2019-20 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The stove industry has really migrated through multiple paint suppliers in past 8 years. The leading company had serious QC problems and would not take ownership. That same company's paint was known to produce very heavy off-gassing during initial fires. Most stove manufacturers sourced new suppliers.

Speaking for our company, we went to a new provider, had order fulfillment issues (to be expected when multiple new stove mfg's line up for their product). Great product, hard to obtain.

We are now using a paint that has nearly zero off-gassing, much more uniform adhesion and color after firing. These guys have their act together and have begun to supply many other stove mfg's their paint.

Burn off outside was at one point in time...a must! Now, not so much.

We know who the old company was... who is the new one, and do they sell their product to consumers by the spray can? Is their black a good match to the old company's black?

I did a small (<1 sf) touchup followed by a light blending coat across the whole stovetop last year. It made the stove look new, but I did need to open windows. It was pretty strong.

We know who the old company was... who is the new one, and do they sell their product to consumers by the spray can? Is their black a good match to the old company's black?

I did a small (<1 sf) touchup followed by a light blending coat across the whole stovetop last year. It made the stove look new, but I did need to open windows. It was pretty strong.

So the paint supplier doesn't sell retail to the best of our knowledge. They do provide us rattle cans and we sell them to our dealers. The paint comes from Germany.

From what I saw, the newer black bk stoves are a lot more “metallic”. So not a great match but you could just spray the whole thing.

Are all of these paints compatible? Would be horrible to have to grind the whole stove bare. Worse to have the new paint pucker up and fall off!

After 3 seasons with ~12,000 hours I replaced the cat. The old one still worked but smoked too much for too long. Low burns needed a bit more thermostat opening so I figured it was time. Now I can roll over the damper in about 12 minutes and have a bright glowing cat again. Love the BK ultra low burns in the shoulder seasons. Worth every penny.

My stove paint did not smoke much.

Too bad these can't be recycled every other year (to help offset the cost) so one could always have a relatively new cat continuously. I do truly enjoy the very active cat putting out tons of heat.

We all know that new cats are extra sensitive or hyperactive for at least a few weeks. I think we all want that level of performance all the time.

If you were to repaint the entire surface, we would suggest a scotchbrite pad be used to slightly scuff up the finish. This will improve adhesion. As far as compatibility, we have not heard of any conflicts between current and past paint finishes, so long as the prior finish has been fired.

Reactions: Highbeam
I just use Stove Bright for touch ups. The metallic black matches well enough.

Any of you fellas ever run a bunch of tamarack through your BKs? I’ve heard that it can make non-cat stoves go nuclear. Wondering about experiences running it through a BK? I’ve got an opportunity to get a bunch of tamarack, but some of my friends have warned me not to burn it. THoughts?

Any of you fellas ever run a bunch of tamarack through your BKs? I’ve heard that it can make non-cat stoves go nuclear. Wondering about experiences running it through a BK? I’ve got an opportunity to get a bunch of tamarack, but some of my friends have warned me not to burn it. THoughts?
I don’t even know what it looks like! My initial (had a brain fart) thought was, you were talking about sumac. Sure thing this shrub would go nuclear in any stove

Found a bit of an article here.

No BK, but I can all bit guarantee that Tamarack is just fine. I don't know why it would go nuclear in a non cat, but it burns just fine in mine.

It’s a great fuel. Send any extra to me! It looks like a fir tree but is denser and weirdly deciduous. Larch is the other name.

I'd go for it!

Tamarack is actually pretty dense. Closer to a hardwood than a softwood. It's also quite rot resistant and a favorite for posts.

Reactions: Ashful
It’s a great fuel. Send any extra to me! It looks like a fir tree but is denser and weirdly deciduous. Larch is the other name.
I have seen larch when I lived out west. Same thing you say.....

Thanks fellas - i think i’m going to scoop some up for 21-22!

Miss Mac....here, Tamarack (western larch or eastern larch) is spectacular! I burned it for a decade plus. It sells here for $225 a cord. Slits beautifully. I'll trade 7 cords of black walnut, locust and maple for 3 cords of Tamarack...ignore the nonsense and grab it!

Reactions: MissMac
These firewood threads always humble me. We burn white oak in a campfire around here! I just get so used to hardwood being normal everyday wood.

Reactions: Ashful
Getting ready to start an extended burn soon, temps Friday wont get higher that the upper 40's around here with night time below 32df for a while. I've done 4 or 5 fires so far this year, just burning uglies and stuff, now its time to load up the garage wood rack and officially start the 19'-20' burn season.

I have lots of it on my property, up here we call it Hack some flat landers call it hack-ma-tack. I burns well and hot I don't burn it I use hardwood only but have burned a little in the past. I put it up equal to red maple /swamp maple.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I have lots of it on my property, up here we call it Hack some flat landers call it hack-ma-tack. I burns well and hot I don't burn it I use hardwood only but have burned a little in the past. I put it up equal to red maple /swamp maple.

The splinters can cause skin irritation as well. Tamarack burns just as well as traditional hardwoods, but they grow slowly and stay fairly small diameter. I plucked a tiny, 3" tall maybe, seedling out of my yard to make a bonsai. I'm curious to see if the leaves fall off or not!

Miss Mac....here, Tamarack (western larch or eastern larch) is spectacular! I burned it for a decade plus. It sells here for $225 a cord. Slits beautifully. I'll trade 7 cords of black walnut, locust and maple for 3 cords of Tamarack...ignore the nonsense and grab it!
Thanks! Everyone around here seems to ignore it as firewood, so there’s no competition for it. Larix laricina is the scientific name of the tamarack up here. I’m going to pick up a bunch of it I think. Will be a great score if it’s as good as you’re saying - up here the gold nuggets are the white birch!

1572525732149.png

Larch tree territory

The stove industry has really migrated through multiple paint suppliers in past 8 years. The leading company had serious QC problems and would not take ownership. That same company's paint was known to produce very heavy off-gassing during initial fires. Most stove manufacturers sourced new suppliers.

Speaking for our company, we went to a new provider, had order fulfillment issues (to be expected when multiple new stove mfg's line up for their product). Great product, hard to obtain.

We are now using a paint that has nearly zero off-gassing, much more uniform adhesion and color after firing. These guys have their act together and have begun to supply many other stove mfg's their paint.

Burn off outside was at one point in time...a must! Now, not so much.

I can vouch for that. We had no strong smell issues at all with our BK AF25 insert last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.