How many years are you ahead in storing firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Update may not have any wood Big Alexander Mountain Fire very close---6000 feet
Hopefully your fire mitigation helps you.

I like to have 3-4 years worth.

I installed a vapor fire 100 after the heating season of 22-23. That thing sips firewood!

Currently have 12 cord red oak CSS along with mixed hardwoods (maple, birch, ash) of about 7 cord. I'm in good shape for a number of years.

But, always adding to it here and there. Retirement is great!!!!

Reactions: Itslay90
I have enough for this year and for two more. If any of the
coming three winters are as mild as the one that just passed it might last longer than that!

4 years, 2 CSS in woodshed, 2 CSS out in open. Did 13 cord last year to go from 2 to 4 years ahead but problem I have is no space (where wifey will allow me to put it), and I don’t want to stack it in the woods. Should have gone BIGGER on woodshed. Might have to go from 5’ to 7’ high on stacks in open!

4 years, 2 CSS in woodshed, 2 CSS out in open. Did 13 cord last year to go from 2 to 4 years ahead but problem I have is no space (where wifey will allow me to put it), and I don’t want to stack it in the woods. Should have gone BIGGER on woodshed. Might have to go from 5’ to 7’ high on stacks in open!
Permission to stack wood?

Permission must be given by She Who Must Be Obeyed.
[Hearth.com] How many years are you ahead in storing firewood?

Reactions: johneh
We are a solid 2 years. With some dead falls from a nader to cut this fall. Should put us at least 3 years maybe more. All hardwood.

Sounds like y'all are ready. Headed into Ohio this next week and supposed to be in the 40s at night. Glad I'm 400 south right now although work in the woods is...... interesting right now.

Need to scrounge up 1/3-1/2 cord yet and get it split by the end of Sept. That will put me at a full 3-year supply.

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd
3 or so. What isn't split and under cover is stacked and also covered. I try to keep all my wood covered and off the ground including the rounds.

Was shorter out than i thought. Just added 2 cords with more on the way, so clawing back to somewhere between 2-3 years.

I am at about 6 to 7 years of dry wood ready to burn. I heat my house entirely with wood. Do I have a problem?
No, you're admirably able to take care of yourself.

I'm 3 years ahead and not spending more space on wood. But I have the itch even if my shed is full...

I'm not a full time burner so it's easier to have 3 years of wood.

Reactions: johneh
The recent addition of 3 1/2 cords of red oak exposed the fact that i way over estimated how much i have for this and next year. This year should be ok but next year looks very light. Like very very light. The year after next season should be fine as the new oak should be ready to go. (It was dead standing and most of the bark has fallen off when i split it.)

So i think i'm gonna have to do a few things for this year and next.
1. Not heat the wood stove room to 80-85 everyday.
2. Conserve wood this year to save some for next year.
3. Find some maple and other faster drying wood for next season. I do have a deadish standing maple (top broke off about 18'-20' up the trunk this summer). But it's not a huge amount. Maybe 1/2 - 3/4 cord max.
4. Get some more fast seasoning wood to mix in with not totally dry year 3 oak if needed at end of year 2.
5. Think about solar kiln, but i don't have much sun on my property and no good place for one.
6. Keep a sharper eye out for people getting rid of seasoned wood they don't want in their yards anymore. (Rare but does happen)

I have another dead standing oak, but since space is limited here, I think i'll let it stay as is to keep room for next season faster drying wood.