2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK) Part 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
with double wall is hard but possibly about 400. Double like you said but is hard to tell

How far up the stove pipe is a good spot to get a accurate reading for temps? I have double wall. Obviously the closer to the stove the hotter the reading. Im using my ir gun on the black pipe, the cat is nicely being feed its food for the day.

Do you guys think the reading are to high especially when i get closer tp the bypass? Especially if you take those reading and times them by 2.

Niko, you have some confusion going on. You can NOT get any idea of flue temperatures by reading the outside of double wall pipe. That only works for single wall pipe and then you double the surface temperature to get internal flue temperatures. To read your flue temps you must acquire a probe flue temperature meter from a company like condar, not too expensive and the only way to know your flue temperatures.

On low cruise burns my internal flue temperatures as measured with a probe meter are 400 or higher on purpose, they could go lower without stalling the cat but then my chimney turns into spooge city. The stat closes during the startup one hour long high burn with peak flue temperatures as high as 900. So 400 to 900. If you had a single wall pipe, the surface temps would be 200 to 450, pretty much the normal range of any good flue temperature meter.

With the probe meter that you need, the manufacturer specifies the distance above the stove. As I recall it is 18" but the directions will say.

Niko, you have some confusion going on. You can NOT get any idea of flue temperatures by reading the outside of double wall pipe. That only works for single wall pipe and then you double the surface temperature to get internal flue temperatures. To read your flue temps you must acquire a probe flue temperature meter from a company like condar, not too expensive and the only way to know your flue temperatures.

On low cruise burns my internal flue temperatures as measured with a probe meter are 400 or higher on purpose, they could go lower without stalling the cat but then my chimney turns into spooge city. The stat closes during the startup one hour long high burn with peak flue temperatures as high as 900. So 400 to 900. If you had a single wall pipe, the surface temps would be 200 to 450, pretty much the normal range of any good flue temperature meter.

With the probe meter that you need, the manufacturer specifies the distance above the stove. As I recall it is 18" but the directions will say.

Thanks man. Gonna order one thanks.

Reactions: Highbeam
Thanks man. Gonna order one thanks.

You'll love it. The BK really doesn't give you much information on any of its surfaces. That cat meter tells you that it's burning clean but stove top temperatures vary a lot across the stove top from cold on the edges to searing hot on top of the cat. The flue temperatures tell you valuable information to prevent spooging up your flue.

a few pages back there was a discussion about weather to turn the thermostat down to the desired setting all at once or in small increments. I close my thermostat from 100% open to my desired setting about 50% all in one move. What is the difference between the two methods? Is there some benefit to one way of adjustment over the other?

This is what BK states in the manual. I always do it that way. Possibly can contribute to stall the cat.

THERMOSTAT Th e thermostat knob is located on the top right rear corner of the stove. It controls the burn rate of the stove Any thermostat position between LOW(thin line) and HIGH(wide line) will produce the desired clean burning characteristics. However, since each installation is diff erent, you may fi nd it necessary to operate the thermostat to suit your situation. A HIGH(wide line) thermostat setting will produce maximum heat which is more than suitable for heating the average size home. All adjustments to the thermostat should be done gradually. When you fi rst light the stove set the thermostat to HIGH(wide line) setting for 20-30 minutes, or until the fi re is well established. Once the fi re is established turn the thermostat to MED(middle of line) for 5 minutes and then to a LOW(thin line) setting or the desired setting. Too rapid an adjustment may cause the stove to operate improperly. Th e most common mistake new owners make is continually adjusting the thermostat.

a few pages back there was a discussion about weather to turn the thermostat down to the desired setting all at once or in small increments. I close my thermostat from 100% open to my desired setting about 50% all in one move. What is the difference between the two methods? Is there some benefit to one way of adjustment over the other?
I think this method is just fine for people ideal chimney set ups. With a minimal flue, the cat can stall and it can also overwhelm the cat and puff smoke into the room. Kinda like the old VC's would do.

Reactions: Ashful
well the all at once setting does not cause the cat to stall here. As far as a draft mine is strong enough that when I removed my previous stove in the spring , from then till October I just had a piece of tinfoil over the thimble. I did not crimp the foil around the thimble or tape it in place the draft is strong enough hold the tinfoil in place all on its own. I have done this many times over the years.

I also reduce mine from high to medium or less in one move. My Ashford didn't appreciate it much, my other BKs' didn't mind though.

me, personally, sometime see a difference.
EXAMPLE: Let's say that is at 600 stove top thru those 20 minutes burn.and i dial it down to like at 1.5, I notice sometimes that minutes later start dropping to around 575 or so and the cat is not lighting off bright.. if i do it in a few steps but the time i set it in low ( 1.5 ), temp keeps rising and it can touch the 700 for a while and cat light off good keeping the temp up there for awhile.

I think that you are giving more time to the gassing from the wood without choke it to soon

me, personally, sometime see a difference.
EXAMPLE: Let's say that is at 600 stove top thru those 20 minutes burn.and i dial it down to like at 1.5, I notice sometimes that minutes later start dropping to around 575 or so and the cat is not lighting off bright.. if i do it in a few steps but the time i set it in low ( 1.5 ), temp keeps rising and it can touch the 700 for a while and cat light off good keeping the temp up there for awhile.
I think that you are giving more time to the gassing from the wood without choke it to soon
Right. If I'm trying to get a quick light-off from stove/flue temps that are not as high, for as long as I usually aim for, I'll close the bypass and keep some flame going in the box for a while. This will keep heat going to the cat, albeit less smoke, but the cat will glow. Then I cut the air down to cruise setting in a couple of steps.

Wow I have been turning the stove down in one swipe. But I have been getting always mixed results from it. when I come home from work tho I do turn the t stat up some as the fuel gets less to keep the cat in the active zone.

Anyone doing this also?

I listened to the BK Wisemen here and turn down in increments from wide open to 3 o'clock and on avg settle some where in the 2 o'clock to 2:30 range.The wife enjoys a warm house...lol

Most likely. Soak it with PB blaster for a while. Then heat it up and I'll bet you'll be fine. Might be overkill, but that thing will snap in an instant! Better safe than sorry.

PB blaster did the trick, didn't take much at all to turn the nut and nothing broke, whew. I really got this latch tight now, dollar bill test passes flawlessly now. Any issues with too tight a latch? I'm guessing I might be really crunching some of my gasket now, but as long as it's not hurting anything...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PB blaster did the trick, didn't take much at all to turn the nut and nothing broke, whew. I really got this latch tight now, dollar bill test passes flawlessly now. Any issues with too tight a latch? I'm guessing I might be really crunching some of my gasket now, but as long as it's not hurting anything...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shouldn't be an issue. If yours is the old style with the all round catch then it will wear the door latch a little faster.

Reactions: liquidskin
I shut mine down in one step but I always let the cat thermometer get between the 2 and 3 o'clock position without fans (12 o'clock with fans on low) before doing so. Doing it this way always insures ghost flames and cat temps climbing.

I listened to the BK Wisemen here and turn down in increments from wide open to 3 o'clock and on avg settle some where in the 2 o'clock to 2:30 range.The wife enjoys a warm house...lol

Same way I run mine, pretty much full air, turn down to the "r" on normal(3 o'clock) then final setting.

I dont appreciate the Blaze King name being tarnished from idiots that dont do their homework. The moderators should fix title posts especially when new members join. We are all rookies at one point in time but people who arent members and are just browsing see titles threads like the ones we are seeing.

Except the browsing person sees negative and the damage is done.

Like i said in the other thread i just posted im a business man and dont appreciate a good name being thrown around.

Moderators you need to make new rules!

Reactions: black smoke signals
I dont appreciate the Blaze King name being tarnished....the browsing person sees negative and the damage is done...Moderators you need to make new rules!
Yeah, I heard the company is on the verge of bankruptcy....the mods need to try to save them, if it isn't already too late! ;lol

Yeah, I heard the company is on the verge of bankruptcy....the mods need to try to save them, if it isn't already too late!

Then is time to buy not just one more. 2 or 3 of them and a dozen of cat to be cover for the rest of my life.lol

Then is time to buy not just one more. 2 or 3 of them and a dozen of cat to be cover for the rest of my life.lol
If you can afford all that, you can afford to give my sis a good deal! ;lol

Reactions: lsucet
Status
Not open for further replies.