2020-21 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get this every few weeks in the colder part of the winter. Usually when the thermostat decides that the stove should be warmer and the fuel load moves from sleepy coals to an active flame. Some people might call it an explosion or a burst of flames or a puff but I do get it and it certainly it must make a puff out the chimney but no smoke in the house. Looks really cool. Totally silent. Even the wife notices the cool looking burst of fire.

Huh, I guess I see a similar thing sometimes, but not accompanied by a noise or a jolt or smoke leakage or anything. I think maybe I phrased the original question badly, as this is not the effect that was causing the other guy to report explosions and smoke leaks. (Also, I think I stopped caring and won't re-ask it. :) )

Mine usually start as a little tongue of flame and whoosh around in a swirly pattern. Big ones stabilize as a bar of flames across the top near the cat sometimes, and sometimes it just swirls around like a caged dragon in there. It's not a firebox-filling flame as the cat was already reburning wood gas without visible flames, but it's pretty when it happens.

I've had bangs that made the pipe rattle and the door pop the rest of the way open with old pre-EPA stoves, but probably everyone who ever tried to run a sufficiently airtight stove as low as possible knows all about that already.

Last edited:
More of a secondary burn type thing happening. Could be igniting from the front of the cat as the heat there would be very high. See it occasionally as well. Mostly when I first turn it down

So.. the press logs have an initial very hot period. 3 home fire logs with the temp control about 1/4 below the swoosh and it had the cat gauge about 3/4 and my badly placed temp gauge between 5-600. But after about an hour, they lost a lot of fizz. The cat gauge was about 3/4 “ above stall and temp gauge was about 390. So I adjusted the controller to the bottom of the swoosh and had to go Christmas shopping and get a new ax handle (thx to my son) and when I got back it was pretty lackluster. They were still going but still about the same as far as gauges went. I turned the temp up on high for about 10 minutes and not much happened. So I threw 3 more on and about to close the bypass. Probably not the best replacement for regular wood in my novice opinion considering the full load of small split fir is easy 15 hours with stove temp between 5-600

I became a first time homeowner in February 2015 to a 1918 Cape Cod—no insulation and 2000 feet to heat. It has a 23 foot interior brick chimney equipped with a heat exchanger that absolutely devoures wood at a rate of not less than 25 pounds per hour! At age 35, I am in above average shape—not because I go to the gym, but because I own this horrid example of a wood stove.

After 2 years of due diligence and following folks like BKVP, Highbeam, begreen and a few others—I set my sights on the BK Princess insert. The absolute best insert ever built.

I had a dealer come out and give me an estimate. $5500 was the number they gave me. Plan B. Sure, I coulda saved up a hefty tax return and my wife would have supported me. But, at $5500- it takes a lot of going to the woods to get “free” wood to make the investment pay for itself. So I have been patiently waiting for about 3 years now...

Then my boss comes up last week and shows me a FB Marketplace post with a used BK Princess Insert listed at $1000. Last Friday I went an hour and a half south to Grangeville and took a look at it.

From the outside, I could tell it was very well used. The seller advised he is the second owner. The cert tag says it’s a 2006 model. My calculations say at 3-4 cord per year x 16 seasons we’re looking at roughly 48-64 cords ran thru it. After looking inside, the bricks were good, but I could immediately see damage to the bypass gasket assembly. I assumed the cat was original.

My wife gently offered the gentleman 20% less than his asking price and we had a deal. I knew I had to document this stove on Hearth because I respect “most” of your opinions here. That being said,@BKVP has offered his superior knowledge and guidance for this repair and I trust him completely.

Here in Lewiston ID we are a hub for aluminum jet boats and it just so happens I am good friends with a certified welder who worked for a jet boat company for 10 years. I will NOT be the one welding the repair on this beautiful wood burner!

These stoves are constructed with superior materials—I’ve had my head literally inside this stove all morning today. Very impressed. Even though the Bypass retainers are relatively thin—they weld into very thick robust steel that the bypass plate (which I might add is also very thick) comes down onto. The gasket channel has to be exactly level and aligned with the bypass plate to seal off all gases while the cat is running. The cat will be replaced with a steel and I will have the liner completely insulated.

If you’re still reading this ramble and Now that you all know my life story I will be documenting the job on this thread for all of your entertainment. Happy Hol, no——-Merry Christmas!!!!! Hope you all are well and safe.

Jesse

Great post, Jesse. Welcome and good luck with your stove!

Reactions: YAGER85 and Nealm66
Take the top off.
Pull bypass lever off.
Lift side panel off.
Two nuts to loosen and adjust. Make a mark to give a reference before moving it.
Thanks so much ILL get after it tommorrow

The cat gauge was about 3/4 “ above stall and temp gauge was about 390. So I adjusted the controller to the bottom of the swoosh and had to go Christmas shopping and get a new ax handle (thx to my son) and when I got back it was pretty lackluster. They were still going but still about the same as far as gauges went.

That's the whole point of these stoves, being able to adjust it down as you did, and even though it may look like not much is happening you're still getting the heat out of it - as you stated, your gauges were still the same as before you left.
Unless you were requiring more heat, then naturally it would have to get run harder.

Last edited:
That's the whole point of these stoves, being able to adjust it down as you did, and even though it may look like not much is happening you're still getting the heat out of it - as you stated, your gauges were still the same as before you left.
On a day like today( in the low 50’s) it’s exactly what a person would want. I was actually just seeing how the press logs would do as a sole source. I’m likely going to be going that route until next year and was experimenting. Not done yet but so far I would spend my money on regular cordwood . Was just sharing as I learn in case someone else ends up in the same boat. Going to burn them things till I have to work Wednesday so who knows

Reactions: Alpine1
Hey BK - where did you procure that miniature pitch fork? That looks like a fantastic coal raking device.
I built it at work. I'm able to reach all the way to the back, sift coals (due to curved fingers) and the "T" handle provides max control. Should we make them? Mine is 100% stainless but wife made me paint it black.

Attachments

• 2020-21 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)
    20201221_191208.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 177
It seems very sensible . Maybe a rake as well. Not sure if I’d want to paint the stainless so then there would need to be a little shovel and a poker and a rack. Ok, black is fine

My neighbors asking me about my new stove, says his is showing wear. Not sure what brand his is but I know it’s big and old. 8” pipe straight up in a 2 story log home . I’m sure it’s double wall . No brainer.

I built it at work. I'm able to reach all the way to the back, sift coals (due to curved fingers) and the "T" handle provides max control. Should we make them? Mine is 100% stainless but wife made me paint it black.

I certainly think you should consider it. Not sure I've seen anything like it and I've been looking for a good rake.

Just curious if/when my neighbor wants a stove, is there still a 4-8 week wait to order one?
We are averaging 3-4 weeks for most models. A bit longer to get shipments to our warehouse in the east.

And is that normal? Or just covid
Covid has definitely affected our business and that of all wood stove manufacturers. Many suppliers were shut down and fell way behind.

Reactions: Indianawood
Covid has definitely affected our business and that of all wood stove manufacturers. Many suppliers were shut down and fell way behind.
Thanks, I had a feeling it was covid. Not sure if he is going to finish the season. Going over there today to cut some firewood. Might be some floor models floating around as well if he looked around

We are averaging 3-4 weeks for most models. A bit longer to get shipments to our warehouse in the east.

If anyone thinks that's weird, I can tell you that right now it's 8 weeks for a special order entry door from several manufacturers that normally turn them around in 2-3 weeks.

There's no telling what will have extended lead times anymore. A factory no end user ever heard of shuts down, and it turns out that an entire industry uses their widgets. An assembly line designed to have people shoulder to shoulder gets hastily retrofitted to keep them 6 feet apart. That one guy who always knew how to fix all the problems with the machines is working from home/out sick/dead of covid. All your product manufacturer knows is that the widget is on backorder with no ETA, and putting together their gizmos takes a lot longer now, and sales volume is way up versus last year. (And so they get a flood of phone calls from Karens announcing that they will DIE and/or SUE if they don't get their designer shoe holder or whatever before their Christmas party...)

If anyone thinks that's weird, I can tell you that right now it's 8 weeks for a special order entry door from several manufacturers that normally turn them around in 2-3 weeks.

There's no telling what will have extended lead times anymore. A factory no end user ever heard of shuts down, and it turns out that an entire industry uses their widgets. An assembly line designed to have people shoulder to shoulder gets hastily retrofitted to keep them 6 feet apart. That one guy who always knew how to fix all the problems with the machines is working from home/out sick/dead of covid. All your product manufacturer knows is that the widget is on backorder with no ETA, and putting together their gizmos takes a lot longer now, and sales volume is way up versus last year. (And so they get a flood of phone calls from Karens announcing that they will DIE and/or SUE if they don't get their designer shoe holder or whatever before their Christmas party...)
Lol, it’s been a crazy year. I really didn’t mind at all getting the demo model. I’m not so sure there would be any king models available though. He’s probably going to wait anyways knowing him but I’m admittedly excited to see how he reacts to its performance. I’m curious if his brother will end up buying one as well. Although they both have been burning wood all they’re lives and probably comfortable with a quicker reloading routine so who knows. I’m hoping to get some pictures of they’re mom and dads wood furnace. They said it’s a manufactured stove with a mechanical thermostat that can take wood up to 6’ in length bought in the 60’s

KE40 parlor version here.

If you have the KE40 Ultra, the pan works great. Not available on the KE40 Classic. The ashpan on the Parlor version isn't very deep.

I'm burning black locust so far and I fill the thing full every 2-3 weeks. I once let it sit for 3 days and it dropped 2" as the coals finally burned down.

Status
Not open for further replies.