2024 Garden Thread!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I am blanching and freezing kale today. Going to pull the whole row and use the space for a second planting or carrots. Trimming tomato plants as well.

Tomato season is over here. Last haul. We might have a few cherry ones left.
My sister's tomatoes in NC are just kicking in, but she planted in April.

Reactions: EbS-P
My sister's tomatoes in NC are just kicking in, but she planted in April.
I need to stagger plantings. But it’s hot enough I’m. It getting much fruit setting now. I did switch to drip irrigation the end may but I’m not sure if that effected plants. All the dwarfs are still alive and that can’t be said for others.

A two tomato pies were made this week. And a yellow sauce shakshouka were the most recent hits. Big fan of sauces that use the less acidic tomatoes. They were not sugary sweet so the tomato flavors were different.

We had a yellow pear cherry type that was a good yielding tomato.

Do any of you air dry herbs in your kitchen? I have never done it, but I have a good crop of sage and thyme this summer that I'd like to try and preserve for the off season. It sounds pretty straight forward: tied in bunch, hang from the cieling beams, make sure they have good air circulation. Any other tips? Many thank.

Big fan of sauces that use the less acidic tomatoes. They were not sugary sweet so the tomato flavors were different.
Likewise. It's why we grow Blue Beech tomatoes. We blend our sauces with the Blue Beech, Pomidoro Squisito as the base and then whatever we have a lot of extras of. Our sauce is roasted first, then blended down instead of the long simmer on the stove.

I know that fruits are grafted, but found these sprouted out when I bit into my apple the other day. It seemed too interesting to toss out. I’ll stick them out back somewhere and see. Put one in a tray and one in a small pot for now.

2024 Garden Thread!2024 Garden Thread!2024 Garden Thread!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that!

That apple looks awesome! At the very least you’ll get some extra pollinators for your trees!

Sounds perfect for pies, I prefer the more tart apples!
These weren't tart, they were bitter which is something that can't be corrected with more sugar or seasoning.

No telling what you’ll get from variety to variety.
If I understand correctly, the seed is a crapshoot. With a grafted tree, the rootstock determines the tree height and structure, and the graft determines the variety of fruit.

Many small dwarf trees are crab apples or some small appleish tree. If you graft a red delicious to the shoot you will have a dwarf red delicious tree. Cut it down and if a new shoot comes up from the roots it will be whatever the rootstock was.

I have a tree out back that was a red delicious before some goats got to it and ate all the bark off it and killed it. It came back as a really knotted up hardly edible apple tree.

I have a rootstock, M9 if I remember right, growing in my back yard. The graft died. I left it growing just incase I want to graft other trees on, lol.

Apple trees are propogated from cuttings. They are often cloned from the original hybrid.
"The problem with growing apples from seed is that you have no idea what type of tree will grow in your garden. As is the case with cultivars and grafted trees, the genes of one of the parents or grandparents will end up prevailing and shaping the tree and its fruits."