sit in the living room.

I would have bought the BK. Do a search, most people will agree that the T6 is not too much stove. How old is your house? Is it super insulated? Lots of windows? I am so glad I did not go with the T5.

Yes, the BK princess is $ 2,800.00. I have read posts on the EBT and I dont know if I should by one. Anybody wish they would have not bought the T6 or summit?

sorry, the lay out of my house is some what open it is a tri-level with the stove going on the middle floor so 200 to 300 sf will not be heated unless I force the heat down. upstairs has 4 bedrooms and 2 baths. I do like the T6 look. Total house sf is 2000 sf.

They are really two different animals. The BK has additional features that are worth thinking about. Most notably these are thermostatic control and the catalytic combuster. Visually it's a bit more of a no-nonsense steel stove, but it does the job well and can run for a long time without refueling.

The T6 is stout and well made. The heat is as described, soft, not overpowering. It's advantages are a nice look, trivet top, good fireview, long burns. If I had to fault the stove it would be that they don't offer the ash pan as an accessory. IMO, it's pretty useless, so why pay for it?

jakehunter said:
sorry, the lay out of my house is some what open it is a tri-level with the stove going on the middle floor so 200 to 300 sf will not be heated unless I force the heat down. upstairs has 4 bedrooms and 2 baths. I do like the T6 look. Total house sf is 2000 sf.

Sounds like it will work. How is the house currently heated? Do you have a sense of what fuel consumption is in Dec. and Jan.?

If performance is the only consideration, the BK wins hands down IMO. But at $2800 for a BKP, I'd highly suggest you call some other BK dealers and see what they'd be willing to do for you, it would probably be worth your time...

With that said, the PE stoves get a lot of overall positive reviews here, so I wouldn't be afraid of buying one. I just don't think that are as flexible as the BK stoves.

jakehunter said:
The BK princess and the T6 are the same price $ 2,800.00 and yes, it hurts. What size of house are you heating with your vista? how long are your burn times?

My house is about 1900 square feet. We use the Vista as supplemental heat, evenings and weekends. Unless it's really cold out, when the stove is going the heat is off, but I wouldn't want to try to heat the entire house 24/7 with the Vista. It's a little small for that. I get 3 to 4 hour burns with a moderate load of wood (3 to 4 splits) and about 6 hours if I pack it for the night. The 6 hours is a bit of a guess because if I load it up at 10:30 pm, there's just a few coals left at 6:30 pm. If I were burning 24/7 I would want at least a 2 cu ft stove. But that wasn't going to happen without major fireplace demolition!

jakehunter said:
Hello, all

I have been reading for a while on the PE 6 and the blaze King. My house is 1800 sf and was built in 2006. I have heard all good reveiws on the Blaze King but, the PE I have found some reveiws not so good on the EBT. I have had a 1 dealer tell me that the 3000 sf stove is to big and another try to sell me the T6. Please, someone help that is not trying to sell something to me.

I have also, been looking at the PE spectrum due to the T6 or summit ebt problems. Stove, install and chimney I will be looking to pay $ 5,500 for everything. This is alot of money and I do not want to make a mistake.

Thanks,

The T6 and the BKK are both a hell of a lot of stove for a new 1800 sq ft house.

Redd,

That's why I'd suggest the BKP over the T6. With the cat and stat, the BKP can burn significantly lower (and longer). I don't think the BKP would be too much stove for 1800 sq ft. Then again, I know of one crazy guy that has been running a BK King in a tiny cottage/house (well under 1000 sq ft). He now admits he probably should have bought the BKP, but he's getting along okay so far this season with the larger King.

Wet1 said:
Redd,

That's why I'd suggest the BKP over the T6. With the cat and stat, the BKP can burn significantly lower (and longer). I don't think the BKP would be too much stove for 1800 sq ft. Then again, I know of one crazy guy that has been running a BK King in a tiny cottage/house (well under 1000 sq ft). He now admits he probably should have bought the BKP, but he's getting along okay so far this season with the larger King.

I thought the same thing (Princess) but part of my deal is over specific answers.

It's PE's "Extended Burn Technology". Some say it's problematic and smoke and mirrors.

I have called a few dealers and they are all the same $ 2,800.00 for the BKP. I should have listed this early on but, sorry I have a 2000sf house and a 600 sf basement built in 2006. will the BKP be able to handle the space it does have a 2.85 cu box and the t6 has a 3 cu box.

That's a trivial difference. How the place is heated now and how much fuel is it taking?

"My house is 1800 sf and was built in 2006."

both stoves will keep you *very warm! If too warm, you can always open a window.

"I have heard all good reviews on the Blaze King but, the PE I have found some reveiws not so good on the EBT."

I have a Summit - a great heater - 2500 sq ft house 1250 down 1250 up. Stove is downstairs but if it gets too hot, I just open the sliding door - I would not be happy with a smaller box stove - rather run a bigger stove and be able to cram in more wood, than be feeding a smaller one too often. Pluses are great Heat output, looks good, nice big window and nicer secondary burn light show than Blaze King. Minuses are Summit won't give as long burn times as a Blaze King.

The only way I would go for the smaller stove is if it is in a tiny room and you can't get the air to move around your home.

As far as the EBT I truly don't know if it is doing anything positive or not, but the stove works *great as is, my only wish is I'd like 20 hour burns like the Blaze King Classic, but not willing to give up good looks, big clean window and awesome light show for it. For me, the King is a bit too big and the Princess is a bit too small, hence Summit won the day and I am quite happy with it, especially on those cold nights when the furnace never gets a chance to kick in :)

The BK will have no problem heating that area. Comparing the two, the BKP might have a firebox that's 5% smaller, but the cat will more than make up the difference... and then some.

The price still sound pretty steep to me, but I guess that's because you're shopping during peak season.

My house is currently being heated with a heat pump then when its below 32F the NG gas kicks in. The highest electric bill last year was $ 265.00 and a $ 40.00 NG bill (heat on 67) all year. I just do not like a heat pump cold air blowing all the time.

I think I will wait to purchase a stove untill next year April maybe this might let the price down alittle and allow me to not make a rush decision. Any BKP owners with complaints????

Blaze King Princess - Cat - 2.8 cu. ft. fire box . The Princess can handle wood up to 16 in length. 6" flue

Blaze King King - Cat - With a 4.27 cu. ft. fire box, this stove isnt just large but deep,load up to 80 pounds of wood, with an 8" flue

PE Summit - Non Cat - about 3+ cu ft. fire box - rated for 3,000 sq.ft. (yes, it can do this but works fine for smaller fires also) Log Size 20 inches Max. 6" flue

I have the PE Summit insert.
Just had some warranty repairs made, that were covered by the manufacturer with not much hassle.
As far as the EBT, I found mine had the flapper dislodged and was never operational, and fixed that problem. In theory it seems like a good idea, but haven't had a chance to burn enough since repairing, to determine if it is practical yet.
Either stove is going to be a well made, quality stove. Both seem to have a good following of owners here. If ya have a better half that is a big part of the decision making, you may want to show the other half photos of both stoves. The BK is ugly as sin, while the T6 is beautiful. If looks do not matter, than make your decision based on your research and which appeals to you more. You can't go wrong with either one.
I have to assume the EBT does something, otherwise why bother with it. The company could claim just as long burn times with of without. I will say so far, it seems like my fires are much more manageable since I hooked the flapper up on the EBT, since its not getting the added air all the time as it was when the flapper was out of place. I have had some good size loads in it, but not filled to the gills yet. Still too warm here, which is unseasonable in these parts I think.

One thing I would like to point out.
The nominal difference between the T6 & the BKP fire box size is just that, nominal. I highly doubt you'll notice a difference there either way.
While the BK can get supposed longer burn times, this is at low setting. At low your looking at somewhere in the 8,000 to 9,000 BTU range.
Now, a load of wood in any stove can out put a certain amount of BTU's and the BK, PE or any other stove cannot magically create more BTU's from a load of wood.
So yes you can get a 14-16 hr "low" burn in the BK at the low BTU's, but those long burn times do not necessarily translate into heating an entire home or area on the colder nights. So you'll have to turn the BTU output up, for higher BTU's, and this will not give as long burn times as the low setting would. I am no knocking the BK, it seems like an awesome stove. But whether its EBT or a thermostatically controlled cat, btu's is btu's and there is no magic device that can create more btu's out of a load of wood. I know here when its windy as hell and it is below 20 or near zero etc, 8,000 btus is not going to heat this place.
Now a cat burning more of the volatiles, makes sense, but for how long, once the volatiles burn off and its in the next stage, how much is the cat really producing? Similar deal for a secondary combustion set up. Ya get a light show and more burned gasses, but once those volatiles burn down, your going on what is left of the load. If one set up was so much better than the other, everyone would be buying a majority of the one over the other.
Bottom line, make a list of things you have to have in a stove, and a list of things you would like to have. The stove that has most of those two lists, is the stove for you. Last thing you want to do, is regret your decision, after its installed. Good luck.

One dealer I visisted sold PE and Blaze King. He was not at all wanting to show me the Blaze king princess. The dealer said all he gets is compaints on the stove I think that's alittle odd. He did try to push the PE very strongley easy to operate and so on he said he's had no complaint from PE owners. Is this a dealer that can be trusted?

Status
Not open for further replies.