4 yr. seasoned White Oak..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My dad always told me, never show em what you have
Yeah, but everyone else's dad has said If you did not take a photo to prove it, it never happened.

Reactions: Dug8498
Tar. Just as a heads up. You dont need to wait 4 years to burn any type of oak. I burn oak as my primary wood, some cherry but mostly oak. Im also burning white oak as i like it. The seasoning time for oak is 6 months for any oak. I put together a cheapo kiln and had all my large oak splits to sub 10%MC in one summer. The oak was cut in may, started the kiln in july, stopped in october and 10%mc
I have followed the kiln threads and will try it in the very near future as I like to have big splits for those bitter cold nights and a kiln would ensure this...my 4 year seasoned Oak is part of my plan to be that far ahead....kiln or no kiln...i am getting some miles on me and worry that if something were to happen to me and it put me out of commission for awhile there would be no worries for my wife...Next year propane will be installed here for back up and primary if need be...

It depends how much of the leakey house has been improved. Every bit helps. Insulation is one of the biggest issues. With the window change did you pull the complete window out to the original rough opening? If so you can insulate around the window, You will see the difference in the rooms farther away from the stove. They will be warmer than the were.
We are just ready to embark on the new windows....the old windows are single pane and were not installed properly to begin with...(I pulled one) The new windows are double pane low-E argon filled windows...not the best but a huge improvement over the originals...the old windows will be completely removed to the original rough opening and insulated and flashed properly...prior to this the entire house will receive a blanket of Owens Corning Foamular rigid Insulation board and taped properly with the incredibly expensive tape..and I will use Owens high dollar window flashing tape as well...and of course Typar house wrap and new siding...I am anticipating a large improvement.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
We are just ready to embark on the new windows....the old windows are single pane and were not installed properly to begin with...(I pulled one) The new windows are double pane low-E argon filled windows...not the best but a huge improvement over the originals...the old windows will be completely removed to the original rough opening and insulated and flashed properly...prior to this the entire house will receive a blanket of Owens Corning Foamular rigid Insulation board and taped properly with the incredibly expensive tape..and I will use Owens high dollar window flashing tape as well...and of course Typar house wrap and new siding...I am anticipating a large improvement.
The stuff is expensive! Definitely need better competition in the space, because they charge like they have a monopoly.

Nice work on deciding to upgrade/ insulate the house, it'll be a nicer place to live.

What are you gonna use as siding over the rigid board?

I have followed the kiln threads and will try it in the very near future as I like to have big splits for those bitter cold nights and a kiln would ensure this...my 4 year seasoned Oak is part of my plan to be that far ahead....kiln or no kiln...i am getting some miles on me and worry that if something were to happen to me and it put me out of commission for awhile there would be no worries for my wife...Next year propane will be installed here for back up and primary if need be...

Thanks for the reply and keeping it positive..
I do small runs here and there. One thing that i do do is the large splits and different woods to see how it works out.. good luck with the house

The stuff is expensive! Definitely need better competition in the space, because they charge like they have a monopoly.

Nice work on deciding to upgrade/ insulate the house, it'll be a nicer place to live.

What are you gonna use as siding over the rigid board?
Vinyl Dutch Lap siding

Reactions: VirginiaIron

This routine made a very significant improvement at my place. Betting it will for you also. Have fun!

Reactions: Tar12
Vinyl Dutch Lap siding

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.