Blaze King whiteout.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Fired up the BK,with a load of cherry 15% checked with a General moisture meter,at setting #5 the entire stove was engulfed with this inferno . Let her rip for about 20 minutes ,then cut it back to about #4 and enjoyed a fireshow for about 2 hours.
Blaze King whiteout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Blazing
You let it burn like that for 20 mins??? What were your stove temps? Stack temps? That just sounds like you are asking for trouble.

You let it burn like that for 20 mins??? What were your stove temps? Stack temps? That just sounds like you are asking for trouble.
Stove front about 700',stack double wall about 300'do it all the time with the first BK,King and the parlor now,let's hear from others.

'do it all the time with the first BK,King
Yes and you replaced it after 5 years so we really have no idea if you shortened the life of that stove by burning it in that way. What was the stove top temps? What was the internal temp of that double wall? In my experience burning a stove that hard is going to shorten the life of that stove. Granted I have never burnt a bk but they are still just steel bodied stoves and they are susceptible to the same heat stresses as any other steel stove.

Yes and you replaced it after 5 years so we really have no idea if you shortened the life of that stove by burning it in that way. What was the stove top temps? What was the internal temp of that double wall? In my experience burning a stove that hard is going to shorten the life of that stove. Granted I have never burnt a bk but they are still just steel bodied stoves and they are susceptible to the same heat stresses as any other steel stove.

This isn't any other steel stove. It's a blaze king and he is just following the directions in the owners manual. If the stove was getting too hot the thermostat would have closed itself. You've just got to know and trust your equipment. He gave you the flue temp information, however he measured that it was plenty low.

Really I think you are overreacting to a crappy (sorry op) photo that is fuzzy and overexposed and looks worse than it is.

The manufacturer is very clear that every fuel load is to be initiated with 20-30 minutes on high.

What's with this #5 and #4 stuff? My numbers only go to #3.

The trauma of The Great Sticker Debacle Of 2015 has erased Highbeam's memory of the entire thread!

Lucky bugger...

I have accidentally burned my BK on max air for a full load with no harm done to the stove, as far as I can tell.

Reactions: Highbeam
He gave you the flue temp information, however he measured that it was plenty low.
No he gave me the outside temp of double wall pipe which at 300 is very high not plenty low at all.

The trauma of The Great Sticker Debacle Of 2015 has erased Highbeam's memory of the entire thread!

Lucky bugger...

I have accidentally burned my BK on max air for a full load with no harm done to the stove, as far as I can tell.

Poindexter does it on purpose.

This isn't any other steel stove. It's a blaze king and he is just following the directions in the owners manual. If the stove was getting too hot the thermostat would have closed itself. You've just got to know and trust your equipment. He gave you the flue temp information, however he measured that it was plenty low.

Really I think you are overreacting to a crappy (sorry op) photo that is fuzzy and overexposed and looks worse than it is.

The manufacturer is very clear that every fuel load is to be initiated with 20-30 minutes on high.

What's with this #5 and #4 stuff? My numbers only go to #3.
My stove does'nt have numbers only a white line that goes from thin to thick,the numbers i'm referring to are just me referencing a clocks face in correlation with my setting.

I wanted a different look in the Parlor VS Ultra,and sold the stove to a forum member who burns it just about 24/7 he has no complaints that I know of,the stove was as new. BK 's are meant to burn hard ask the folks in AK,who run them.And if by some chance I burn mine out,oh well buy another.I hardly think running it a couple hours will damage anything,somebody give me some help here,BKVP where are you?

I posted about something similar. It's very nice knowing you can forget to turn it down and the worst thing that happens is the house gets to warm. I have never needed to run mine on max for a full load yet but wouldn't have any reservations about doing so if I ever need that much heat.

I posted about something similar. It's very nice knowing you can forget to turn it down and the worst thing that happens is the house gets to warm. I have never needed to run mine on max for a full load yet but wouldn't have any reservations about doing so if I ever need that much heat.
Amen ,my buyer lives in your state about 10 miles from snowshoe,says it gets real cold in those Wva,mts.

I dont have any cherry to run, but i would burn it if i could.

I dind surface temp of double wall pipe is useless. 300 indicated surface could be anywhere from 400 to 1100ish via flue gas probe running side by side. Probably fine.

I do find 500 to 600 dF per flue gas probe 18" above the box when running wide open. Maybe hotter than i would like, but a small price to pay.

@op, cat probe indicator down in active zone? If yes ur golden.

I had some nice wood in her last night lol. :). I mean the stove. Stove top temps in the 500 range for over ten hrs! The cat was glowing real good!

Reactions: Blazing
I had some nice wood in her last night lol. :). I mean the stove. Stove top temps in the 500 range for over ten hrs! The cat was glowing real good!
yeah and at those temps I see no issue at all but when someone says they have the entire roughly 4 cubic foot firebox totally engulfed in flames for a full 20 mins I just don't see how that could not be overheating the steel of that stove. Now maybe he was exaggerating for effect I don't know. But bk or not it is a steel stove and to much heat will hurt them.

yeah and at those temps I see no issue at all but when someone says they have the entire roughly 4 cubic foot firebox totally engulfed in flames for a full 20 mins I just don't see how that could not be overheating the steel of that stove. Now maybe he was exaggerating for effect I don't know. But bk or not it is a steel stove and to much heat will hurt them.

Well i see what you saying but i think that there is no damage to a blaze king when you run it like that. 1) thermostat closed avoiding an overheating issue. 2) the cat gets hotter than the fire and the cat is closer to the top than the fire. The cat can get up to 1800df.and like i said it is closer to stove top than the fire in the firebox. Now, when you char the wood for awhile and shut the air to low most of the time the cat gets hotter. cause wood still gassing regardless that the tsta is closed. i dont see the overheating issue here as you see but i can be wrong.

Well i see what you saying but i think that there is no damage to a blaze king when you run it like that. 1) thermostat closed avoiding an overheating issue. 2) the cat gets hotter than the fire and the cat is closer to the top than the fire. The cat can get up to 1800df.and like i said it is closer to stove top than the fire in the firebox. Now, when you char the wood for awhile and shut the air to low most of the time the cat gets hotter. cause wood still gassing regardless that the tsta is closed. i dont see the overheating issue here as you see but i can be wrong.
Yes I know how they work and I know the top over the cat will get much hotter than a non cat. And yes I know the thermostat is supposed to close to keep it from overfiring. But I am saying that after 20 mins of a huge firebox totally full of flame I dont see how that box could not be in the range of an overfire.

Ok. this is what i notice on mine. i reload and cause always in my reload the cat is in the active zone i close the door and bypass. let it run those 20-30 minutes that BK recommend but i have to tell you that sometime 10 minutes is enough. most of the time what give me the signal that i can start dial it down is that the flame start to slow down cause the tstat is closing already. but if i keep it on high the flame slow down more and more. at that point the temp is about 625-650 and cat probe at the end of the scale. if you let open you see how temp set back on its own about 600 and tstat probe do the same. Cause tstat is closing controlling intake. I know you know how it works but I just saying that it is hard to cause an overheating to these stoves. I will recommend anyway always keep an eye on it in case the tstat fail one day.

Reactions: bholler
Yes I know how they work and I know the top over the cat will get much hotter than a non cat. And yes I know the thermostat is supposed to close to keep it from overfiring. But I am saying that after 20 mins of a huge firebox totally full of flame I dont see how that box could not be in the range of an overfire.

We don't know at what point in the burn the pic was taken. Besides, that pic could have been taken with a flashlight in the stove.;)

The thermostat will control the burn, preventing overfire.

We don't know at what point in the burn the pic was taken. Besides, that pic could have been taken with a flashlight in the stove.;)

I am going by his description much more than the pic. And yes the thermostat should control it. But thinks break or get stuck from time to time.

I am going by his description much more than the pic. And yes the thermostat should control it. But thinks break or get stuck from time to time.

I can't argue with that, things break but BKVP stated to run the stoves wide open for an hour or so once a week during the shoulder season. I decided if he had the confidence in these stoves it took to make that statement here, I'd have the confidence to try it.

Been doing it now since Fall of 2014, no problems!

Bholler, let's get you a Blaze King...you like the BK threads and if seeing is believing....

My King is 16 years old and my house is old too...not Ashful old, but 115 years old. I have to run my King on max quite often, sometimes even a full load.

There are a few folks every year that operate their stove improperly and wreck bypass retainers, however since 1992, we've almost zero loss in terms of warped units. Some earlier designs were less robust.

The new SC25's even are upgraded to a bolt-in bypass retainer design so in the event of abuse, replacement will be easier.

Merry Christmas to everyone....I've got to go shopping now!

Bholler, let's get you a Blaze King...you like the BK threads and if seeing is believing....
To be clear I have absolutely no issues at all with bk stoves. They are great stoves without question. The only issue I have is with the guys who act like bks are perfect for everyone in every situation and that nothing could ever possibly go wrong with them. That and I really cant stand the look of the classic stoves but oh well. And yeah if you are going to give me a bk I would gladly try it out. But I am not buying one any time soon lol.

Yes sir I always put a flashlight in a roaring woodstove just seems to get really get my point across.

Reactions: tarzan
Status
Not open for further replies.