Anyone ever ELEVATE their stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seasoned Oak

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 17, 2008
Eastern Central PA
I just installed a new Englander 30-NCH in a house im restoring. Love the stove so far ,the light show is fabulous. Nice big firebox ,you can get a decent amount of wood in there and the stove heats up really fast to 550 600Deg. My problem is this stove is LOW LOW LOW to the floor. If you want to get a good view of the afterburn action you almost have to lay on the floor.(Which is fine after a few hits of yukon jack) After using a Harman TL-300 for a few years which sets up quite high compared to the englander.Im planning to elevate the stove anywhere from 8 to 16 inches off the floor. Would make it easier to load and avoid hitting the reburn tubes and the refractory material and clean out,and so much easier to view the dazzling light show this stove is famous for.
Anyone ever do this?

Our Heritage is about 11" off the floor which makes tending it much easier, especially dealing with the ash cleanout.

I did it to an old Newmac stove we have at the farm in the shop. I just welded together a metal stand. :)
Since your stove is in the house, make sure you note the top of stove to ceiling clearance before building your stand.

Jimbob said:
I did it to an old Newmac stove we have at the farm in the shop. I just welded together a metal stand. :)
Since your stove is in the house, make sure you note the top of stove to ceiling clearance before building your stand.

Not quite following you bob, the manual list a flue pipe to ceiling clearance but iv never seen a stove top to ceiling # . Even if i go with 16" rise i should have between 6&7 Ft from stovetop to ceiling.

I think raising the stove is a great idea!
I want to be able to load my stove standing up.
There was a thread a while back asking "why raise a hearth for a wood stove?" where I mentioned how I plan to modify the heart in my house to raise my stove to make it easier to load standing up. Rather than repeat all that I'll just link to that thread.
There is clearance issues if you raise your stove too much or you have a low ceiling.

Carbon_Liberator said:
There was a thread a while back asking "why raise a hearth for a wood stove?" where I mentioned how I plan to modify the heart in my house to raise my stove to make it easier to load standing up. Rather than repeat all that I'll just link to that thread.
There is clearance issues if you raise your stove too much or you have a low ceiling.

Thanks CL i missed that one,it seems its not such a rare or unusual idea after all.

trump said:
Carbon_Liberator said:

Thanks CL i missed that one,it seems its not such a rare or unusual idea after all.

Well, I don't know about that, it seems most people (including me) are still getting down on their knees to load their stoves.
I like my stove but I don't worship it, so I can't understand why I have to get down on my knees in front of it all the time.
I think it's time to start a new trend and raise our stove to a more civilized human level.

edit; that other thread was more about raising the hearth slightly as opposed to just keeping it flush with the floor, rather than raising the stove up high like we are talking about here.

Im probably going to Go up 16" one day this week . Not sure how im going to get the stove on the platform,possibly a tripod,like for pulling a motor.

My wife and I both wanted to raise our new stove but argued a bit on how high to raise it. We settled on 16". I was a bit fearful of colder floors. After all, heat rises. However, the 16" has worked out perfectly as I can sit in a chair while loading the stove rather than kneeling (that would not have worked for either of us). As it turns out, my fears of colder floors was not to be. The floors are nice and warm. All in all, I highly recommend raising these smaller stoves as it makes working with them and even the viewing much, much better.

Just quadruple check ALL the stove clearances prior to doing any work!

I got lucky, we raised our hearth (pics in sig link) and it was not until after the stove was installed that i noticed the stovetop to ceiling clearance requirement. Just made it by ~ 2" but I almost crapped a brick while getting the tape measure to check the measurement after reading the requirement. And I was laying out the hearth and stove for at least a month before purchase and construction, but just blatantly overlooked the ceiling clearance spec.

I am not sure that all stoves have this stovetop to ceiling clearance spec - but PE Alderlea line does....

trump said:
Not quite following you bob, the manual list a flue pipe to ceiling clearance but iv never seen a stove top to ceiling # . Even if i go with 16" rise i should have between 6&7 Ft from stovetop to ceiling.

Well, for instance, My Summit has a stove-top to ceiling clearance spec of 54". The stove is 31-1/2" high. The ceiling of the average house is ~ 96" high.
So if you add the specified clearance of 54" to the height of 31-1/2" , you get 85-1/2". Subtract that from 96 and you get 10-1/2".
This means you can put the Summit wood stove on a pedestal 10-1/2" high if it is installed in a room with an 8 foot ceiling.

All wood stoves I've come across have a clearance listed in their owner's manual.

The "Ultimate" wood stove by J.A. Roby, lists a floor to ceiling clearance of 84", for example, while Pacific Energy Lists their clearance as 54" from top of stove to ceiling. It's in there somewhere, it just might be expressed differently.

My 30 sits on a eight inch high brick hearth. Puts that big glass view of the fire right at eye level sitting on the couch. Ceiling is eight feet. Don't know what is acceptable but a stove has been in front of that fireplace for 26 years and my bedroom is right over it. In fact the headboard it right over it.

PS: And that sheet rock ceiling ain't looking like it is hurting lately.

Speaking of ceiling clearances, with my new chimney professionally installed I was wondering if there is an standard clearance for single wall stovepipe from the ceiling. The insulated portion of my double wall chimney ends only about 6"-8" below the drywall ceiling in the room of the stove, which is where my connector pipe will take over. I imagine that stove pipe will get very hot. I have been so caught on clearances listed in my stove manual that I didn't even think about this. My dad pointed it out to me.

My chimney guy told me 18" is standard clearance for stovepipe to combustible surfaces. If this true about where it joins my chimney fitting 6"-8" from the ceiling, does that mean I need to put in non-comstuble shield on my ceiling?

i think its 18" if its single wall but i think its as close as 6" if its double wall to the stove.

While I have no experience using a wood stove yet, I was thinking a single wall connector pipe would provide more heat to my house than sending it all up a double walled pipe without any radiant benefits. My clearance is less than 18" from the rear and side wall, so a heat shield part on the connector pipe is planned to solve that. Do people commonly use double wall connectors?

Sorry to hijack the thread. Hopefully it goes back to the original topic after a reply or two to my question.

The Dude said:
Speaking of ceiling clearances, with my new chimney professionally installed I was wondering if there is an standard clearance for single wall stovepipe from the ceiling. The insulated portion of my double wall chimney ends only about 6"-8" below the drywall ceiling in the room of the stove, which is where my connector pipe will take over. I imagine that stove pipe will get very hot. I have been so caught on clearances listed in my stove manual that I didn't even think about this. My dad pointed it out to me.

My chimney guy told me 18" is standard clearance for stovepipe to combustible surfaces. If this true about where it joins my chimney fitting 6"-8" from the ceiling, does that mean I need to put in non-comstuble shield on my ceiling?
You might want to get a ladder and see just how hot that ceiling gets when your pipe is good and hot,if you cant hold your hand on the ceiling you may have a problem.

The Dude said:

Yes.

I raised up my Morso (the stove in my avatar, haven't taken a new pic since) a foot this year to make loading easier. It is very nice but the downside is the decrease in my vertical run has caused me to get a little smoke out on reloading and a little dirtier glass.

Does anyone levitate their stove? That I would like to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.