door hinge pin holes oblong

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So did it work? I hate worn out hinges! Had this with a cast iron hearthstone and sold the stove as a result.
not good enough for me. I got the JB Weld in the hole and let it sit for 24 hrs. I left a little daylight going through it so I could file the hole to the 6mm opening. I just used a small drill bit and worked it back and forth by hand until the file would fit. I then put the door on with just the bottom pin in and closed the door while holding it up so I wouldn't put any stress on the lower hinge pin. when I looked down through the hinge tab on the door & then through the hinge tab on the stove, it was a clean round hole straight through. I mean I was able to push it through with the handle of a screw driver. I thought I was home free, but when I opened the door I could still feel some play coming from the hinges(when i lift up on the handle side of the door). The door is not rubbing on the air enrichment lever when I open and close it, so that parts good. It swings straight open and the door doesn't swing back when you let it go. Guess that'll have to do for now. I'll get in the habit of using the side door and back off using the front to much. I'm thinking about trying one more thing. I'm going to try one of those split tension pins. I'll use one that's just a hair larger than the hole so it'll compress while i tap it in with a brass hammer. I'll make it long enough to stick up through the top and the bottom of the hinge. This might make it more ridged, after this I'm done. I'm sure this stove will give me many more years with a little TLC. Sorry I didn't get back sooner but I was waiting to try the tension pin. If need be I can get a slightly larger pin and put it on a lathe to mill it a touch over 6mm.

Reactions: Highbeam
Even better use a straw or some thing plastic or foam that can easily be drilled or pushed out.
yeah I was going go with the wooden dowel and drill it out. In fact I cut a couple down at different sizes and was ready to beat them in.
I just answered highbean you can read my post of where i'm at. I like your ideas and thought of them but went with the JB Weld.
Tension pin will be my next and last idea, when I get to it✍️

Lubricate the hinge pin with graphite powder or never-seiz to get the best life out of the repair. Keep us posted on how it's standing up.