Work Done in 2019

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My first 2019 work was Friday the 11th when the ground finally froze enough around here to get into the woods. I cut a couple small dead standing elms and I'm burning a bunch of it tonight. A week or so split and stacked and it's ready to go.

This past Friday I got back in the woods and cut some small dead standing Black Locust and a large Cherry. The top of the Cherry broke off during a storm this summer and the bottom half of it is still standing, which I haven't cut down yet. It looks very infested with ants but the top part I cut up the other day has no ant damage at all.

Hopefully I can get back in the woods this week. It's snowing pretty hard here at the moment with about 6 inches on the ground, by far our biggest snowfall of the winter so far. They're predicting 12-16 inches by the time it's done but we'll see. It's going to warm up this week again so the 12 inches of snow we might get would melt/compress into 7 or 8 so I can drive through that easily.
Don't you like the dead standing that you can burn pronto. I have a few dead elm that needs to come down but nothing big.

I'd still like a few ash down this winter but since I never cleaned up in that area before any snow hit this year, I'm not sure what is down in my escape routes.

We ended up with 10-12" here in the valley. What was your total in the foothills?
I'm thinking 14 to 16 inches but that's a guess. Not many sleds out today, they either were snowed in or emptied the cooler last night.

We ended up with about 12 inches. Rough weather o Monday wind chills were -10 or lower. Not very much fun to be outside. By Wednesday they are calling for 43 and rain then cold again.

Reactions: thewoodlands
We ended up with about 12 inches. Rough weather o Monday wind chills were -10 or lower. Not very much fun to be outside. By Wednesday they are calling for 43 and rain then cold again.
It was nasty here this morning with a regular temp of -26. At about one today I started the roof raking and plowing out areas that I didn't get to yesterday, after I was done with that I pushed back some snow along our driveway before we get more snow,rain and then another shot of cold air.

On Tuesday we started with temps about 5 degrees around 4 am, by 9 pm we were over 32 degrees. Went up to 47 today with rain all day. Just about all the snow is gone just a disaster every where now.

On Tuesday we started with temps about 5 degrees around 4 am, by 9 pm we were over 32 degrees. Went up to 47 today with rain all day. Just about all the snow is gone just a disaster every where now.
What do you mean by disaster, flooding?

Since the rain has moved out, we'll put in a bunch of wood tomorrow and the next day. Tomorrow we'll put in hard and soft maple and the next day we'll put more ironwood in for this new shot of cold air coming in.

Reactions: heavy hammer
By disaster I meant flooding and standing water everywhere. I put in a lot of wood in these next couple of days in preparation of the next cold as well. A couple of days we will be lucky to get out of the negatives. Locust and cedar!

By disaster I meant flooding and standing water everywhere. I put in a lot of wood in these next couple of days in preparation of the next cold as well. A couple of days we will be lucky to get out of the negatives. Locust and cedar!
I'll be going down to check the brook out tomorrow, hopefully we don't have an ice jam.

I hope you're high and dry, we'll be complaining about ice pretty soon.

I'm on a hill so I'm in pretty good shape, but like I mentioned in other threads getting back up when it is icy especially with the tractor is not fun at times. But I don't mind carrying wood it is good exercise and the dogs and me get to spend time outside. That's why I'm looking into a set of chains for the rear tires I hear they help a lot.

I'm on a hill so I'm in pretty good shape, but like I mentioned in other threads getting back up when it is icy especially with the tractor is not fun at times. But I don't mind carrying wood it is good exercise and the dogs and me get to spend time outside. That's why I'm looking into a set of chains for the rear tires I hear they help a lot.
They sure would be nice om the back tires, I was looking at some last night.

The brook didn't look like it had any ice jams on this end by the bridge this morning.
IMG_2222.JPG

We put in two small loads of wood before this next cold shot comes in, tomorrow we'll put in some ironwood with another small load of sugar and soft maple.

This was the first load with the second load a bit bigger.

Attachments

• 101_2223.JPG
    101_2223.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 327
Last edited:
We don't have a rack open inside that we can put some wood in but with the outside temps not that bad (14), we put more sugar & red maple in along with some ironwood.

Attachments

• 101_2227.JPG
    101_2227.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 299
  • 101_2228.JPG
    101_2228.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 328
9919C26A-77C8-4E02-A6B6-F3CD26C32BC1.jpeg 860DE5D8-5819-4CF6-987A-B288333A77D8.jpeg Might bring in a little more tomorrow but this is usually 2 weeks worth. With this cold like most I’m sure I’m going to use more but I’m ready. That's the furnace's fuel tank 275 gallons, it was filled in Sept. I have used about a quarter of the tank so far.

Last edited:
Kirtland, OH 10 Day Weather
8:08 pm EST
Print
DAY

DESCRIPTION
HIGH / LOW PRECIP WIND HUMIDITY
TONIGHT

JAN 26 Snow
--19°
90%
SSW 13 mph 81%
SUN

JAN 27 AM Snow Showers
23°11°
40%
W 13 mph 70%
MON

JAN 28 PM Rain/Snow
40°20°
80%
SSE 13 mph 66%
TUE

JAN 29 Cloudy
23°-2°
20%
W 14 mph 75%
WED

JAN 30 Cloudy
0°-9°
20%
WSW 18 mph 62%
THU

JAN 31 Cloudy
5°2°
20%
WSW 12 mph 61%
FRI

FEB 1 AM Snow Showers
16°6°
40%
WSW 6 mph 65%
SAT

FEB 2 Mostly Cloudy
23°17°
10%
SW 7 mph 68%
SUN

FEB 3 Snow to Rain
36°29°
40%
SSW 12 mph 69%

Not horrible a few cold days. The warm ups with rain is what makes it a mess. The week after, granted its 2 weeks away anything can change but you see what I'm talking about.

MON

FEB 4 Snow to Rain
38°29°
50%
SW 11 mph 75%
TUE

FEB 5 Snow Showers
38°23°
50%
S 9 mph 81%
WED

FEB 6 Snow Showers
27°18°
40%
WSW 11 mph 78%
THU

FEB 7 Snow Showers
29°22°
50%
W 10 mph 75%
FRI

FEB 8 Snow Showers
30°22°
40%
W 8 mph 75%
SAT

FEB 9 Snow Showers
32°24°
40%
WSW 7 mph 75%

Unless this changes, it's not the coldest realfeel we've seen.
r-bsp.s3.amazonaws.com%2F4b%2F9d%2F65b23e2f4155b8ceb094c226a25c%2Frealfeels-this-week.56.42%20AM.png

Not the coldest, I agree. It will not be a fun week to work outside everyone try and stay warm. Watch your pets as well temps like these are rough on them as well. I;m just surprised to see the temps for next week.

Since we might get another 6-10 inches of snow (maybe more) from this storm, I picked up another 10 gallons of diesel, 6 more bags of pellets and some Mahindra Arctic Blast fuel treatment since our last container is getting low.

Better to be safe than sorry, I usually have around 20 gallons of diesel on hand. But I also have a diesel pickup so it never really sits.

The snow blower was spittin and sputtering so I took the gas out of the tank and put new stuff in that was treated with seafoam but it was still running the same so I took the spark plug out (all gunked up) so I put a new one in and she's running like it should. It's an old John Deere 826 , late 70's or early 80's.

We haven’t had much of a winter this year, it’s been sunny, cool and dry for a week. Managed to get up to the wood lot for the first time this year. Mixed load of maple and hemlock. Last year there was too much snow up here at this time of year....
CE3C9986-9450-4D65-82C0-E314CBE4488B.jpeg

58A5B827-50FE-4040-8099-5ECCD74EBCF4.jpeg

I'm sure everyone is burning through some wood now, but i agree the winter has not been very bad at all. By Saturday we are back in the mid thirties, and all next week is 30's and 40's.