3rd annual its getting close thread.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ozarkoak

Burning Hunk
Nov 1, 2020
Arkansas
I don't hang out here much in the summer but do spend my winters here I guess you can call me a snow bird. But ladies and gents its getting time to make sure everything is tip top. Stacks swept, seals good to go and stoves clean. Looking forward to spending another winter season here with you guys.

I don't hang out here much in the summer but do spend my winters here I guess you can call me a snow bird. But ladies and gents its getting time to make sure everything is tip top. Stacks swept, seals good to go and stoves clean. Looking forward to spending another winter season here with you guys.
Our burning season can start on September 15, last year I'm pretty sure we started burning later, September 25. When do you usually start heating with firewood?

I’m ready. Well, almost. Painted my connector pipe today but have not reinstalled it. Other than that everything has been clean and swept.

Reactions: ispinwool
I picked up a used jotul f100 on FB marketplace over the summer that I'm going to try swapping in for the VC intrepid. The intrepid is fine it was just a little too melodramatic for me to deal with on weeknights. Still need to get around to touching up a couple rust spots on the f100 and hook it up for a test fire.

Yup! same here. I enjoy summer but there's just something lovely about a wood fire.
I generally have my wood box full and my break-in fires completed mid-Sept.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Me I’m weed whacking around the pile I’ll use this winter and maybe next! Getting ready to scrounge too for three years from now !!

3rd annual its getting close thread.3rd annual its getting close thread.3rd annual its getting close thread.

Reactions: stoveliker
Yup! same here. I enjoy summer but there's just something lovely about a wood fire.
I generally have my wood box full and my break-in fires completed mid-Sept.
Thats a cool looking spinner you have, do you hand spin? We have a small flock of Cheviots.

Thats a cool looking spinner you have, do you hand spin? We have a small flock of Cheviots.
Yup. I do spin. I give you credit for having your flock...after 'thoughtful consideration' of having a few sheep of my own, I decided that buying a few fleeces from a shepherd is much more economical! LOL

Yup. I do spin. I give you credit for having your flock...after 'thoughtful consideration' of having a few sheep of my own, I decided that buying a few fleeces from a shepherd is much more economical! LOL
We kind of got into it backwards started with some Border Collies got into sheepdog trials and wanted to be able to train on our property.

We kind of got into it backwards started with some Border Collies got into sheepdog trials and wanted to be able to train on our property.
View attachment 329238
I love to watch those puppers work!! absolutely amazing! (and that's a perfectly acceptable excuse to buy sheep! LOL!)

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd
The focus those dogs have is incredible.
The one laying down looks like a regular tri color collie?
We had 3 collies growing up. Great dogs.

The focus those dogs have is incredible.
The one laying down looks like a regular tri color collie?
We had 3 collies growing up. Great dogs.
I was a 4h kid showing a our sable collie for many years. At the fair, those wool spinners told us that they could spin long dog hair like from my collie into yarn.

Me I’m weed whacking around the pile I’ll use this winter and maybe next! Getting ready to scrounge too for three years from now !!
Do the stacks stay on the ground while seasoning? The bottom wood would be useless here after a year of ground contact.

Do the stacks stay on the ground while seasoning? The bottom wood would be useless here after a year of ground contact.
Looks pretty sandy, but yes got to get those up off the ground.

Also limits wind direction for airflow around the splits. I’d imagine it may season slower?
My thoughts as well, but the wall could make a nice structure to build a solar kiln against if it's facing south.

My thoughts as well, but the wall could make a nice structure to build a solar kiln against if it's facing south.
Yes to all. Backstop made stacking easy. The southerly facing is good. This is already seasoned wood that burns great and it was necessary spot I don’t have space and do have HOA that made me move it. Nice to have a farmer friend with 100 acres! This is my pile in the back yard I could keep where it was

Do you have a moisture meter?
ReSplit 2 from the bottom row and 2 from a middle or top row, and measure them on the freshly exposed surface.
It'll tell you that you need to stack them off the ground because then the bottom row(s) will measure similar to the middle and top rows...

Reactions: ozarkoak