2017-18 Blaze King Performance Thread PART 3 (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is still standing water in the ruts my tractor left last time I tried to fetch some wood from my wood lot. If I went out there today, I'd have likely sunk.

This has been the wettest late winter I can remember.
The east coast is getting a lot of nor'easters this year, right in a row. I can't remember a time like this. My SIL shares your misery. Her back yard is alternating between pond and skating rink.

Reactions: Ashful
I have 3 of 6 incoming cords already stacked, one piled in the driveway ready to stack. Tsat on high, fan kit on high, +84 in the stove room, wife still in yoga pants.

+31 dF outdoors and i got the back stoop (3x6 feet) cleared of snow and dug a lawn chair out. Nice to have a place to sit outdoors again.
See you at the Home Show!

I have been working 16hr days since March 2nd with a possible ending date of March 21st, luckily my schedule is 6am to 10pm so I load the stove up around 5am, head to work, do my thing and do the night reload at 11pm. So far I have been extremely lucky on my restarts, I have had enough coals that I just rake them forward and then load on top of them, also its only taking about 15min to get the cat into the active range. I've been obviously burning low during the day with the blower on low (temps in the low and mid 30's) and burning a bit hotter at night with temps dropping into the low 20's. The stove is a dream to work with, the first 3 days of the first storm I didn't have power but even without the blower running (basement setup) the upstairs stayed in the mid to upper 60's, plus I was to tired to care about the temp.

Reactions: tarzan
That is brutal. I hope you are getting greatly compensating for giving up your life for the job.

Anyone have any specs on the sirocco 13? I saw a video of it as a new product from blaze king but haven’t seen much else about it.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Anyone have any specs on the sirocco 13? I saw a video of it as a new product from blaze king but haven’t seen much else about it.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25
I have not heard of it, what stove is this?... I'm intrigued. Still in the market, upgrading our numerous outbuildings... Sounds like this may be a smaller stove, is that right?

There's also the BK Boxer 24, which, according to the banner ad all over this site (for me at least), is "coming to your home in March 2018." I think it's March now, no? So why, when one clicks on said banner ad and is directed to blazeking.com, is there absolutely zero mention of this much-touted Boxer 24? :p

Reactions: Tegbert
I have not heard of it, what stove is this?... I'm intrigued. Still in the market, upgrading our numerous outbuildings... Sounds like this may be a smaller stove, is that right?

There's also the BK Boxer 24, which, according to the banner ad all over this site (for me at least), is "coming to your home in March 2018." I think it's March now, no? So why, when one clicks on said banner ad and is directed to blazeking.com, is there absolutely zero mention of this much-touted Boxer 24? [emoji14]

It’s an insert and I’m assuming it is smaller but have no idea was just curious. It was in a YouTube video at the 2:35 mark.

BKVP has also said that production on the boxer 24 is started or will be soon but it also is not on the website yet either.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

The BX24 is in fact shipping now. The web gurus are updating site currently to include the unit.

The Sirocco 13 is NOT an EPA approved wood heater and is NOT FOR SALE. It is in development for 2019.

It is a smaller insert. No other particulars or specifications are available .

That is brutal. I hope you are getting greatly compensating for giving up your life for the job.
At this point for me anyway, its not about money or compensation, its about keeping the quality of life up for my friends, neighbors and strangers with reliable electric

Reactions: warhawk and Ashful
At this point for me anyway, its not about money or compensation, its about keeping the quality of life up for my friends, neighbors and strangers with reliable electric

Hey, at least you’re not an accountant. They’re stuck on their ass behind a desk, minus bathroom breaks, until April 14! To be repeated next year, and every year.

Us heat pump users greatly appreciate it;lol

All jokes aside, stay safe! Long hours mixed with little sleep can be a bad recipe.

It’s an insert and I’m assuming it is smaller but have no idea was just curious. It was in a YouTube video at the 2:35 mark.

BKVP has also said that production on the boxer 24 is started or will be soon but it also is not on the website yet either.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Hmm, I could swear the video was available this morning, but didn't have time to watch... now it's unavailable? Seems you stumbled across something "secret"... darn, I missed out.

Also, @BKVP, is there anywhere online to see the specs on the BX24? I'm kinda assuming it's the same basic firebox as the Sirocco insert? Thanks!

Hmm, I could swear the video was available this morning, but didn't have time to watch... now it's unavailable? Seems you stumbled across something "secret"... darn, I missed out.

Also, @BKVP, is there anywhere online to see the specs on the BX24? I'm kinda assuming it's the same basic firebox as the Sirocco insert? Thanks!

Hahahahaha yeah it was available this morning and the last 7 days or so. Now not anymore oh well.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

PM me your email and I can send you the manual.

Not only can a BK heat your house it can dry your blue jeans, ferment your sauerkraut (behind the ash can) and keep the chick brooder at that "just right" temperature. Try that with an air tuber. Not advised as you might come home to the smell of cooking chicken.

Attachments

• 20180315_145350.jpg
    20180315_145350.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 247
Not only can a BK heat your house it can dry your blue jeans, ferment your sauerkraut (behind the ash can) and keep the chick brooder at that "just right" temperature. Try that with an air tuber. Not advised as you might come home to the smell of cooking chicken.
Easy to do with the T6, especially with the swing away trivet top. The side heat is quite gentle but constant.

Easy to do with the T6, especially with the swing away trivet top. The side heat is quite gentle but constant.
Ok, I'll bite. :p

You're right, unless you can't tend to the stove more frequently than umm, 24 hrs? Just thinking of those poor brooding chicks going cold...

Just stirring the pot. I'm totally a fence sitter, call me Switzerland, but it's been quiet around here lately. As I type, it's a blizzard outside. We're supposed to get another 10cm tonight. The winter that just won't quit... good for burning at least! At least I can see it with the time change, would have been dark by this hour last week...

Ahem... begreen, the goal was to NOT cook the chickens! [emoji12]
As noted the sides are relatively cool. With the chicken brooder in the location pictured, no problem at all. And you could be cooking a stew, boiling water and raising bread dough at the same time too. The swing-away trivet design is da bomb.

Last edited:
As noted the sides are relatively cool. With the chicken brooder in the location pictured, no problem at all. And you could be cooking a stew, boiling water and raising bread dough at the same time too. The swing-away trivet design is da bomb.

Does it come with a bread warming drawer?

Yes, that iron jacket is absolutely fabulous at preventing the heat from escaping into the room effectively!;lol

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Exactly the same as on the Ashford. ;)
I've said it before. If I ever go non-cat, at least in this house, it will be a PE Alderlea. Hands down, no question.

Thanks to BK, I hope I never have to do that. Once you go cat, you never go back. Well, unless you're Marshy. :p

Once you go cat, you never go back

Yes, especially if you live in permanent shoulder season territory and/or if you live in a small or very well insulated house. That ruler flat extremely low burn rate using rotten pine is an amazing thing. I live in a house that is variable in size by shutting doors to un-needed rooms. In the winter it becomes 960 sq ft making the Ashford 30 a bit large for the area being heated but with the low low burn, no problem with overheating. The efficiency of this stove at low low burn saves huge amounts of wood with no fear of creosote or smoking out the neighborhood. More than a few times when my wife and I are working outside she would say our stove is smoking. I would calmly reply, no the smoke is from our neighbors stove. Ours smells like burning coal, theirs smells like a wet burn pile. It is easy to differentiate the smells. Air tubers stink -literally- at low low burn. I can't prove it but I think I regularly exceed the brochure touted turn-down rate of %70. Doable with dry wood and a 17' straight stack.

Driving through town, the brick "fire-places" and poor quality stoves ruin the air quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.