Englander NC30 and proximity to furniture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Spencer7

Sep 30, 2020
Kansas
Hello,

We recently moved into a house that has an old Franklin wood stove that is obviously not the most safe or efficient. I'm looking to replace it with an Englander NC30. We live in a big house, but the stove is in a relatively small room although it is open to multiple rooms. The room the stove is going in would have furniture within a couple feet of the stove. This was always okay with the Franklin. I'm wondering if the NC30 would be too hot to sit very close to or is the heat distributed away from the stove pretty well? This is probably a pretty basic question, but I'm new to wood stoves!

It's good to consider the upgrade. That sounds too close. The fire temp inside of the 30NC will be considerably higher than in the old Franklin. The front part of the stove gets quite hot.

Do you already have the 30NC? does it have the side shields?

I don’t have the 30NC yet. I think it’s the right size for the house, just not sure about it being too big for the furniture around it. Front of stove to a couch would be about 5 feet

Actually maybe 6-7 ft

I spend a lot of my time in a chair only a couple of feet directly in front of a 750 degree nc30! There’s safety and then there is comfort. Then it matters how hot the room is and how you’re dressed.

Reactions: charger4406
I don’t have the 30NC yet. I
Plan on buying used? Because the 30 is NLA...they do however have the similar NC32 now though...

6-7’ in front of the stove will be fine, I built a heat shield on one side next to the couch and have 20” between stove and couch now and is comfortable to sit there when stove is 600 deg.

No blower with the new 32nc, its a fully radiant stove now, just an fyi