Froling Add-on Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Marshy

Minister of Fire
Dec 29, 2016
NY
Hi guys, figured I'd get a thread going on my install. It's been a slow start but as the temps are starting to change it will become an increasing priority and will pick up a lot of speed. I'm adding a Froling FHGL to my existing baseboard heating system that has an oil boiler. I'll be using a solartechnics 820 gal thermal storage tank with a 100 kbtu/hr heat exchanger. For my configuration it made the most sense to add a small room on the outside of the basement foundation wall. I exceed all of my minimum clearances and have a very convenient location for the class A chimney pipe. Also, the storage tank will be located in a closet space on the other side of the foundation wall within 4 linear feet of the boiler. I'm working on finishing the metal roof and all the flashing and walls to get it buttoned up. Here are some pictures of the room I've been building. My long term goal is to have a lean-to all the way down the edge of my deck to stack my firewood under so I wanted to match the roof line on the room. I also didnt want the roof to be higher than. The deck boards.

Ok, technical difficulty loading pictures. Seems the file is too large straight off my phone. I'd hate to have to use photo bucket. That adds a lot of work. Any suggestions?

Reactions: hobbyheater
Transfer to computer then install a free program called PIC RESIZER.

You don't happen to know the max size do you?

Don't know exactly what you're asking. Program allows you to pick any pixel size from the original size that the camera produces.

Don't know exactly what you're asking. Program allows you to pick any pixel size from the original size that the camera produces.
Sorry, max size of files/photos on this site for upload.

IMG_20170814_182021798-1312x738.jpg

That's basically where I'm at now. The room is roughly 6x8 and will have two windows in it and a 36" entry door. The room will have enough room to store about 1/3 or a face cord.

Good pics! If you are using Re-sizer you could further reduce them so those of us with small screens don't have to scroll to see larger portions of the photo.

So will the 820 gallons of storage be boiler water or floor water? Or will there be two heat exchangers?

Thank you for taking the time for this thread. Would love to hear about costs at the end since that is my reason for delaying or abandoning the wood boiler concept.

Reactions: Marshy
Neither. The Solartechnics tank is unpressurized holding tank for thermal storage. The system will be configured with a large copper coil heat exchanger that is submerged inside the tank. The heat exchanger will work for both heat addition and removal to/from the tank. The coil heat exchanger will be plumbed into the existing manifold system which is pressurized and circulates to the baseboard. The boiler controls will give priority to the house loads when demand is present and fire is burning otherwise the controls will recharge the tank. When there is no fire the heat comes from the tank.
I've been kind of fortunate because I bought the tank used and I also bought my chimney pipe private but never used. I'll tabulate the costs later and let you know.

Last edited:
Reactions: huffdawg and maple1
Yes. It's a FHGL 20/30. Tarm had a few on sale so I picked one up.
How do you like yours?

Its been awesome, just started burning about a week ago. Small batch fires, using the buffer tank , not the storage tanks yet.

Looks like your making a nice little home for yours.

Huff

Reactions: Marshy
Its been awesome, just started burning about a week ago. Small batch fires, using the buffer tank , not the storage tanks yet.

Looks like your making a nice little home for yours.

Huff
Yes, little home being the key. How large is your buffer tank? Got a build thread for your system?

Last edited:
Yes. It's a FHGL 20/30. Tarm had a few on sale so I picked one up.
How do you like yours?

They went on sale at a very attractive price just after I bought a used Scandtec Solo Plus 30 from a guy on here. I paid more for my tanks than I did for the boiler and pumps.

They went on sale at a very attractive price just after I bought a used Scandtec Solo Plus 30 from a guy on here. I paid more for my tanks than I did for the boiler and pumps.
I got lucky, great boiler at a significant discount and a used modular storage tank with heat exchanger at a good price as well; and 25' of Selkirk for a song and dance. I'm hoping the total cost of the project including the room is $10k.

I made progress to the room enclosure but you probably can't tell how much. I wasn't able to take a picture yesterday before getting rained out. The metal roof is done and just have some flashing to finish. Next is get the chimney pipe installed.
IMG_20171014_175802974-1312x738.jpg
IMG_20171014_175904637-738x1312.jpg
IMG_20171014_175833392-738x1312.jpg

Got the door installed and windows in. Did some more flashing but have some more to go. After flashing is done I'll install the chimney pipe, run some power wire, insulate the room, and sheetrock it with 5/8 board. Meanwhile I have a two part epoxy floor coating I'm painting the closet space with before the tank is assembled in the basement. Gotta kick it in high gear, fall is coming to a quick close it seems.
IMG_20171023_175244589-738x1312.jpg

IMG_20171023_175309505-738x1312.jpg

IMG_20171023_180019677-1312x738.jpg

IMG_20171023_180028404-1312x738.jpg