Had to finally rebuild the splitter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

bigealta

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 22, 2010
Utah & NJ
Have been running my splitter with substantial structural disintegration. Just finished splitting 3 1/2 cords of oak with the "floating head". Finally said enough is enough and just replaced the withering structural support.

She's like a new splitter now but does strangely feel different in the "throw".

[Hearth.com] Had to finally rebuild the splitter.

[Hearth.com] Had to finally rebuild the splitter.

Reactions: Slimdusty
That does not look like a good repair job to me. I have this ax that's in a drawer or something and I am looking for to take a picture of it that my late husband fixed to share with you. As far as I know he took some real strong twine or string--don't know but them he put varnish on it after he wrapped it--it might even be knitting thread or something but it was wonderful--might take awhile for me to find it in this house--or even maybe some leather strapping on it or something???I think he put on a few coats of varnish as well...clancey

That does not look like a good repair job to me. I have this ax that's in a drawer or something and I am looking for to take a picture of it that my late husband fixed to share with you. As far as I know he took some real strong twine or string--don't know but them he put varnish on it after he wrapped it--it might even be knitting thread or something but it was wonderful--might take awhile for me to find it in this house--or even maybe some leather strapping on it or something???I think he put on a few coats of varnish as well...clancey
Wow tough crowd. Not sure what i can do more that a new handle with some tape to monitor my misses and over swings. I do know about the string / leather wrap techniques but i prefer to run mine naked. It does not stick as much when buried in a stringy 1/2 split. The price for running bare butt is greater abuse. I'm good with that.

Tape is just a reminder to maybe be a bit more careful. I have a more abusive splitting method than many. In the long run it's faster for me to often split on the far side of large rounds which risks hitting the handle. I go thru about a handle every couple years so not a big deal to be a bit rough on handles for better speed and less body abuse.

Reactions: clancey