Wow...I am still burning, -10 C in the AM!! Are you???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh

I have a fire going right now in my basement. It's 5 degrees C outside and there is a strong north-east wind which makes it feel like -5 right now. UGH. Where is spring? yesterday it hit +18 C......

It's a good thing I have a decent reserve of wood....Now if only my saw had not broken, I would be cutting today for 2013-2014.

Andrew

Elderthewelder said:
BeGreen said:
Looks like the Seattle area is going to set an all time record lowest maximum temps for April this year. Time to turn up the heat. My plants want to get out of the greenhouse.

I just fired up the stove a hour ago to get the chill out before we sleep, not as cold as the past couple of nights but i fired it up anyway. beats running the NG furnace

Yes, I fired up the T6 first thing this morning. We'll still be burning some nights until evening temps warm up.

Had to run the AC upstairs for three days and nights and now the heaters are running. >:(

I almost started a fire in here today! The inside temp was 62 when I got up, yikes! :bug: I just put a sweatshirt on and dealt with it, later on we had two soccer games and a birthday party and I got a sunburned face! The house was 69 this afternoon. No need for a fire and windows are still open.

Went shopping for starts yesterday for hanging baskets. Had too much on my plate last year to do much with flowers, and really missed them, so as soon as I'd taken down the wood rack on the back porch, I promised myself an excess of flowers this year.

Went to three different stores, and was shocked to find in two of the stores trays of dying plants--people had no clue apparently that they were supposed to water the soil, not the leaves. The third place was a semi-outdoors add-on to a store--north side, naturally, and the plants had been allowed to get as thirsty as the other two places--and then were indunated as evening was falling hard. The store clerk who had watered them was wandering through this wind tunnel shivering in a thick down coat, and the drop-down tarp on the outside wall was still rolled up. It was clear from the feel that a hard frost was going to hit, and that they were going to lose a lot of these stressed plants. Are most people just oblivious to the weather?

Came home and lit a great fire, and enjoyed the heat very much. Since the snow is gone, I've found several more stashes of very burnable wood cut to length and dry enough to burn well after a day or so inside. Remain grateful for this stove. More burning weather coming--need to pull a few more sled loads of wood in to the house (even though the snow is gone, this still remains a handy way of moving wood around--Jet Sled Jr, a great little tool).

Tonight...Mostly cloudy. Chance of rain showers in the evening. Scattered snow showers after midnight. Lows 20 to 30. west winds 10 to 20 mph.

Saturday...Mostly cloudy. Scattered snow showers in the morning...then isolated rain showers and snow showers in the afternoon. Highs around 45. West winds 10 to 15 mph.

Started planting baskets, but they will remain safely tucked away in the sunroom for at least a few more weeks.

A little late to this thread but ja, I'm still making a fire most every evening. Finally putting those Super Cedars to good use. If it isn't downright cold, it's rainy and damp. I guess that's why they call this the Rainy Lake District.

Status
Not open for further replies.