2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you never made you're annual pilgrimage down to Whoville this year!
;lol Me, the Grinch? No, the Grinch is the guy that grabbed an extra fifteen hundred bucks that you might've had to spend on Christmas for your kids, instead! :( Happy Pooh Year! ;lol

No problem Woody I saw the cheap shot and took it... lol no hard feelings
The big thing is I took advantage of a day in the 50's and cleaned the stove out, did a sweeping of the chimney and scrubbed the cap.
Didn't have a lot of build up for 2 months of burning so I'm happy, my mind is at ease, next cleaning comes March 1st.

Reactions: Woody Stover
;lol Me, the Grinch? No, the Grinch is the guy that grabbed an extra fifteen hundred bucks that you might've had to spend on Christmas for your kids, instead! :( Happy Pooh Year! ;lol

Yeah, whatever.

No problem Woody I saw the cheap shot and took it... lol no hard feelings
The big thing is I took advantage of a day in the 50's and cleaned the stove out, did a sweeping of the chimney and scrubbed the cap.
Didn't have a lot of build up for 2 months of burning so I'm happy, my mind is at ease, next cleaning comes March 1st.
60 here did the same less the cap. Ran the sooteater up the bypass for the first time. Worked just fine. Very happy with the purchase!

Noticed in my BK princess insert today that a brick or two was cracked in the back, surely from me chucking in wood... any efficiency concerns with cracked bricks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noticed in my BK princess insert today that a brick or two was cracked in the back, surely from me chucking in wood... any efficiency concerns with cracked bricks?

None at all

Shouldn't be, as long as they are staying in place. If not, apply Liquid Bandage. ;) I'd try to avoid "chucking in wood" though. _g

Shouldn't be, as long as they are staying in place. If not, apply Liquid Bandage. ;) I'd try to avoid "chucking in wood" though. _g
It happens with this pumice brick. It doesn't take very much "chucking"

Is there anything proprietary about the brick that BK uses or would it be something I could find at home cheapo?

It happens with this pumice brick. It doesn't take very much "chucking"
Our stove had 9 yr old pumice brick. One at the back now is cracked, but holding together. I know exactly when that crack happened too. It was me slamming in a second split in a hot coal bed.

BG - get some good gloves so you don't have to load that fast, remember your in the BK thread... nothing happens fast here my friend, we are the tortoise in the haire race

Reactions: webby3650
Our stove had 9 yr old pumice brick. One at the back now is cracked, but holding together. I know exactly when that crack happened too. It was me slamming in a second split in a hot coal bed.
And you also live in a much more temperate area. So 9 years there is like 4 here right?

Is there anything proprietary about the brick that BK uses or would it be something I could find at home cheapo?

It's not proprietary, but you are very unlikely to find it locally. A crack is nothing to worry with, it's only an issue if it's falling out of place.

And you also live in a much more temperate area. So 9 years there is like 4 here right?

Could be if it's all about volume of wood, though I thought those magic burners used 1/2 the wood I burn so that should zero out the difference. ;) Our stove goes through 2-3 cords a year depending on the winter.

Could be if it's all about volume of wood, though I thought those magic burners used 1/2 the wood I burn so that should zero out the difference. ;) Our stove goes through 2-3 cords a year depending on the winter.
I'm just saying, we gotta stuff our stoves full around here. To get these long burns BK owners fill it up. Typically don't burn a few pieces at a time, rather a full load to run 24 hours +. The bricks can take a beating during the process.

It's funny here. We don't get as cold as you inland guys but our heating season is 9 months long! More importantly begreen is lucky enough to have a central furnace so he only burns when it's really cold.

I'm just saying, we gotta stuff our stoves full around here. To get these long burns BK owners fill it up. Typically don't burn a few pieces at a time, rather a full load to run 24 hours +. The bricks can take a beating during the process.

I actually feel like I beat on the top of the stove more than the bricks. Trying to wedge one more in.

Reactions: rdust
I run full loads almost all of the time too. Have been since the beginning of Nov. this year.

Ok, maybe I'm the only one with pumice bricks that's seen a cracked one, and all the stoves I service with this type of brick. It's all too common, and of no concern. Even if BG hasn't seen this..

Lot's of people slam the wood in so I'm sure there are many with damaged bricks. Point is, it's avoidable with a little care in loading.

Reactions: Highbeam
We have had our stove for 4 weeks today and as of yet, I have not cracked a brick, but (much to my shame) have have "tossed" in a few splits that rebounded off the bricks in the rear of the stove. I am trying to be more careful, but the damned thing is HOT when there are still a bunch of live coals and chunks of wood left.

With that said, I still have not removed any ash although I think I might need to pretty soon. The wood I am burning does not seem to make much ash although I know pine allegedly does (fir just seems to disappear in the box with barely a trace). I also remember reading that I should leave some ashes in the bottom of the box when I shovel it out?

Any recommendations without going back and reading a thousand posts? How much should I leave in the box? Thinking I will let it burn out next weekend and let the house heat kick on for a bit so I can look everything over.

We have had our stove for 4 weeks today and as of yet, I have not cracked a brick, but (much to my shame) have have "tossed" in a few splits that rebounded off the bricks in the rear of the stove. I am trying to be more careful, but the damned thing is HOT when there are still a bunch of live coals and chunks of wood left.

With that said, I still have not removed any ash although I think I might need to pretty soon. The wood I am burning does not seem to make much ash although I know pine allegedly does (fir just seems to disappear in the box with barely a trace). I also remember reading that I should leave some ashes in the bottom of the box when I shovel it out?

Any recommendations without going back and reading a thousand posts? How much should I leave in the box? Thinking I will let it burn out next weekend and let the house heat kick on for a bit so I can look everything over.
I don't let the stove go out to remove ashes. I just move the big coals to one side and shove the ash down the hole. Then repeat with the other side. I don't intentionally leave ash behind when I clean it out, there will be more in no time!

Lot's of people slam the wood in so I'm sure there are many with damaged bricks. Point is, it's avoidable with a little care in loading.
You could say that again..when my dad loads his insert up, its like he's throwing branches in an old duck and chuck wood chipper.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I just got a BK Princess insert late summer '16 and have been enjoying using it. I'm still getting used to it and how things affect the burn length and BTU output. That said though, I let it cool down recently and my thermostat gauge was as pictured. Is it normal for the needle to be that low on the gauge when the gauge is at room temperature?

BTW, my stove is only a few months old and it looks like one of my rear bricks is already cracked. I don't recall any "chucked" loads either. Should I put any furnace cement between the two cracked pieces?
2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

I actually feel like I beat on the top of the stove more than the bricks. Trying to wedge one more in.

I had seven broken bricks, between my two stoves, after just one year. I don't chuck the wood in, really just gently place it in, while wearing hearth gloves so I don't have to rush. I was surprised.

Like Highbeam, I always worried about bending the frame in the ceiling of the firebox, as those last few splits get wedged in their very tight against them, but that's several inches above any firebrick.

I assume wood initially expands as it's heated, before being slowly consumed. But my bypass still works, so I guess I haven't done any damage, yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.