Hearthstone truhybrid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nortcan

Feeling the Heat
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec
Hi, I would like to know if someone have and tried the new Hearthstone Heritage Truhybrid 8024 stove and what you think about it the + and the - ? Would be nice if someone could give me a comparison between the Heritage Truhybrid and the Progress Hybrid.

He is looking into new stoves to buy and the Heritage is on the list. The TrueHybrid version is new on the market. It is unknown how well the stove performs or how well it will stand up over time. The firebox is smaller than the Progress Hybrid, which has good track record over several years of being on the market. The Mansfield might be a closer comparison for heat output and longer burn time. Also, Woodstock constructs their soapstone stoves differently than Hearthstone. For the walls they use two layers of soapstone with an airgap. Hearthstone uses large thick solid soapstone walls. The thick stones tend to crack more frequently than the Woodstock design.

I see you are from Canada. Are Woodstock Stoves sold in Quebec?

Reactions: webby3650
He is looking into new stoves to buy and the Heritage is on the list. The TrueHybrid version is new on the market. It is unknown how well the stove performs or how well it will stand up over time. The firebox is smaller than the Progress Hybrid, which has good track record over several years of being on the market. The Mansfield might be a closer comparison for heat output and longer burn time. Also, Woodstock constructs their soapstone stoves differently than Hearthstone. For the walls they use two layers of soapstone with an airgap. Hearthstone uses large thick solid soapstone walls. The thick stones tend to crack more frequently than the Woodstock design.

I see you are from Canada. Are Woodstock Stoves sold in Quebec?

Hi begreen, thanks for the precisions about it. The PH would be my choice if I decide for an other stove in a different place., a little big for my needs but I imagine I could feed the stove with smaller loads of wood. Maybe reducing the firebox size by covering the bottom stoves floor having no ash pan...Having just a side loading door is a *good* question about starting a fire, cleaning the glass...Woodstock reputation sees among the best in the market. Woodstock is not sold in Québec, if a pull the trigger for the PH, I would have to make a nice trip down to your nice Country.

Late to this thread, but I just had mine (Heritage 8024) installed a few days ago and figure others might benefit from a post. I owned the 2008-era model for 8 years before we moved out of that house. I really really loved the stove, and have been pining to get wood heat in our new home for 4 years. Finally went to work on a large downstairs remodel of which the stove is a central feature.

The best part of the stove is the soapstone keeping the stove warm and still pulling a hard draft for a very easy morning restart without downdrafting after a night of burning. The older model was very simple operation - a single lever for air supply.

You do have to be careful about early season burning and make sure you gently break in the stove with a few lower temperature burns to drive moisture out of the stones (or they can crack). Overfiring can also reportedly crack the stones, leading to an expensive repair. I never had the issue, but I was also very careful about the way I ran the stove.

The second best part is the side loading door. It is so much easier to add fuel using the side door - no mess of ash droppings, hot coals falling out no sparks coming out at you. The newer stove is even better since it opens like an upside-down delorean: from the top-down. I only open the front door to wipe off the glass or clean out ash. Don't get the ash pan...it is completely useless. It was default on the old model, and is an option on the new model.

Also the big window is great for folks like me who love to stare at the fire.

From what I can tell, the new stove is identical in function, except it has the new option of running the exhaust through a catalytic baffle for efficient burning at lower temperatures. My understanding is that you can run the stove in non-catalytic mode up to 60k btu/hour, and at catalytic mode, up to about 30k btu/hr (from EPA specifications). Catalytic mode gives you an insanely long slow burn - on my first overnight burn, stove was still very hot in the morning, unlike the previous models, where it would simply be decently warm.

I am still learning the pattern of the stove operation, but I can see the benefit to running hot during the day, with the catalyst disengaged, and then letting it sit on ultra slow-burn (air supply at minimum setting) in super-efficient catalytic mode overnight. So far it seems I have to play a more active role in the burning if I want to use the catalyst in anything but the minimal air setting since there is a temperature window that the stove easily exceeds on the type of burn I would typically want to run. Send too much heat through the catalyst for too long, and it's my understanding that it can get damaged.

As with any stove, but perhaps especially soapstone stoves, and especially catalytics, make sure your wood is good and dry. It was very hard to get a steady non-problematic burn on fresher wood in the previous Heritage I owned. Compare to an ancient Jotul cast iron I had in my old workshop which would eat anything (although certainly not put out the heat I wanted unless the wood was dry), but that was a pain to restart in the am, and which needed to be loaded very often.

In summary:
Pros:
Soapstone heat retention is awesome
Side loading is awesome
I can see the benefits to having a catalytic option: efficiency as the stove is ramping up to higher temps, and a super extended and efficient long-slow-burn mode
Beautiful view window

Cons:
The catalytic option seems to require a bit more hands-on approach if you're going to use it, but it seems like it is optional
There are reports of stones cracking on folks - I never had this.
related: Break in period for new stove and at the beginning of the season to gently drive moisture out, and having to be cautious about avoiding overfiring.

The PH seems like a very similar stove in function at a bit higher price point, with a bit more btus/hr with the larger firebox and surface area. The cooktop seems silly at first glance...I'm not gonna cook bacon and splatter grease all over the beautiful soapstone, and then have it smoke up the house as it burns off. The thermal mass is way bigger - I think the woodstock stoves have two layers of soapstone. 700 flipping pounds! The heritage is 475. Stylistically, I prefer the hearthstone's slightly more modern looking aesthetic, but that's personal opinion only. For me, it was also much easier to get a hearthstone where I live in upstate NY.

Last edited:
I've had a Hearthstone Equinox for about eight years. From my heating standpoint and from Aesthetics, I could not be happier. The biggest negative I see in the new Hearthstone lineup is all of them are exit from the top. I have to have rear exit and I know many people that converted a fireplace to a wood stove will have to have rear exit .This will eliminate them from Hearthstone.

I've had a Hearthstone Equinox for about eight years. From my heating standpoint and from Aesthetics, I could not be happier. The biggest negative I see in the new Hearthstone lineup is all of them are exit from the top. I have to have rear exit and I know many people that converted a fireplace to a wood stove will have to have rear exit .This will eliminate them from Hearthstone.
Blacktop, the Heritage features a rear exit option if that's a preference for the OP.

Reactions: blacktop37
Blacktop, the Heritage features a rear exit option if that's a preference for the OP.
That's good to know at least I got something I could put in if I wear out my Equinox thank you

Reactions: Shrewboy and hubisz
One thing I like about the Progress H. is the stove has andirons in it. I had few VC stoves and they all had andirons, when loading the Heritage it's hard to pile the wood and not have logs touch the front glass and even when burning logs can fall on the glass. So one thing I made was to fabricate andirons on a drop on the base of the stove so the andirons could be removed individually or all the kit can be lift up and removed, all is st-st.

I forgot this : all the parts are removable without affecting the stove's structure, impossible to bend the andirons to the glass, they are 1 inch solid st-st rod droped into a st-st tube. The photo shows the andirons before the final steps on the top.

Attachments

• Hearthstone truhybrid
    IMG_5840.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 324
When it wears out, or when you get tired of sending most of your heat up the flue, look into the PH from Woodstock. You’ll be very surprised at the difference!

And why don't have a PH yet ?
Because it’s too expensive. I have had a hearthstone though. I also work on them, I’m well aware of their issues. I had a Woodstock Fireview for a while, it was awesome.

Because it’s too expensive. I have had a hearthstone though. I also work on them, I’m well aware of their issues. I had a Woodstock Fireview for a while, it was awesome.
Many on the forum said that the Hearthstone /Heritage is too expensive compare to the PH but actually the PH is $3,810.00 and the Heritage flat black like the PH is $3,399.20 from Rocky Mountain, Co, but the PH is a little bigger, is a USA owned company, has the cooking top, has an easier acces to the cat, has a super big heat exchanger, the cat is not at the far back of the stove very close to the flue exit like the Heritage , has andiron, Hearthstone have very poor door latch and hinges and they wear very fast ( I read a lot of bad comments about those issues and the same problems are still on new 2020 stoves so ???), the quality of the stove in general is not reflecting the supposed to be a high end product, but the PH has no front door, no enameled choices. All that said for me if I was in US, I would pay the $400.00 to get a PH. I think that for $400.00 more you get a lot more of plus from the PH stove, but that is my personal opinion, I had 4 Hearthstone stoves yet , but the Ph and the Hearthstone are 2 beautiful soap stone stoves.

I believe the reason you don’t see more Woodstock stoves is that there are no dealers, no showrooms. It’s a superior stove compared to a hearthstone at a fair markup over the hearthstone using the example above.

the hearthstones look good and are easy to buy with slick marketing and a car salesman pushing them in person.

I believe the reason you don’t see more Woodstock stoves is that there are no dealers, no showrooms. It’s a superior stove compared to a hearthstone at a fair markup over the hearthstone using the example above.

the hearthstones look good and are easy to buy with slick marketing and a car salesman pushing them in person.
You're right on that but now do US'ers know that Hearthstone is owned by Hergom, a Spanish company. That remember to me the VC sales adventures and the poor quality of the products it resulted from . Woodstock is owned by US peoples and care for the Woodstock name and reputation. It remembers to me what Mr Ipereto says for their Henry arms : **Made in America or not made at all**.

I don’t have a dislike for Spaniards and some of my favorite products are foreign. That said, I would prefer an American product if all else is equal.

I don’t have a dislike for Spaniards and some of my favorite products are foreign. That said, I would prefer an American product if all else is equal.
On thing is always surprising me : US'ers are pro America ( Canada is also in America LOL), pro patriotism, are proud to have the USA flag in front of their house but are proud to encourage foreing products and send the profits to foreing peoples.
Sorry but that is totally the opposite of my opinion! We should encourage our industry, our business ...first and that long before the oversea sharks...

Reactions: Shrewboy
It sounds to me like you want the PH! Go for it and let us know how it goes!

Maybe I have been lucky, but I have had no issues with the heritage at all. I have a shop 10min away, so if I'm in a spot, I have got help close by.. In the new model, they do have an easily replaceable latch, re: wearing out issue.

It sounds to me like you want the PH! Go for it and let us know how it goes!

Maybe I have been lucky, but I have had no issues with the heritage at all. I have a shop 10min away, so if I'm in a spot, I have got help close by.. In the new model, they do have an easily replaceable latch, re: wearing out issue.
I have a Heritage and a Castleton now , had 2 other Heritage all that in 2 years. All of them had latches issue about the adjustments, when new they worked very very smoothly but after just a few weeks they began to get not smootht at all and it's a pain to play with them to try to find the good adjustment if possible to. I know that Hearthstone make kits to replace the hitch ( and I understand why) but it's not normal to have to replace the hitch as soos as that. in fact if someone had never play with those latches it's hard to believe that. I sent an email to Hearthstone about how to adjust the latch and got no answer yet. I read all hearthstone notes on how to adjust the latch but without success. When they get a few short time the latch is getting rude and like and the friction points wear very fast. Maybe I could try to harden the latch parts ???? Got other issus but I don't want to start a war about stoves .

I have a Heritage and a Castleton now , had 2 other Heritage all that in 2 years. All of them had latches issue about the adjustments, when new they worked very very smoothly but after just a few weeks they began to get not smootht at all and it's a pain to play with them to try to find the good adjustment if possible to. I know that Hearthstone make kits to replace the hitch ( and I understand why) but it's not normal to have to replace the hitch as soos as that. in fact if someone had never play with those latches it's hard to believe that. I sent an email to Hearthstone about how to adjust the latch and got no answer yet. I read all hearthstone notes on how to adjust the latch but without success. When they get a few short time the latch is getting rude and like and the friction points wear very fast. Maybe I could try to harden the latch parts ???? Got other issus but I don't want to start a war about stoves .
Curious why you bought so many Hearthstones knowing their issues?

I put this on the latch and the cast part about 4 times a season. Once per season easily take the latch apart and clean and lube with it also. Stove about 10 years old latches like new!Hearthstone truhybridHearthstone truhybrid

Reactions: Shrewboy
Curious why you bought so many Hearthstones knowing their issues?
I bought the first Heritage 8023 brown Majolic no cat, sold it after one year, then bought a Heritage 8024 Brown Majolic Truhybrid cat. but that stove had so many issues the dealer who sold it decided to replace the stove but I told him to order an enameled black thinking the black would be of better quality of finish but when the enameled black arrived,it was worst than the majolica brown and the dealer didn't even uncrated it. Then I told him to order a flat black one so the enameled poor quality problems would be finished. The dealer did a very nice job . Meanwhile we wanted a smaller stove for the small living room, because we love soapstone we got a Castleton flat back. These stove are very beautifull and that is the mean reason why we stayed with Hearthstone. Here in Québec, having a Progress Hybrid is all a challenge to get . I hope that answer you question. But all that don't explain why Hearthstone makes so complicated latch and why they get rude after a so short time. In the past 38 years we got 12 stoves and no one got that kind of fragile latch. Some love cars, alcohol, drugs, gamble, ...me I like stoves. That is my sole sin LOL.

Reactions: hubisz and Shrewboy