Closed system w/1000 gallons storage - Water treatment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

3fordasho

Minister of Fire
Jul 20, 2007
South Central Minnesota
Just curious is anyone treats their water in a closed/pressurized system? 1000+gallons so traditional boiler treatments are normally sized for a 30 gallon system and would get very expensive for a system with 1000 gallons.

We use Damon Boiler-Rite #39 at work...comes in a 5 gallon bucket, only takes a few qts to treat a 300 gallon system...works well...the boiler is a 1969 model, only been re-tubed once, and they said that was a waste of time/money...told us whatever we are doing for maintenance, keep doing it. I'll hafta check the price, but I don't think its too expensive.
http://damonq.com/watertreat.html

Last edited:
Just curious is anyone treats their water in a closed/pressurized system? 1000+gallons so traditional boiler treatments are normally sized for a 30 gallon system and would get very expensive for a system with 1000 gallons.
I treated my 1400 gallon Switzer just to be safe. Chemical was around $500, but should never have to be touched again. I still send samples in every two years for piece of mind. A little bit of $ for a large investment. Don’t remember the treatment off hand. Went thru Wood boiler solutions llc.

I didn't.

Well, maybe I did, but not sure I should admit it. When it was time to fill my tanks, it was also time to drain our above ground pool. And I didnt want to stress our shallow well and well pump. So I let the filter pump go on that for a couple days and got the ph adjusted with some pool ph booster, then drained the pool into my tanks. That likely wasn't 'kosher', but no issues yet, after 7 years, even with my 'sensitive to impurities' Alpha ECM circulator.

I did but forget the name. Keeps the seals flexible

Did you purchase direct from them or do they sell through others?
We purchase direct...I can get you the sales guys info if you want it...