Can you identify our TimberLine wood heater?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kevinkevin

Nov 5, 2023
Phelan, 92371
Can you identify this wood heater? If possible, please provide a manual.
I would like to check if it can be used for manufactured house.

Additionally, I noticed there is space on the left and right sides inside the heater, and it seems something is missing. Could you please let me know what is supposed to be there?

This wood heater is intended for a rental house(section 8). A few months ago, I sought advice from this forum about the suitability of having a wood heater in a rental property, and the consensus was that it might not be a good idea.

If a tenant has prior experience using a wood heater, do you still think it's a bad idea? If it is still not advisable, I will consider fixing and welding the door instead of removing it.

By the way, do you know if we can have an old wood stove for a Section 8 rental house?
We already installed mini split for heating and cooling. However we want to keep the stove because remvoing it will cost more, and having wood stove make the house look better.

Thank you.

1715058569904.png

1715059070667.png

1715058576165.png

1715058582278.png

Maybe firebrick is supposed to be there.

Many people drive a car every day and probably have done so for years. Some people are still horrible drivers and will even tell you that they are great drivers. Do you really want them to play with fire in your house?

Your section 8 specific questions are probably best answered by the people in charge of section 8.

Reactions: kevinkevin
Since there isn’t a back tag on that stove, the tenant would need 36” of space on each side before combustibles could be placed like furniture.

Also I suggest to check for water intrustion into the chimney. Even if you weld the doors, you don't want rusty water to drip into your home...?

I'd surely not leave this operable. Problems waiting to happen.

I would rip all that out, no way should it be in a rental house, tons of liability. Looks like you have even bigger issues to address with that property. That setup is far from safe and from the looks of it was put in on a shoestring budget which makes me wonder about the rest of it (chimney).

You have heating/air via the heatpump, I would rip the woodstove setup out and call it a day, you will thank yourself later for going ahead and removing it and give your renter more room.

The stove is not legal for use in a mobile home. It lacks UL certification and an outside air connection.

What is the greenhouse made of? You still will have to deal with the clearances question. If it’s a plastic panel greenhouse, or wood framed, the walls are combustible. 36” clearance. Depending on your chimney, you’re going to need clearances cut in that too. It may be quite a big hole if singlewall. So yes, it can be done. Are you ok with the loss of floor space and the potentially large hole in the roof of your greenhouse?