A fifteen hour Blaze King burn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I noticed that too. See, he’s not burning a load of anything. He’s shortloading every 8 hours and running too cold for the space’s demand.
Yeah, something is not right here. Including, a not so good wood talking about MC, an 8hrs burn with oak it should be a medium to high burn rate. The glass should be way more clean than that.

Can i brag that 10 hour burn times are fairly easy to achieve in my T5 which is only rated for 8 hrs!?

Bk's are cool but the hype has turned me off a bit....Happens to me with pretty much everything. Not BK's fault though.

Yeah, something is not right here. Including, a not so good wood talking about MC, an 8hrs burn with oak it should be a medium to high burn rate. The glass should be cleaner than that.
That is with the dial closed about 1/4 of the way. Draft within spec oak hooked up wood 18 to 20

I noticed that too. See, he’s not burning a load of anything. He’s shortloading every 8 hours and running too cold for the space’s demand.
Going 10 hours at that setting I would barely have enough coals to restart and the house temp would be dropping

That is with the dial closed about 1/4 of the way. Draft within spec oak hooked up wood 18 to 20
With those settings and burning pine ( discard house temperature ) I get 20 hrs minimum out of a load. Not clear what is going on here.

Can i brag that 10 hour burn times are fairly easy to achieve in my T5 which is only rated for 8 hrs!?

Bk's are cool but the hype has turned me off a bit....Happens to me with pretty much everything. Not BK's fault though.

The T5 is a great stove. Probably a top contender for my home if I wanted to go back to noncat. The 10 hour burntime you get is at low output right? If I wanted to blow a load of fuel in my BK in 10 hours I could, but if I wanted to make less heat I also could stretch that out to 24 hours. The flexibility is the advantage of a cat stove. There are other brands of cat stove that have a pretty wide range of outputs too, not just the BK.

With those settings and burning pine ( discard house temperature ) I get 20 hrs minimum out of a load. Not clear what is going on here.
Well for one you have a king i am running a princess.

Going 10 hours at that setting I would barely have enough coals to restart and the house temp would be dropping

Yep. That's the point. If you read what I wrote I said that would happen. This is wood heat and they all have cycles. You need to overheat from your desired temp a few degrees so that you can lose a few degrees as the coals burn down. Don't be silly and let all the coals burn up, reload before it's too late.

Are you even going to try to operate this thing as those with experience are suggesting or are you just going to complain about the results doing it your way?

That dirty glass. Turn it up! You can run this thing at max stat setting.

No Sr I have two princess.
Ok i got you confused with someone else sorry. So with the thermostat closed 1/4 turn you get 20 hours? I can easily get 20 hours of active cat but it needs to be closed way more than that

You guys are exhausting. I appreciate the fact that you can burn low and slow during cool season and have a thermostat that works well.. But honestly, it's embarrassing at this point.

Reactions: Woody Stover

He probably could get 20 hours if he wasn't short loading. He just throws more in every 8 hours and calls that his "burn time"!

Reactions: lsucet
You guys are exhausting. I appreciate the fact that you can burn low and slow during cool season and have a thermostat that works well.. But honestly, it's embarrassing at this point.

We're enthusiasts! We're enthusiastic and that is exhausting to someone that isn't. Did someone force you to read this?

Reactions: MissMac
Yep. That's the point. If you read what I wrote I said that would happen. This is wood heat and they all have cycles. You need to overheat from your desired temp a few degrees so that you can lose a few degrees as the coals burn down. Don't be silly and let all the coals burn up, reload before it's too late.

Are you even going to try to operate this thing as those with experience are suggesting or are you just going to complain about the results doing it your way?

That dirty glass. Turn it up! You can run this thing at max stat setting.
So i should turn it up and get less burn time than i did with the regency? To heat my house when outside temps are in the mid 30s???

He probably could get 20 hours if he wasn't short loading. He just throws more in every 8 hours and calls that his "burn time"!
So you think i should just let it go for 20 hours? Running the stove at the thermostat setting that maintains temps in my house in these temps the stove will be stone cold in 11 hours. Barely any coals at 10.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
So i should turn it up and get less burn time than i did with the regency? To heat my house when outside temps are in the mid 30s???

Turn it up a bit and then let it burn all the way down before loading. Your goal is to reload on just a small pile of coals while not letting the house get too cold. You've been doing it wrong.

Again, you have no idea how long a load can burn since you've been shortloading. You know, and we agreed, from previous discussions that you will not get less burn time than your regency since your home needs X lbs of wood to stay warm.

Ok i got you confused with someone else sorry. So with the thermostat closed 1/4 turn you get 20 hours? I can easily get 20 hours of active cat but it needs to be closed way more than that
Yes sir. No probs here hitting those hrs mark at that setting ( about 2 o'clock in the dial ) with a full load of pine. Load it tight, burn hot over heat a little the stove area but the whole house benifib of it. Dial it down to around 2 o'clock. Don't look back I come back from work and still have good amount of coals. If house is okay temperature wise just rake the coals to the front and go back to low again. I can hit the 24 hrs mark with no issue, depending of course the outside temps and indoor temps. 8 hrs on that setting I feel something is not right.

Yes sir. No probs here hitting those hrs mark at that setting ( about 2 o'clock in the dial ) with a full load of pine. Load it tight, burn hot over heat a little the stove area but the whole house benifib of it. Dial it down to around 2 o'clock. Don't look back I come back from work and still have good amount of coals. If hiuho is okay temperature wise just rake the coals to the front and go back to low again. I can hit the 24 hrs mark with no issue, depending of course the outside temps and indoor temps. 8 hrs on that setting I feel something is not right.
Well the knob on mine is open all the way at 12:00. I typically run around 9:00 below that in these temps which have been about what we averaged this winter the hiuse will loose temp if i turn it down lower.

So you think i should just let it go for 20 hours? Running the stove at the thermostat setting that maintains temps in my house in these temps the stove will be stone cold in 11 hours. Barely any coals at 10.

I did not say anything about 20 hours. I think your house needs more heat than that. You need to use a higher thermosat setting so that you can burn up most of the fuel before reloading and not lose too much house temperature as the fuel dwindles.

You need to try some things instead of arguing. You've got the stove but you need to operate it differently. If you aren't willing to even try then maybe you should go back to your noncat and be happy.

Turn it up a bit and then let it burn all the way down before loading. Your goal is to reload on just a small pile of coals while not letting the house get too cold. You've been doing it wrong.

Again, you have no idea how long a load can burn since you've been shortloading. You know, and we agreed, from previous discussions that you will not get less burn time than your regency since your home needs X lbs of wood to stay warm.
Ok i will go turn it up and report back in an hour

Point made. An expert professional with decades of experience is doing it wrong?

Well the knob on mine is open all the way at 12:00. I typically run around 9:00 below that in these temps which have been about what we averaged this winter the hiuse will loose temp if i turn it down lower.
The knob should be wide open pointing at 6 o'clock pointing to the floor. If not you need to calibrate it.

Point made. An expert professional with decades of experience is doing it wrong?

He's never burned a BK until this year. I don't even think he's owned any cat stove until now. But yes there are people in this world who have been doing things wrong for decades. We see it all the time.