2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
8 billion lire. ;lol

Alpine, what is your town's heritage and language? I was surprised, while traveling over there, to hear a lot of German in the Italian alps.

@ratsrepus: around 5.000€ (conversion in USD is up to you)
@Ashful: I live in the eastern Alps, a region that became Italian exactly 100 years ago. So no surprise German (well, sort of it) is common around here. After all, we were part of the austro-Hungarian empire. Farther east, serbo-Croatian is more common while in the western alps French is commonly used.
Side note: I live in a linguistic island that still uses the medieval German of 1400 AD.
And, sadly, Italian lires disappeared long ago.

Reactions: Ashful
Ausgezeichnet!

finally have had the chance to compare the princess to the ashford. The princess seems to be more of a blast type heat where the ashford is a bit more mild. Same wood, same setting the princess cat runs higher. the duration seems to be about the same. So far pleased with the ashford, it just doesn't seem like it puts out like the princess until I saw the inside the house temp a lot higher than i would have thought. I guess that's the difference between a radiant and a convection wood stove. One thing i can tell right off the bat is my wood consumption will be much less than the Jotul required, and the consistent temperature much easier to maintain.

Reactions: Ashful
finally have had the chance to compare the princess to the ashford. The princess seems to be more of a blast type heat where the ashford is a bit more mild. Same wood, same setting the princess cat runs higher. the duration seems to be about the same. So far pleased with the ashford, it just doesn't seem like it puts out like the princess until I saw the inside the house temp a lot higher than i would have thought. I guess that's the difference between a radiant and a convection wood stove. One thing i can tell right off the bat is my wood consumption will be much less than the Jotul required, and the consistent temperature much easier to maintain.
Interesting, I love my princess, its like a nc 30 that can run triple the time on the same load of wood.

I prefer my princess over my Ashford too.;)

I didnt say I preferred it over the ashford, time will tell on that one, to early to tell

Somewhere in eastern pa there’s a man that has 2.....
I’m aware. He’s never had a princess though ;)
Each home seems to do better with either radiant or convection. Personally I’m not a fan of the more convective stoves. I’ve had a bunch, I prefer the big heat!

I think the convection theory would be a more even heat, that's what I'm discovering .

ection stove:
  • is much safer if you have small children because the side plates that draw in cold air stay much cooler than that of a radiant stove.
  • is much better at giving out even and comfortable heat into the room.
  • is also extremely good if you wish to heat adjoining rooms.
A radiant stove:
  • typically an old, big stove
  • heats people and objects directly.
  • gives uneven, "localized" heat within a room.
  • has extremely hot surfaces and can be hazardous, particularly for young children and the elderly.
Most of today's stoves are a combination of convection and radiant heaters. In other words, most radiant stoves have built-in convection tubes or chambers and/or at least one convection panel at the rear heat shield, and most convection stoves have one or more direct radiant surfaces on the top plate and door. You'll want to choose a model that is primarily the type that will work best in your situation.

Popular Convection Models

Posted in Articles & Info: Do It Yourself & Contractor Chimney Info and Fireplaces, Wood Stoves, and Inserts

Blog Categories

ection stove:
  • is much safer if you have small children because the side plates that draw in cold air stay much cooler than that of a radiant stove.
  • is much better at giving out even and comfortable heat into the room.
  • is also extremely good if you wish to heat adjoining rooms.
A radiant stove:
  • typically an old, big stove
  • heats people and objects directly.
  • gives uneven, "localized" heat within a room.
  • has extremely hot surfaces and can be hazardous, particularly for young children and the elderly.
Most of today's stoves are a combination of convection and radiant heaters. In other words, most radiant stoves have built-in convection tubes or chambers and/or at least one convection panel at the rear heat shield, and most convection stoves have one or more direct radiant surfaces on the top plate and door. You'll want to choose a model that is primarily the type that will work best in your situation.

Popular Convection Models

Posted in Articles & Info: Do It Yourself & Contractor Chimney Info and Fireplaces, Wood Stoves, and Inserts

Blog Categories
As someone who works around lots of hot stoves i can tell you the difference in heat on the surface of most convective stoves versus radiant ones doesnt make much difference when you touch it.

Reactions: Highbeam
As someone who works around lots of hot stoves i can tell you the difference in heat on the surface of most convective stoves versus radiant ones doesnt make much difference when you touch it.

yes your going to sing this dumb song every time you work near a hot stove.

Sorry Kenny...

Sorry Kenny...
dude, you wrecked Monday, I wanted the guy to sing this ridiculous song all week and curse me out for another 2 weeks afterwards.

I’m aware. He’s never had a princess though ;)
Each home seems to do better with either radiant or convection. Personally I’m not a fan of the more convective stoves. I’ve had a bunch, I prefer the big heat!

There’s something that just feels good about being in a cooler space, and standing in front of a highly radiant heat source. I believe this is why we love standing near a campfire in the fall, and why people just love those big old cast iron radiators in old houses. I will agree with you there.

The issue is when you have a lot of cold surfaces which are capable of soaking up more energy (and re-radiating it outside), than your heat source can provide. That’s the situation which really favors the convective stove.

Also, whereas a radiant stove must heat up the objects in its line of sight, before those objects will warm the air sent to adjacent rooms, a convective stove heats that air directly. For this reason, when warming up a cold house, I would expect a convective stove might bring things up more evenly more quickly. A radiant stove, on full blast is going to heat up the room it’s in more quickly, but it will take a longer time to bring up the far-off rooms. This doesn’t matter if you keep the stove going 24/7, steady-state.

I have a journeyman license on the princess, the ashford Im just an apprentice. I'm thinking I'm going to like the convection aspect.

I have a journeyman license on the princess, the ashford Im just an apprentice. I'm thinking I'm going to like the convection aspect.
You will like it. I’m just trying to get you all worked up! This place has been kinda dead and I needed some excitement.
I feel like the ultra stoves kind of do both. It’s a good fit for us.

Reactions: lsucet and bholler
I like it already Webby, just a little different beast.

I just thought I would post an up-date to my failed Cat in my Princess. Today I received my new cat from BKVP ( thanks by the way) Before I put the new cat in I thought I should maybe adjust the by-pass door if it needed it. I was looking inside and checking the fitment with a dollar bill and it seemed fine to me. Then while looking in there I got to wondering what my wrench rubbed against last time I adjusted the door. I said to myself " I don't know what the wrench could have rubbed up against I see plenty of room to turn the wrench"...Then it dawned on me the reason there seemed to be plenty of room was the Cat was not in its frame. I used a quite long combination wrench last time I remember it because it is a nice wrench , nice and long lots of leverage if needed. I think when I turned the bolt with one end of the wrench the other end routed a groove into the back side face of the old cat thus the damage to the back side. I just bought a set of stubby combination wrenches this summer so next time I will have those available to use. So in essence end of the mystery why my cat failed prematurely and from the back side no less. Neither the stove or the cat played any part in the failure it was all me.... Carry on with your previously scheduled programing.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll now get a bill from BKVP, sense you admitted you F'ed it up

Reactions: Highbeam
You'll now get a bill from BKVP, sense you admitted you F'ed it up
He had already confirmed the reason, we honored the warranty. No bill....but next time I'm in Maine we'll see who buys the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.