Looking for guidance on fireplace conversion (with pics/measurements)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rolohman

Dec 9, 2023
Upstate NY
Good morning! I've been lurking for a bit, trying to glean information about what could work in our house, and I think I'm at the point where it would be VERY helpful to get feedback from anyone willing to look at our layout.

We are in upstate New York and have a beautiful cast iron Fisher stove in our family room that we use frequently. We also have a fireplace in a cathedral-ceiling living room on the other side of the house. We only used the fireplace twice when we first moved in - the husband complained that the room seemed to get colder when we lit a fire. However, now that our kids are older we've added some comfy furniture in there and would love to be able to install an efficient wood stove or insert in the fireplace, like some of the pictures I've seen on here.

However, I'm afraid that our distance-to-cumbustible dimensions are too small and that perhaps even the fireplace isn't okay! So, we are wondering if people have any ideas about whether there are any models that would fit and be allowable in our current fireplace. I'm willing to replace the carpeting around the existing hearth with some slate tiles, but I don't think it'd be in our budget to redo the entire hearth.

It'd be very helpful if someone who knows about these things could let us know if we need to just let go of our hope for this fireplace conversion, and instead just treat it as a decorative accent (which is what it's been for the past 15 years).

Thank you!

fireplace.png

IMG_8386.jpeg

Welcome. Hubby is right, fireplaces suck the heat out of the room once the fire has died down. In order to advise we need to know more about what will be heated by the insert.

Is the fireplace room open to the rest of the house or closed off by a doorway? How large is it and how high is the ceiling? Is there a ceiling fan in this room? Will the insert or stove be used 24/7 or more likely just occasionally on nights and weekends? Is there power adjacent to the fireplace to power a blower in the insert?

Note, Fisher stoves are steel, not cast iron.

Reactions: rolohman
Ooh, thank you for the info about the Fisher stove - it is black so I assumed "cast iron".

It'd be occasional use on nights and weekends - there is a 5-foot wide archway to the rest of the house, and the ceiling is about 18' on one side of the room and 8 feet on the other. No ceiling fan.

Here's a picture of our main stove in the family room, just to share. It keeps the family room, dining room and kitchen toasty when we have it fired up. The little fan thing on the top isn't expected to actually move air around - we DO have a ceiling fan in this room. It's useful to keep us aware of when the stove is hot!
IMG_8387.jpeg

Ooh, thank you for the info about the Fisher stove - it is black so I assumed "cast iron".
They are definitely steel bodied stoves but have cast iron doors. Note that wood is much too close to the stove. By code, as an unlisted stove, it is supposed to have 36" clearance from all combustibles.
It'd be occasional use on nights and weekends - there is a 5-foot wide archway to the rest of the house, and the ceiling is about 18' on one side of the room and 8 feet on the other. No ceiling fan.
A ceiling fan will be almost essential in the fireplace room. Without one, most of the heat will stratify and pocket up near the peak of the 18' ceiling. It could be 70º down at floor level and 110º up at the ceiling.

It looks like a fairly large insert will be good here. There are some basic choices, either flush like a Lopi Hybrid large or Regency 2700 (or Hampton H500 for a more classic look). Or one that projects further out onto the hearth like the Osburn 2000, Pacific Energy Summit, Regency 2450i, etc.

How wide is the fireplace at the back where it shrinks down?

About 24.5 inches. And sorry - took the photo when the wood had been placed there because we were vacuuming. Normally it's not up there.

About 24.5 inches. And sorry - took the photo when the wood had been placed there because we were vacuuming. Normally it's not up there.
It will be close for fitting some of the inserts mentioned. Double-check with the final selections.

I prefer free standing wood stoves in these situations but that's me. No need for blowers.

I’d prefer that but wasn’t sure if my hearth was deep enough.
Will need floor protection in front but i think an insert would need that as well. There are definitely some that would fit.

A flush insert won't need more hearth protection but the non-flush ones will need some at floor level. A freestanding stove has to clear the lintel and generally works better with a blower, especially when tucked deep in a fireplace cavity. This requires convection to get the heat out into the room. Some people opt for not putting a surround on their inserts. This can help vent a bit more heat from the fireplace cavity.

For sure, when getting the quote for installing the insulated stainless 6" liner, be sure to request an insulated block-off plate to seal off the damper area.