2018-19 Blaze King Performance Thread Part 1 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been burning non-stop for the last 4 days now. Mixed loads of spruce, jack pine and Manitoba maple. The maple makes quite a bit more ash than the pine and spruce, but it also seems like it’s throwing more BTUs. For those of you that burn a lot of different species, do you notice that you can turn your stove down lower when you have higher BTU wood without stalling? I’ve been able to dial the stove down further this fall in the milder temps than i could at any point last winter, so thinking it’s the maple that’s making the difference?

Quick question regarding size of the wood for BK specifically Ashford 25 stove.
Assuming that they are equally well seasoned, what is the best size/shape of wood to obtain longest burn time?Rounds, splits,short,long,thin,thick?Appreciate your feedbacks.

Quick question regarding size of the wood for BK specifically Ashford 25 stove.
Assuming that they are equally well seasoned, what is the best size/shape of wood to obtain longest burn time?Rounds, splits,short,long,thin,thick?Appreciate your feedbacks.

Most volume and least surface area. Put those big chunks in there and then fill the gaps with smaller splits. Minimal air space.

Reactions: chemie
Quick answer for both chemie and MissMac: the bigger the splits & the heavier the wood: the longer the burn. Since we load our stoves by volume, bigger splits mean less air (ideally, a single piece of wood that completely fills the available space would be optimal), and more wood to burn. On the same side, heavier wood (oak vs pine for example) means more fuel for the cat to burn. So, if you wanna reach the longest burn use the heavier wood you can grab, and try to not split it.
Obviously, we’re talking dry wood, aren’t we?

Reactions: chemie
That’s what I was thinking.
Unless a person really takes the time to properly season the wood, heavier typically means more water content. It doesn’t burn longer, it takes longer to burn.. big pieces are good, but you’ve gotta give them even more time to season properly.

Unless a person really takes the time to properly season the wood, heavier typically means more water content. It doesn’t burn longer, it takes longer to burn.. big pieces are good, but you’ve gotta give them even more time to season properly.

I got about 1 cord of seasoned oak from someone on Craigslist for free. The wood cut 4 years ago and most pieces are in pretty good shape. All the wood has moisture level less than %20 according to moisture reader. Some pieces are big as compared to others. I was debating if I should split them further. Most of the splits are longer than 16 in. In Ashford 25 brochure, it says it can take log of 22” but 16” is preferred. So if the splits is 24”, should I cut it into half or as 16” and 8”?

I got about 1 cord of seasoned oak from someone on Craigslist for free. The wood cut 4 years ago and most pieces are in pretty good shape. All the wood has moisture level less than %20 according to moisture reader. Some pieces are big as compared to others. I was debating if I should split them further. Most of the splits are longer than 16 in. In Ashford 25 brochure, it says it can take log of 22” but 16” is preferred. So if the splits is 24”, should I cut it into half or as 16” and 8”?
When I need to cut splits down, I prefer to make sizes I need and then use the little chunks when round the clock heating isn’t necessary. Or campfires etc..

22” is what can e/w in part of the firebox. 16” is what fits n/s.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. Bigger ain't better. The BK let's you turn down to the point where you can just about stall it on toothpicks, you don't need to play games with big wet rounds, to get a longer burn out of this stove.

Reactions: moresnow
Exactly. Bigger ain't better. The BK let's you turn down to the point where you can just about stall it on toothpicks, you don't need to play games with big wet rounds, to get a longer burn out of this stove.

So smaller ( width and length )splits are safer or better for BK for longer burn times?
I keep hearing stalling, I’ll try to find information what makes the BK stall.

So smaller ( width and length )splits are safer or better for BK for longer burn times?
I keep hearing stalling, I’ll try to find information what makes the BK stall.
I didn't say that smaller is better, but that you don't have to play the same "big splits" games that you've read owners of other stoves playing, to get long burn times. Most here find that they are able to stall a BK on any wood.

So, considering that, you're best splitting to a size that's going to dry, as the best way to reliably run a BK super-low is on dry wood.

I didn't say that smaller is better, but that you don't have to play the same "big splits" games that you've read owners of other stoves playing, to get long burn times. Most here find that they are able to stall a BK on any wood.

So, considering that, you're best splitting to a size that's going to dry, as the best way to reliably run a BK super-low is on dry wood.

The wood I got all below %20 oak.I assume it is dry enough to run BK super low. But there are many wide split pieces. Some are about 2 feet long. I am thinking to cut them in to 16” and 8” instead of 12” and 12”.
For BK, should it be also tightly packed with wood?

The wood I got all below %20 oak.I assume it is dry enough to run BK super low. But there are many wide split pieces. Some are about 2 feet long. I am thinking to cut them in to 16” and 8” instead of 12” and 12”.
For BK, should it be also tightly packed with wood?
Only if you want to, it’s certainly not necessary.

Reactions: Ashful
Quick answer for both chemie and MissMac: the bigger the splits & the heavier the wood: the longer the burn. Since we load our stoves by volume, bigger splits mean less air (ideally, a single piece of wood that completely fills the available space would be optimal), and more wood to burn. On the same side, heavier wood (oak vs pine for example) means more fuel for the cat to burn. So, if you wanna reach the longest burn use the heavier wood you can grab, and try to not split it.
Always!

My observations about small split vs big ones. Agreeing with everyone about fully seasoned.

With small splits i noticed that the stove spike more when tstat opens. When it closes the spike still going and my opinion it is consuming the wood faster.

With big splits the temperature is more steady without much spike, going for what I see in the probe. Possibly not consuming the wood faster regardless that BK thermostat controls the burn rate.

More resident time with small splits compare to big splits when thermostat closes. Maybe I am wrong.. talking about fully seasoned or under 20%MC, I do vote for big splits.

Reactions: SuperJ and Alpine1
I do vote for big splits.
Then there's the epic split that @BKVP burned a few years back, the split was 18" long and only trimmed to fit through the door, maybe he'll repost the pic, I think it was burned new years eve or something.
Medium splits work for me, 5" thickness on average, some thicker, some thinner, but 5" will dry out in 3 years down to 16-18% for my area. I also have a mixture of lengths for both n&s, e&w loading.

Reactions: lsucet
It was a piece of black walnut. Weighed about 72 pounds. Barely fit inside my King door. I added to the load a few pieces of maple and 4 NIELS. My wife and I flew to Seattle stayed there overnight. Watched NE beat the Seahawks. Woke up next morning, flew to LAX, then Sydney, then to Auckland. Arrived late evening, went to bed listening to the waves on Waheki Island. Woke up next a.m. to call sons and tell them we arrived safely. Oldest son said, "Dad, stove is still going (active), do you want me to reload?" 47 hours....don't know when it went out...don't care either....I was in New Zealand!!

It was a piece of black walnut. Weighed about 72 pounds. Barely fit inside my King door. I added to the load a few pieces of maple and 4 NIELS. My wife and I flew to Seattle stayed there overnight. Watched NE beat the Seahawks. Woke up next morning, flew to LAX, then Sydney, then to Auckland. Arrived late evening, went to bed listening to the waves on Waheki Island. Woke up next a.m. to call sons and tell them we arrived safely. Oldest son said, "Dad, stove is still going (active), do you want me to reload?" 47 hours....don't know when it went out...don't care either....I was in New Zealand!!

BKVP, what is your take on burning small white oak rip pieces that I posted pics of ? Can they safely and efficiently burn all alone, or half-half , one third combination with big splits in Ashford 25? Thanks

BKVP, what is your take on burning small white oak rip pieces that I posted pics of ? Can they safely and efficiently burn all alone, or half-half , one third combination with big splits in Ashford 25? Thanks

I looked at the picture you posted. If you load the stove full of those, you cannot expect much of a burn time at all. There is a tremendous amount of surface area exposed to combustion with material of that size.

I would think it would make a great stock to:

1) start fires
2) get reloads started quickly (maybe throw 5lbs onto coals and stack in full load on top)
3) get a hot fire at end of season to burn off any creosote in the firebox
4) split smaller, soak them in cinnamon liquid, then dry and sell as tooth picks

I looked at the picture you posted. If you load the stove full of those, you cannot expect much of a burn time at all. There is a tremendous amount of surface area exposed to combustion with material of that size.

I would think it would make a great stock to:

1) start fires
2) get reloads started quickly (maybe throw 5lbs onto coals and stack in full load on top)
3) get a hot fire at end of season to burn off any creosote in the firebox
4) split smaller, soak them in cinnamon liquid, then dry and sell as tooth picks

Like the idea of making toothpicks.
So I understand that even full of firebox with them wouldn’t create a problem but it would be quick/intense heating with very little burn time.
I may use all the options listed.
Thanks!

New BK Princess owner. Long time on Hearth.com.

Installing it now. Looking forward to wrapping my head around this new stove. And reading up on BK owner experiences. Replacing a Napoleon 1400 pedestal. Run for 16 years.

Cut firewood to put myself thru expensive private college. Meant lots and lots of cords. And have cut ever since. Many years now. So do know my way around firewood. Will feed the BKP a mix of Ponderosa, Silver Maple, pinon (my fav from around here), and other pines. Looking forward to different burn times for starters. The Nap was a hungry beast..

Last edited:
First fire of the season was Wednesday afternoon. Loaded the Ashford with the usual mix of Norway spruce and scots pine. 24 hrs later reloaded on hot coals, still active cat. Expect to burn waaay less wood this winter @drhiii

Reactions: lsucet
New BK Princess owner. Long time on Hearth.com.

Installing it now. Looking forward to wrapping my head around this new stove. And reading up on BK owner experiences. Replacing a Napoleon 1400 pedestal. Run for 16 years.

Cut firewood to put myself thru expensive private college. Meant lots and lots of cords. And have cut ever since. Many years now. So do know my way around firewood. Will feed the BKP a mix of Ponderosa, Silver Maple, pinon (my fav from around here), and other pines. Looking forward to different burn times for starters. The Nap was a hungry beast..

Welcome to the dark side.:cool:

Reactions: Ashful
First fire of the season was Wednesday afternoon. Loaded the Ashford with the usual mix of Norway spruce and scots pine. 24 hrs later reloaded on hot coals, still active cat. Expect to burn waaay less wood this winter @drhiii

Curiosity is killing the cat, what would one have to pay to get an ashford in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.