What am I doing wrong? (thick logs don't keep the fire)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
I guess I'm confused at what model this is. The Lopi Large Flush Hybrid had a cat years ago, at least a decade ago IIRC. Is this the Declaration insert?
As far as I know, they had the Hybrid with a cat some time ago, then at some point they removed it, bringing the newer non-cat version, which I have. In this post I showed the differences between them according to their manuals. Year of manufacture of my stove is 2022. Now they don't manufacture those anymore, having a new Hybrid. A fireplace shop had few of them on a discount, so I took it. I didn't get the EPA credit, but I think my model should fit me better.

Yeah, good suggestion, thanks! I got that same idea yesterday when looked through my wood-related photos, where I used klin-dried wood for an outside fire for kebabs... Would be interesting to try it out in the stove with similar outside temp conditions! I will post here when I try, thanks!

Good to know, thank you! I like clean glass, but a thought that I'd have to clean it every day was a bit disappointing... Will try to leave it next time.

I think it would be more preferable method for me too, because I'm worried about the tubes at the top. Cold top-down start made them a tiny bit glowing and I think it's not very good for them.

Thank you! It helps a lot to input and support from you guys!

Makes sense, thanks. Since you mentioned that, do you have your secondary tubes always working, especially during overnight burns? I have a feeling that they work similar to a cat, in a way that secondary burn happens only above certain temperature of the stove...
On a hot reload, such as loading for an overnight burn, the secondaries will be strong at first, then gradually reduce until the coaling stage. The secondaries might last a couple hours or so, give or take. I wouldn’t worry about your burn tubes getting too hot, they are designed to withstand an extremely hot firebox. I have a short clip of nice secondaries from last winter, I will see if I can post.

I only recall cat versions of the NexGen Large Hybrid but maybe I missed one? Check the manual.

I only recall cat versions of the NexGen Large Hybrid but maybe I missed one? Check the manual.

Thanks for being patient. I recalled there being this model out for a year or so but wasn't sure which size insert. Then it disappeared with the 2020 EPA requirements. Lopi doesn't have the manual up, not even under discontinued models, so I couldn't verify.

Reactions: yuryk
As far as I know, they had the Hybrid with a cat some time ago, then at some point they removed it, bringing the newer non-cat version, which I have. In this post I showed the differences between them according to their manuals. Year of manufacture of my stove is 2022. Now they don't manufacture those anymore, having a new Hybrid. A fireplace shop had few of them on a discount, so I took it. I didn't get the EPA credit, but I think my model should fit me better.
You mean IRS tax credit, correct? EPA does not have any "credits".

BKVP