Harman P68 6 blink issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you plan to clean the potentiometers pull the board out of the stove to do it. Crc QD cleaner is safe on boards and plastic. But it is flamable. You don’t want a puddle of that around the stove when you turn it on
CORRECTO!!!!!

Reactions: Washed-Up and Ssyko
Try cycling the 3 knobs from stop to stop with the stove off. May be a dead/ dirty spot on one of them
have tried this a number of times, didnt work. Seems to run 30-45 minutes per restart. I have resorted to stove temp, which is running pretty hot to be honest. I dont know where stove temp is suppose to run, never really used it. It is running steady though, hasnt shut down with 6 blinks. Maybe its the room probe? I feel like I am just tossing darts now.

have tried this a number of times, didnt work. Seems to run 30-45 minutes per restart. I have resorted to stove temp, which is running pretty hot to be honest. I dont know where stove temp is suppose to run, never really used it. It is running steady though, hasnt shut down with 6 blinks. Maybe its the room probe? I feel like I am just tossing darts now.
Stove temp mode, don't think the room probe would be a factoid... . someone correct me if I am wrong...

Stove temp mode, don't think the room probe would be a factoid... . someone correct me if I am wrong...
Stove mode runs off of ESP in the exhaust tunnel. . Not the room probe. Likes to eat lots of pellets too .

I read it wrong. Maybe the room probe..

Stove mode runs off of ESP in the exhaust tunnel. . Not the room probe. Likes to eat lots of pellets too .
Sorry I meant because its running in stove temp without issues. no failure or blinks, could that suggest i have a faulty room probe resulting in it failing when set in room temp.

I'll be honest, I have troubleshot computers for years and it is SO much easier than this nonsense lol. Maybe because a down PC results in just using my phone until i work it out and this result sin a cold house lol

Sorry I meant because its running in stove temp without issues. no failure or blinks, could that suggest i have a faulty room probe resulting in it failing when set in room temp.

I'll be honest, I have troubleshot computers for years and it is SO much easier than this nonsense lol. Maybe because a down PC results in just using my phone until i work it out and this result sin a cold house lol
If u can run it in room mode, while flame is climbing, get an ice cube and hold it against the probe tip. If within a minute or 2 pellets stop feeding and flame drops the probe would appear to not be your problem.

Reactions: Washed-Up
If u can run it in room mode, while flame is climbing, get an ice cube and hold it against the probe tip. If within a minute or 2 pellets stop feeding and flame drops the probe would appear to not be your problem.
wouldnt that mean the probe is the problem? not sure how that rules it out.

wouldnt that mean the probe is the problem? not sure how that rules it out.
Sorry. I posted that backwards. Duh.... in room auto if the flames are low and no feeding, the ice cube will simulate room temperature drop and start feeding pellets within minute or so. Have done that myself just for heck of it.

Well, it just shut down in stove temp. Thought I was going to get some sleep tonight but doesn't look it. I don't know how to keep it on. Can't be the room probe now. exhaust probe ? maybe?
Fines have been cleaned multiple times.
what else is on the list for 6 blinks?

You can try this link, they’re pretty thorough and you may see something we’ve missed

Reactions: SininStyle
double checked that list aside from some things that dont fit like loose burn pot without gasket.
pulled the ash pan, made sure that was correct. Pulled the the door off the fines and made absolutely sure it was on perfectly.
made sure the front door was closed all the way.

about 45 minutes later i went back out and watched it. full size flame, to the top, 6 blinks came on. It quickly died out from there.

everyone breaks down their pellet stove at 3am when its 4F outside.... right?
exhaust pipe just after the combustion fan was caked. just cleaned it last year so never thought to get in there. Must of been all those years old pellets. ashed it up. didnt matter how much i cleaned that probe, I was stuffing it into a pillow. See if this does the trick. I will know in 45 minutes.

everyone breaks down their pellet stove at 3am when its 4F outside.... right?
exhaust pipe just after the combustion fan was caked. just cleaned it last year so never thought to get in there. Must of been all those years old pellets. ashed it up. didnt matter how much i cleaned that probe, I was stuffing it into a pillow. See if this does the trick. I will know in 45 minutes.
So how did u make out???

just cleaned it last year so never thought to get in there. Must of been all those years old pellets. ashed it up. didnt matter how much i cleaned that probe, I was stuffing it into a pillow. See if this does the trick. I will know in 45 minutes.

Stuffing the ESP into a nice insulated ash pillow certainly defeats its ability to "sense" the exhaust gas temperature.
Last year? Hmmmmmmmmmm very interesting;)

Last edited:
You clean the fines out of the feeder once per year and the comb. blower cavity monthly! No need to pull the ESP just run you 3" brush and rod past it a few times when you are cleaning the horizontal and then vac it out.

You clean the fines out of the feeder once per year and the comb. blower cavity monthly! No need to pull the ESP just run you 3" brush and rod past it a few times when you are cleaning the horizontal and then vac it out.
Rick, My preferred method is to pull the ESP and then use a 4" brush with gusto to scrub the living bejesus out of that section of exhaust pathway and not worry that I'll tweak the spendy ESP in the process. The over sized brush head really reams things out effectively.

Rick, My preferred method is to pull the ESP and then use a 4" brush with gusto to scrub the living bejesus out of that section of exhaust pathway and not worry that I'll tweak the spendy ESP in the process. The over sized brush head really reams things out effectively.
I use a long bristle bottle washer gently across the probe. Top and bottom. never read in any manual where the probe has to be down to shiny metal in order to work so not OCD enough to pull it all the time but thats just me.. did pull it and cleaned it up close and personal 1 x in 8 yrs...

Last edited:
I use a bristle bottle washer gently across the probe. Top and bottom. never read where the probe has to be down to shiny metal in order to work so not OCD enough to pull it regularly..
It's not that I'm especially worried about getting the ESP super clean. It's that I do want to super clean the exhaust path without tweaking the ESP in the process. After buying several used Harmans that had coked up exhaust paths with bent ESPs I've been sensitized to that potential scenario. I'll add that right side rear fairing is always off so it's super easy for me to pull the ESP. If I was cleaning commercially I might be tempted to skip my routine.

It's not that I'm especially worried about getting the ESP super clean. It's that I do want to super clean the exhaust path without tweaking the ESP in the process. After buying several used Harmans that had coked up exhaust paths with bent ESPs I've been sensitized to that potential scenario. I'll add that right side rear fairing is always off so it's super easy for me to pull the ESP. If I was cleaning commercially I might be tempted to skip my routine.
Understand.. i burn pricey softwoods so my exhaust tunnel usually just has a powdery light colored residue..

I use a long bristle bottle washer gently across the probe. Top and bottom. never read in any manual where the probe has to be down to shiny metal in order to work so not OCD enough to pull it all the time but thats just me.. did pull it and cleaned it up close and personal 1 x in 8 yrs...
I also use a long bottle brush to clean it. I have an oversize stiff brush but have it marked how far in should go before hitting the ESP..and if I do the whole tunnel I pull the ESP..

had no idea. I dont even own a brush. In the off season I just pull the ESP, clean that good, then send a long paint stirring stick down each side and pull it out until clean.
Guess i'll have to get a brush if its a monthly thing. any suggestions?

had no idea. I dont even own a brush. In the off season I just pull the ESP, clean that good, then send a long paint stirring stick down each side and pull it out until clean.
Guess i'll have to get a brush if its a monthly thing. any suggestions?
Get a lint brush. The kind they use to clean dryer vents.. just go easy back and forth.

Reactions: SininStyle
I've only pulled the esp probe once, a couple years ago, just to see it up close. I use a 1" paint brush taped to a long wooden paint stirring stick.