2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know there is no better stove than BK. [emoji14]

I do feel this is 100% correct when your goal is to "heat" your home with ease and the least amount of hassle.

Reactions: blueguy
I hear this too often, here. BK dealers pushing their other brands over BK. Don't know if this is innocent ignorance on their part, or if they have better incentives on the other lines. We all know there is no better stove than BK. [emoji14]

I'm going with ignorance based on interactions with stove dealers in my area.

I'm one of those that would rather deal with a good local dealer but realize that good local dealers are becoming extinct and not just in the stove industry.

Reactions: Ashful
I hear this too often, here. BK dealers pushing their other brands over BK. Don't know if this is innocent ignorance on their part, or if they have better incentives on the other lines. We all know there is no better stove than BK. [emoji14]
I started the conversation by stating that I had already visited his other store and paid for my BK and was there to look at the BK King and a Chinook they had on display and also to see where they were located as I have to pick up at the second store when my stove comes in as there is no dock at the other store. Don't misconstrue as he was a nice enough guy and tried to help all he could....I think the fact they didn't sell many had a direct bearing on his knowledge of the stove and his short lived subsequent sales pitch on the other brands. Does BK school their reps/dealers? He did assure me that they would direct ship parts if need so I wouldn't have to make a 3.5 hr round trip for parts...

Reactions: black smoke signals
I like to monitor flue temps, although it's super boring... It will really help you grasp what's going on in there.
Just google magnetic flue probe thermometer.
How is double wall constructed? Are you drilling through 2 layers of pipe or is there some single wall exposed enough to drill through one layer of pipe? I will be using the telescoping double wall.

Tar!! You are spot on about dealers knowledge of selling stoves to the public then most of us end up here finding the correct way!

Tar!! You are spot on about dealers knowledge of selling stoves to the public then most of us end up here finding the correct way!
Lucky me I discovered this forum. If not for this forum I would not have been able to make a well informed and educated decision...there are a lot of very bright people here..thats priceless IMO.

How is double wall constructed? Are you drilling through 2 layers of pipe or is there some single wall exposed enough to drill through one layer of pipe? I will be using the telescoping double wall.

I use a telescoping also, what you need is to be sure to drill the holes to the right size as for instructions that way it will fed snag and everything will be good to go and yes you need to drill through

Ordered a Sirocco 30.1 this week. No ETA at this point. I will call the dealer after Christmas and ask : )

You just shoot sheet metal screws through the outer jacket of the pipe. Super simple.

You just shoot sheet metal screws through the outer jacket of the pipe. Super simple.
Let me make myself clear...lol I meant in order to install a flue probe...

Yes, you're drilling through two layers of pipe. For a Condar probe you drill through both layers first with a 3/16" drill. Then you use a 1/4" drill to enlarge the outer layer hole only.

To install a FlueGard Thermometer, drill a 1⁄4 inch hole in the outer wall, and a 3⁄16 inch hole through the inner wall. Position so the thermometer can be read easily at a glance. Slide the magnet then the eyelet onto the stem of the thermometer; and insert into the hole

Yes, you're drilling through two layers of pipe. For a Condar probe you drill through both layers first with a 3/16" drill. Then you use a 1/4" drill to enlarge the outer layer hole only.

To install a FlueGard Thermometer, drill a 1⁄4 inch hole in the outer wall, and a 3⁄16 inch hole through the inner wall. Position so the thermometer can be read easily at a glance. Slide the magnet then the eyelet onto the stem of the thermometer; and insert into the hole
Thank you sir...thats the info I needed.

Couple questions. 18" up on single wall is running arount 225F external. STT is 500+. Cat guage 3/4 around. Anyone ever get water droplets falling from the rain cap? First for me. Same wood that has all checked mid to low teens for moisture. Also inside back wall in firebox looks almost wet with creo. Looking through the glass with a flashlight.

Last edited:
I placed mine 30" up from the stove top to insure a good average reading, not just a hot or cold spot coming right out of the stove.

Couple questions. 18" up on single wall is running arount 225F external. STT is 500+. Cat guage 3/4 around. Anyone ever get water droplets falling from the rain cap? First for me. Same wood that has all checked mid to low teens for moisture.
What is the weather doing there? and how long has this been going on?

weather is mild. Low 30's, light breeze from the SE. Couple inches of sloppy wet snow yesterday.

Couple questions. 18" up on single wall is running arount 225F external. STT is 500+. Cat guage 3/4 around. Anyone ever get water droplets falling from the rain cap? First for me. Same wood that has all checked mid to low teens for moisture. Also inside back wall in firebox looks almost wet with creo. Looking through the glass with a flashlight.
I see drops of black water fall off the cap on occasion. It's normal, once it's real cold you will have nice chocolate ice cycles up there!

Reactions: drstorm
Can someone explain how the bypass works on an ashford 30.1. Sometimes when I close the bypass handle I feel the cam over action and sometimes I don't. It's driving me crazy.

Geez I had one troll tell me that my wife didn't put out when I pointed out how the bk was better. Mods let that stay too!

Question regarding flue temps...my set up will be a 15 ft flue..straight up..with double wall Selkirk with a SS inner and steel outer from stove top to ceiling support and then SS Selkirk from there on up....will getting the BK Princess in the active zone be all I need to know in regards to flue temp? or do I need to monitor the the double wall? and if so how is that done with double wall?

I definitely think flue temps should be monitored, mostly to be sure you are keeping them warm enough to prevent condensation anywhere in the flue. It is not sufficient to just maintain an active cat. I agree with the Condar flue probe meter range that says 400 is the minimum you should maintain at 18" above the stove. I can keep an active cat with flue temps of 200-250 which is way below condensation temps.

1 week into the install. Drive is getting 15-17 hour burns on red fir. Thermostat is set about (1.25) and the house is cooking. 79 degrees and 68 in the bedrooms. High teens outside. I'm gonna be in shorts and flip flops soon.

1 week into the install. Drive is getting 15-17 hour burns on red fir. Thermostat is set about (1.25) and the house is cooking. 79 degrees and 68 in the bedrooms. High teens outside. I'm gonna be in shorts and flip flops soon.
How big a area are you heating?

I definitely think flue temps should be monitored, mostly to be sure you are keeping them warm enough to prevent condensation anywhere in the flue. It is not sufficient to just maintain an active cat. I agree with the Condar flue probe meter range that says 400 is the minimum you should maintain at 18" above the stove. I can keep an active cat with flue temps of 200-250 which is way below condensation temps.
I will make note of that...thanks.

How big a area are you heating?
About an 1800 square feet ranch. Stove is in the living room about 15ft from the end of the house with the MB at the other end of the house. It's very well insulated. Even with propane i was only using about 65 gals/month to heat the place. I do have some operating questions though. My thermometer has the numbers and so far it seems that I run the following temps:
#1- 250-300
#2- 3-400
#3-4-500
#4- 5-600
I set it to 1.25 last night around 9:00. At 6:00 this morning its still active, stove top at 290 (IR gun). This was a load I put it at 11:00 yesterday afternoon. Around 15 hours into a burn I turn the thermostat up to 2-3 for 1/2 hour or so to get the wood burning again then turn it back down. Is this fiddling with it to much? It seems over the course of the week (maybe because everything is heating up evenly in the house) that my burn times keep increasing. 1st load was around 12 hours, then I was getting 15, and the last few loads are increasing as well.

Thermal mass. It's way easier to keep something at a set temperature than to heat it from cold. Your house is holding a lot of the heat, so the stove doesn't have to work as hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.