Blaze King whiteout.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be clear I have absolutely no issues at all with bk stoves. They are great stoves without question. The only issue I have is with the guys who act like bks are perfect for everyone in every situation and that nothing could ever possibly go wrong with them. That and I really cant stand the look of the classic stoves but oh well. And yeah if you are going to give me a bk I would gladly try it out. But I am not buying one any time soon lol.
Well, you never know...we do conduct beta testing every few years. If you can't abide by the BK owners comments, why follow the threads?

If you can't abide by the BK owners comments, why follow the threads?
I generally don't follow them. Most of the ones I comment on are concerning the chimneys. Because it seems that many bk guys see no reason to insulate liners. I have had to point out the code more to die hard bk guys more than anyone else. In fact when I pointed it out to you last you told me there was no requirement for clearance on a masonry chimney. I also like correct people when they are claiming 4x the efficiency or any of the other way over the top claims I see here allot. And this one concerned me apparently that concern was unfounded but to me a roughly 4 cubic foot firebox that is as he described fully engulfed in flames to the point of a white out for 20 mins has to be really pushing the limits of that steel. But you obviously know your stoves better than me.

There would be no better Beta tester for BK than bholler. He calls 'em as he sees 'em, and if it works for him, I fear for the future of other stove manufacturers. If it doesn't, well, then we have a valuable counterpoint, and BK gets some valuable data.

Fired up the BK,with a load of cherry 15% checked with a General moisture meter,at setting #5 the entire stove was engulfed with this inferno . Let her rip for about 20 minutes ,then cut it back to about #4 and enjoyed a fireshow for about 2 hours.
View attachment 191113
Here's the King Parlor loafing along at about 4"clock on the tstat dial. Hope this calms down those of you who got alarmed.

Fired up the BK,with a load of cherry 15% checked with a General moisture meter,at setting #5 the entire stove was engulfed with this inferno . Let her rip for about 20 minutes ,then cut it back to about #4 and enjoyed a fireshow for about 2 hours.
Here's the BK parlor loafing along at setting 4 on the tstat for those of you that got alarmed by the whiteout,hope this calms you all down,and merry Xmas to all.
Blaze King whiteout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Highbeam
There would be no better Beta tester for BK than bholler. He calls 'em as he sees 'em, and if it works for him, I fear for the future of other stove manufacturers. If it doesn't, well, then we have a valuable counterpoint, and BK gets some valuable data.
No way. Even if it works for him he won't admit it. I think he hates BK like I hate german cars. ;)

No way. Even if it works for him he won't admit it. I think he hates BK like I hate german cars.
No I dont hate bk in anyway whatsoever. I strongly dislike the look of the classic stoves but I would have no problem running them in my basement where no one would see them. Or any of their other stoves many of which look fantastic where they can be seen. My issue is with the bk fanatics that exaggerate what the stoves can do absurdly yes they are great stoves yes they are very efficient but they don't make btus that are not there. And they are not that much more efficient than other stoves out there.

Glad to see this was just a false scare and that the owner's manual can still be followed. Good thing we get those dang manuals so we don't break our stoves.

Bolt in retainers. Oh, I like that.

Reactions: rdust
I generally don't follow them. Most of the ones I comment on are concerning the chimneys. Because it seems that many bk guys see no reason to insulate liners. I have had to point out the code more to die hard bk guys more than anyone else. In fact when I pointed it out to you last you told me there was no requirement for clearance on a masonry chimney. I also like correct people when they are claiming 4x the efficiency or any of the other way over the top claims I see here allot. And this one concerned me apparently that concern was unfounded but to me a roughly 4 cubic foot firebox that is as he described fully engulfed in flames to the point of a white out for 20 mins has to be really pushing the limits of that steel. But you obviously know your stoves better than me.
Glad to see this was just a false scare and that the owner's manual can still be followed. Good thing we get those dang manuals so we don't break our stoves.

Bolt in retainers. Oh, I like that.
I knew you would!

I was just thinking about that very stove feature following an incident where my wife didn't close the bypass after reloading while I was at work.

Exactly what does it take to melt those retainers? Mine still seem fine and they get abused a couple times a year (that I notice).

I was just thinking about that very stove feature following an incident where my wife didn't close the bypass after reloading while I was at work.

Exactly what does it take to melt those retainers? Mine still seem fine and they get abused a couple times a year (that I notice).
They don't melt. The can warp if the unit is burned with the bypass open too frequently. Once the cat is active, close the bypass. Merry Christmas Jetsam!

Mine seem to be melted some on the cat side only. No "incident" occured. Small house, mild climate, bad luck I guess. They still seem to work so maybe manufacturing processes cause what looks like melting. I never got a response to my pictures.

Mine seem to be melted some on the cat side only. No "incident" occured. Small house, mild climate, bad luck I guess. They still seem to work so maybe manufacturing processes cause what looks like melting. I never got a response to my pictures.
PM me the pics please...

PM me the pics please...

You bet. Tuesday please.

I think I was probably one of the posters referred to earlier as being very quick to recommend a bk to those folks that want high performance from their wood heaters. I don't apologize for that since I really do believe that the brand is on top. No brand is perfect though and we had a whole thread about bk imperfections which makes it clear that the bk fans aren't blind, stupid, or looking through rose colored glasses, and our wives (husbands too) put out! I worry more about the posters going out of their way to talk down about the brand despite never running or seeing one.

I think I was probably one of the posters referred to earlier as being very quick to recommend a bk to those folks that want high performance from their wood heaters. I don't apologize for that since I really do believe that the brand is on top. No brand is perfect though and we had a whole thread about bk imperfections which makes it clear that the bk fans aren't blind, stupid, or looking through rose colored glasses, and our wives (husbands too) put out! I worry more about the posters going out of their way to talk down about the brand despite never running or seeing one.
Yes but you are more reasonable than some others in that regard. You do admit some of the absurd claims are false like the whole thread about the 4x as efficient claim there were some still defending that claim even after bkvp said it was inaccurate. I have also seen bk fans claim it was perfectly normal to see flames shooting out the top of the chimney when burning with the bypass open then in the next thread claim that because of the low exhaust temps there is no need to insulate liners for bks. So yes there are some bk fans that are looking through rose colored glasses and do give some dangerous advice.

And again to be clear I am by no means putting down bk stoves I agree for cat stoves they are at the top for sure. And I have recommended a bk many times here or in the field when I thought that it fit the customers needs best. But they do not fit everyone's needs in every situation.

Reactions: Highbeam
Yes but you are more reasonable than some others in that regard. You do admit some of the absurd claims are false like the whole thread about the 4x as efficient claim there were some still defending that claim even after bkvp said it was inaccurate. I have also seen bk fans claim it was perfectly normal to see flames shooting out the top of the chimney when burning with the bypass open then in the next thread claim that because of the low exhaust temps there is no need to insulate liners for bks. So yes there are some bk fans that are looking through rose colored glasses and do give some dangerous advice.

And again to be clear I am by no means putting down bk stoves I agree for cat stoves they are at the top for sure. And I have recommended a bk many times here or in the field when I thought that it fit the customers needs best. But they do not fit everyone's needs in every situation.

Well, if we're going to air out grievances! I'm having trouble understanding your claim that a BK wouldn't work for you because it takes too many btu's to heat your home so you couldn't take advantage of the long burn times.

The climate in central Pa. would suggest there's many days you could take advantage of the long burn times unless your current stove is too small to heat your home.

I have nothing noteworthy to add, what works for sum doesn't work for all, I rather have people that don't like the BK's because it provides an abstract thought and keeps conversations going.
I know after owning one for 3 seasons this works for me, others that have the same knows what works for them.

Well, if we're going to air out grievances! I'm having trouble understanding your claim that a BK wouldn't work for you because it takes too many btu's to heat your home so you couldn't take advantage of the long burn times.

The climate in central Pa. would suggest there's many days you could take advantage of the long burn times unless your current stove is too small to heat your home.

Well no my stove is not large enough to provide all of the btus I would need to heat my whole house once the temps drop into the low 20s. I heat the first floor with wood and the second with oil. Yes I could put a bigger stove in that would provide enough btus in all but the extremes but then my first floor would be to hot and uncomfortable for me. The layout of our house just makes it very difficult to distribute the heat. And I am willing to burn a tank of oil a year to have my house comfortable for me. I heat from my fully insulated basement so even in mild weather I burn the stove normally heat up the basement and that heat slowly works its way up to the first floor and in that mild weather it does also go upstairs some. Then I let the stove go out. And when the temp in the house drops I reload. Yes in that weather a cat stove could work fine but most of our heating season is not like that. My next stove may be a cat stove and possibly a bk. But at the time I put in my regency I could not spend the extra money on a bk for the small amount of time it would be a real benefit for me.

But at the time I put in my regency I could not spend the extra money on a bk for the small amount of time it would be a real benefit for me
I get exactly what your saying with the heat out put of one vs the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.