2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK) Part 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have a photo of the cat from the chimney collar? Wondering if I can vacuum the back side of the cat if I pop the stovepipe off. I don't want to do it, but it may beat pulling the combustor.
Access from the front is at a steep angle to the face of the cat, not straight-on. So, blowing with air gun is going to be less effective with the combustor installed.
I just don't think you can apply enough force by vacuuming, although it may do something. I always get a lot more ash, blowing it out with lung power, than I do by vacuuming. Maybe you can blow it out from the back, getting a better angle? You could rig up a Shop-vac to the front door, but I still think you will dust the room. I would just bite the bullet, get some interam gasket, and pull the cat.
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/782441/products/Interam-Gasket-Material.html
Can you post a picture of the tool you use to break the liner?
It looks like a piece of medieval battle hardware. ;lol

Reactions: Marshy
Can you post a picture of the tool you use to break the liner?
2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK) Part 2

Anyone have a photo of the cat from the chimney collar? Wondering if I can vacuum the back side of the cat if I pop the stovepipe off. I don't want to do it, but it may beat pulling the combustor.

Access from the front is at a steep angle to the face of the cat, not straight-on. So, blowing with air gun is going to be less effective with the combustor installed.
Even holding it in my hand I was not able to vacuum the ash out. I had to use air, maybe yours is less compacted?

Looks like I better get a gasket and pull the cat, so I can get a better look at it. I'd rather leave compressed air as the last resort, only to be used if vacuum fails, but need to see it better than I can with it installed.

Where can I buy a BK-approved gasket online? Not going to have time to drive to a dealer anytime soon.

I like OEM for door gaskets and such but I'm guessing the interam is all about the same...

Looks like I better get a gasket and pull the cat, so I can get a better look at it. I'd rather leave compressed air as the last resort, only to be used if vacuum fails, but need to see it better than I can with it installed.

Where can I buy a BK-approved gasket online? Not going to have time to drive to a dealer anytime soon.

I just purchased 10 feet of it from here. Took about a week to get but at least I have it now. Not using it in a bk or even know if bk approved but it works in my lopi. Free shipping or you can pay for faster shipping. They have 3" wide ones too not sure what you need.

http://www.firecatcombustors.com/ACIG-2-p/sku_acig-2.htm

Lopi Rockport

I made a thread last week with photos of access through the princess collar to the cat. Should be similar, maybe. You can definitely inspect a lot of the cat's back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tegbert
Given this is the BK Performance Thread, for those "in the industry" I will be on hand at the HPBExpo. I would very much like to meet those that are industry members. This is the first week of March.. 2nd-3rd-4th.

For those of you that are sweeps, I will be presenting a program on catalytic technology at the National Chimney Sweep Guild Conference in Louisville March 16-17. Again, would like very much to meet any of you that are on Hearth.

Now back to the show.....

I have found the use of Air in A Can (like to clean keyboards) will clear a cat combustor. The are low psi, have a nice small straw to fit small opening and will not require the combustor to be pulled. HOWEVER THE CAT MUST BE ROOM TEMP!

I just purchased 10 feet of it from here. Took about a week to get but at least I have it now. Not using it in a bk or even know if bk approved but it works in my lopi. Free shipping or you can pay for faster shipping. They have 3" wide ones too not sure what you need.

http://www.firecatcombustors.com/ACIG-2-p/sku_acig-2.htm

Lopi Rockport

I ordered from them too. I like that you can purchase by the foot.

Reactions: Tegbert
I have found the use of Air in A Can (like to clean keyboards) will clear a cat combustor.
I've got a can of something called "Ultra Duster." Label says 1,1-diflourethane. I don't know what that is but it sounds dangerous so I figured I wouldn't use it on my combustor... :oops:

I've got a can of something called "Ultra Duster." Label says 1,1-diflourethane. I don't know what that is but it sounds dangerous so I figured I wouldn't use it on my combustor... :oops:
Difluoroethane aka freon 152a is a relatively stable compound that should not decompose at room temp and with very low bp should leave no residue. Unlike many other halogenated compounds DFE is flammable so use on cool stove/combustor only.

Given this is the BK Performance Thread, for those "in the industry" I will be on hand at the HPBExpo. I would very much like to meet those that are industry members. This is the first week of March.. 2nd-3rd-4th.

For those of you that are sweeps, I will be presenting a program on catalytic technology at the National Chimney Sweep Guild Conference in Louisville March 16-17. Again, would like very much to meet any of you that are on Hearth.

Now back to the show.....

I have found the use of Air in A Can (like to clean keyboards) will clear a cat combustor. The are low psi, have a nice small straw to fit small opening and will not require the combustor to be pulled. HOWEVER THE CAT MUST BE ROOM TEMP!
I'll buy you a beer at the Expo if you've got time. I'm excited to see it all!

@Ashful , I have a rubber attachment for a shop vac that might be just what you need to get at the rear of the cat.

You can get something similar off amazon's electronics section (try 'micro shop vac accessory'- they're intended for cleaning out PCs).

You can also fabricate something similar (and probably better for your application) with a couple feet of flexible tubing and a roll of duct tape. Be sure to leave a big air hole on the vac side of the tubing so you don't kill your motor.

Reactions: Ashful
Hi all,

First winter with ashford 30, really enjoying it so far. Question about smoke output.
The reason I ask is my ashford 30 seems to put out quite a bit of smoke with Cat engaged while the thermostat is wide open. Seems like Cat has to be about 3/4 max temp before smoke out put starts to settle down. Usually once I dial back the thermostat the smoke just kind of trickles out. Does this sound normal??
Could anyone post images of the amount of smoke coming out of the chimney during different Cat temps?

Hi all,

First winter with ashford 30, really enjoying it so far. Question about smoke output.
The reason I ask is my ashford 30 seems to put out quite a bit of smoke with Cat engaged while the thermostat is wide open. Seems like Cat has to be about 3/4 max temp before smoke out put starts to settle down. Usually once I dial back the thermostat the smoke just kind of trickles out. Does this sound normal??
Could anyone post images of the amount of smoke coming out of the chimney during different Cat temps?
Curious. Is this definitely smoke and not water vapor? Water vapor will be white and will quickly dissipate. Smoke with be grey and take a while to diffuse.

Can you shoot some pics of your chimney smoking at various stages for comparison?

Curious. Is this definitely smoke and not water vapor? Water vapor will be white and will quickly dissipate. Smoke with be grey and take a while to diffuse.

Can you shoot some pics of your chimney smoking at various stages for comparison?
I will post some pics tonight when I get home.
Thanks.

I haven't posted since I replaced the gasket and tightened the latch on my princess insert but WOW, what a difference. I can easily cook myself out of the room now. Another friendly reminder to dollar bill test these doors. I had a side that pulled out relatively easily and didn't think much of it... wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: lsucet
How far steam will carry can vary depending on how humid it is outside, but it will usually dissipate pretty quickly, less that 10' from the stack.

2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK) Part 2 2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK) Part 2 2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK) Part 2

First 3 pics are stove at end of burn cycle, no smoke at that point.

View attachment 194373 View attachment 194374 View attachment 194375
I will post some pics tonight when I get home.
Thanks.

Here are 3 pics with half load burning for about 20 min like this.2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK) Part 22016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK) Part 22016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK) Part 2

Hi all,

It's most likely steam rather than smoke.
View attachment 194373 View attachment 194374 View attachment 194375
Have you tested the moisture content of the wood? What was the outside temperature when the pic was taken?

Status
Not open for further replies.