single-wall stove pipe collecting debris

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What are you using to measure cat temperature?

I use a cat gauge from condar with actual numbers.

Cat temperature along with presence of flame is not how you verify that your cat is still “good”. You go out and look at the stack when running low. Even a nearly dead cat can work a tiny bit. Enough to warm up.

It’s a wear item. Don’t fight it.

Ordered a new metal combustor from Midwest Hearth.

Yeah, 1000 hrs/year is way too low. But I keep coming back to the fact that the cat can easily be running at 1000 degrees with no visible fire in the firebox. How can it not be working ? But yes, I can believe the exhaust is pretty cold.

I'm a little intimidated about double-wall. How do I handle the dogleg in my pipe (the chimney is offset about 12" from the flue collar) ? Is there such a thing as adjustable elbows, or am I stuck with 45s (using 30s now, so gentler bends) ? How do you shorten a piece of it ?
45_flue_offest_web.jpg
There are offset charts provided by the stove pipe manufacturer that will help calculate the offset in the double-wall.

There are offset charts provided by the stove pipe manufacturer that will help calculate the offset in the double-wall.
Whose pipes do you use ?

I think I'll try the new combustor first though.

DuraVent DVL is what is pictured.

Would it make any sense to just replace the 2ft piece that comes up from the stove's flue collar with a piece of double-wall ? Leave the offset and the part above that as single-wall and see how it works ? It'd be simpler (wouldn't have to work out the offset) ... and cheaper. Assuming the single- and double-wall will play together nicely.