2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 2 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally respect your contribution here. I just like poking at you regarding VC and now BK.

Btw I am still on the fence, in terms of which one I like better....!!
Bk for sure between the 2 lol. I do like the bk I just don't see the magic.

Yup. The BK is a very good stove and it will make me a happy wood burner for a long time. As you said, there is no magic in the BK, just a loooooong......cooooool burn!

Yup. The BK is a very good stove and it will make me a happy wood burner for a long time. As you said, there is no magic in the BK, just a loooooong......cooooool burn!
Yes the cool part is the problem lol.

Of course there is no magic. I don't know why you were expecting a miracle. You mentioned countless times that BTUs are BTUs.
You get disappointed cause you got into a 65 degrees house running a stove from the basement as that never happened with your 3100. Your are the one expecting miracles with all respect.
I am running just one now that temperatures are 20s at night and 40s during the day. I run it on low, maybe a little more than my low setting. It is normal to me to find the house between 64 and 68 after work, ( stove room ) cat still active and some wood left. I don't see nothing wrong with that. I understand that the heat from the active cat is not giving the heat the house needs to keep the temperatures at 70 like I will like it, but also I am not here to tend the stove and still getting around 18 hrs on a load and for the most part a decent house temperatures. The temperatures that the cat still giving it is not enough to keep the house at 70 but is not bad neither in my opinion. If you need three loads a day when temperatures are in the 30s, the miracle needs to be done with whatever is going on with that house, no stove will work there to your expectations regardless what you say about your 3100.

It’s all about the wood. My Ashford 25 runs like a champ with dry wood. If it’s 20% and above it’s not happy and doesn’t produce much heat.... again going back to the wood.

No one around here sells “seasoned” wood by any means so I’ll limp through this year hoping my maple will be ready by next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But you have the choice of dial it up to your comfort temperatures. Regardless how much wood you use or short burn times.
The problem is that many want to get long burn and stay warm at the same time. That depends on many variables. You all know those variables. many here try to dial it as low as possible without stall the cat and asking to be warm too. Depend the situation you can't get both.

Of course there is no magic. I don't know why you were expecting a miracle. You mentioned countless times that BTUs are BTUs.
You get disappointed cause you got into a 65 degrees house running a stove from the basement as that never happened with your 3100. Your are the one expecting miracles with all respect.
I am running just one now that temperatures are 20s at night and 40s during the day. I run it on low, maybe a little more than my low setting. It is normal to me to find the house between 64 and 68 after work, ( stove room ) cat still active and some wood left. I don't see nothing wrong with that. I understand that the heat from the active cat is not giving the heat the house needs to keep the temperatures at 70 like I will like it, but also I am not here to tend the stove and still getting around 18 hrs on a load and for the most part a decent house temperatures. The temperatures that the cat still giving it is not enough to keep the house at 70 but is not bad neither in my opinion. If you need three loads a day when temperatures are in the 30s, the miracle needs to be done with whatever is going on with that house, no stove will work there to your expectations regardless what you say about your 3100.
In these temps no the house would not be at when I came home with the 3100. It would be 67 or 68 and be back up to 70 in under an hour the princess takes at least 2 hours to bring the temp back up unless I run it wide open which burns through the wood really fast and dumps tons of heat out the stack.

I wasn't really expecting magic. But I did expect longer burn times than I am getting and at least some wood savings. I expected that because that is what you guys said to expect. Now you tell me I was right that BTUs are BTUs and I am expecting to much to come home to a warm house.

But you have the choice of dial it up to your comfort temperatures. Regardless how much wood you use or short burn times.
The problem is that many want to get long burn and stay warm at the same time. That depends on many variables. You all know those variables. many here try to dial it as low as possible without stall the cat and asking to be warm too. Depend the situation you can't get both.

Totally agree!

But then, some BK members should not rave about 24hrs burns in mid Jan. On the east coast.

Reactions: charger4406
In these temps no the house would not be at when I came home with the 3100. It would be 67 or 68 and be back up to 70 in under an hour the princess takes at least 2 hours to bring the temp back up unless I run it wide open which burns through the wood really fast and dumps tons of heat out the stack.

I wasn't really expecting magic. But I did expect longer burn times than I am getting and at least some wood savings. I expected that because that is what you guys said to expect. Now you tell me I was right that BTUs are BTUs and I am expecting to much to come home to a warm house.
When is true that BTUs are BTUs, nobody is arguing that. The cat still giving heat. At the end on your 3100 is just heat from the coals.
With this one the cat add some heat cause it still reacting in my experience. If is not enough for your needs, okay, I understand. If the 3100 does that miracle for you, great. For many, switching to BK, is a good thing. Not only on this site. I have family members that agree to that. Of course for some will not be like that. You are one of those that it doesn't work and it is okay. We see that every day and it is not just on wood stove. Cars, phones, appliances in general. It is okay. Just saying.

Well my new car finally arrived for the princess, I figure what the hell and popped it in, installed an additional damper (this time above my test hole) stove is purring away, new steel cat
New steel cat glowing at 1 o’clock, T stat air setting at 2 o’clock, no flames in fire box.
Going to be an awkward send off come this weekend

I’m not a huge fan of the cat thing but feel it’s worth it overall. If my cat was to ever suddenly die I have my original cat and gasket sitting on the shelf to get me through.

I’ve always wanted to try a Summit, that’s probably the only non cat I’d be interested in trying at this point.

I’m not a huge fan of the cat thing but feel it’s worth it overall. If my cat was to ever suddenly die I have my original cat and gasket sitting on the shelf to get me through.

I’ve always wanted to try a Summit, that’s probably the only non cat I’d be interested in trying at this point.

Those PE stoves do a few things differently than the rest and better. Mine would be a t5, that is, if I couldn’t replace the bk.

Reactions: rdust
When is true that BTUs are BTUs, nobody is arguing that. The cat still giving heat. At the end on your 3100 is just heat from the coals.
With this one the cat add some heat cause it still reacting in my experience. If is not enough for your needs, okay, I understand. If the 3100 does that miracle for you, great. For many, switching to BK, is a good thing. Not only on this site. I have family members that agree to that. Of course for some will not be like that. You are one of those that it doesn't work and it is okay. We see that every day and it is not just on wood stove. Cars, phones, appliances in general. It is okay. Just saying.
I didn't say the princess doesn't work it does. I don't dislike how it works at all. In some ways I like it more than the tube stoves I have run. I just am not seeing benefits that would make me willing to pay more for the stove or pay for replacement cats. In a few years when I get the house sealed up better that may be very different. But my house really is very average for a 70s ranch.

I do like the bk I just don't see the magic.

The Control is the “magic” for me. Getting a raging inferno down to a black box with the twist of a knob still amazes me. I had to baby sit my Lopi every load, my Bk is repeatable load after load no matter what kind of wood I load or how I load it.

Totally agree!

But then, some BK members should not rave about 24hrs burns in mid Jan. On the east coast.
Everything depends, what if they have real tight houses, small houses, etc. It doesn't have to be a rule. Everyone situation is different.

The Control is the “magic” for me. Getting a raging inferno down to a black box with the twist of a knob still amazes me. I had to baby sit my Lopi every load, my Bk is repeatable load after load no matter what kind of wood I load or how I load it.
If you had to babysit your lopi your install needed adjustment. Like I said I like things about the princess just not enough benefits for me.

If I had a King I’d get 24 hours during the majority of our Michigan winter. ;)

If you had to babysit your lopi your install needed adjustment. Like I said I like things about the princess just not enough benefits for me.

I don’t disagree with that, 30’ chimney was too much for it. Pipe damper helped but it was still a pain. It was an Endeavor and loved to run hot, it would run me out of my family room. Loved the construction and quality but I had zero control over it.

Reactions: bholler
I don’t disagree with that, 30’ chimney was too much for it. Pipe damper helped but it was still a pain. It was an Endeavor and loved to run hot, it would run me out of my family room. Loved the construction and quality but I had zero control over it.
Yeah 30' will do that.

Yeah 30' will do that.

If I could’ve loaded it full and never had it go over 550-600 I would’ve never sold it. :)

I enjoy what you bring here so don’t let anyone run you off. ;)

Guys,

The Princess is a great stove and I love it.

But for the new comers, there is no magic to it.

If I could’ve loaded it full and never had it go over 550-600 I would’ve never sold it. :)

I enjoy what you bring here so don’t let anyone run you off. ;)
I'm not getting run off don't worry.

Guys,

The Princess is a great stove and I love it.

But for the new comers, there is no magic to it.

Blasphemy!

Take it back! ;lol

Reactions: bholler
Cool photo of my stove, I don’t think I’ve posted. :confused:

A8F1D3F0-DB36-421F-A306-3416E03F8C4B.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.