Work Done 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I finally sprayed my work clothes with permethrin that I wear in the woods along with my boots with more of my wife's gear too. The wife took two more ticks off her pants with a lint roller with one more coming off the dog.

I do have a pine that came down across a trail my wife uses once in a blue moon but that will wait until after the rain stops.

She doesn’t get it….yet. She’s still in the phase of why do we need wood to keep our house warm when we have a gas boiler
Set the thermostat on the gas boiler to 58 and see what she says. The 72 degrees of wood heat ought to change her mind mine loves the wood heat even helps me stack wood when processing.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Set the thermostat on the gas boiler to 58 and see what she says. The 72 degrees of wood heat ought to change her mind mine loves the wood heat even helps me stack wood when processing.
You must have missed my stupid long thread about the stove and my wife that I had going about 6+ months ago.

If you have some time… it is lengthy

Last edited:
So Mother Nature, after sending enough rain to cause a basement seep requiring me to open a wall in the rec room at home adding to my remodeling requirements, decided that I needed to run a chainsaw for awhile by sending a tornado through the Northwoods property last night where we just built and will be moving to fairly shortly... So flying trip up this morning for a couple of days.

Work Done 2024Work Done 2024Work Done 2024Work Done 2024Work Done 2024Work Done 2024Work Done 2024Work Done 2024Work Done 2024Work Done 2024

Luckily there was no damage to the buildings, but lots of tree's down and hung up. It appears that it literally went right over both buildings high enough to miss them but low enough to take a butt load of tree's down. The neighbor actually saw it sway his tree's in circles, knock them down across his driveway, miss his house, then drop down to the ground a couple hundred feet behind his house and level everything.

So Mother Nature, after sending enough rain to cause a basement seep requiring me to open a wall in the rec room at home adding to my remodeling requirements, decided that I needed to run a chainsaw for awhile by sending a tornado through the Northwoods property last night where we just built and will be moving to fairly shortly... So flying trip up this morning for a couple of days.

View attachment 327717View attachment 327718View attachment 327719View attachment 327720View attachment 327721View attachment 327722View attachment 327723View attachment 327724View attachment 327725View attachment 327726

Luckily there was no damage to the buildings, but lots of tree's down and hung up. It appears that it literally went right over both buildings high enough to miss them but low enough to take a butt load of tree's down. The neighbor actually saw it sway his tree's in circles, knock them down across his driveway, miss his house, then drop down to the ground a couple hundred feet behind his house and level everything.
I can't like that, it left you with plenty of work, stay safe.

My wife had told me that a dead pine came down across a trail she'll use so I took the 310 with a mudder chain on it and then opened up the trail. About 15 minutes after I was home the storms moved in, the heavy rains stayed northwest of us by about a mile.

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

View attachment 327717View attachment 327718View attachment 327719View attachment 327720View attachment 327721View attachment 327722View attachment 327723View attachment 327724View attachment 327725View attachment 327726

Nick, looks like you are going to be busy. Happy to hear there was no damage other than the trees. Keep an eye out for the high hangers. I have a section of woods I won't go into right now there is so much loose stuff just laying in top of the canopy.

It's supposed to rain tomorrow so Monday I have a snapped oak laying in a pine that it shoved over into other trees. It's down the drive where I have a burn pile ready to go. Perfect time to light the pile and then toss the brush on from the trees.

Reactions: NickW
Nick, looks like you are going to be busy. Happy to hear there was no damage other than the trees. Keep an eye out for the high hangers. I have a section of woods I won't go into right now there is so much loose stuff just laying in top of the canopy.

It's supposed to rain tomorrow so Monday I have a snapped oak laying in a pine that it shoved over into other trees. It's down the drive where I have a burn pile ready to go. Perfect time to light the pile and then toss the brush on from the trees.
Lots of leaners and hangers. Most are in the woods and will be left for a while to see if Mother Nature takes care of them. There's one I have to get that's over the trail, but I have a plan that requires a helper.

Yeah, busy ... After I finish the remodel, sell the house, move to the Northwoods, rebuild the boardwalks, get a pole shed up, do the Phase 2 basement build out and take down the 70 dead ash tree's I flagged in the swamp that the tornado didn't knock down. Will be doing some re-prioritizing.

Today I took care of the pine in picture 4825, 4829 is after it was on the ground, 4833 are the rounds heading to our splitting area, the dead pine on the left in picture 4832 hit the ground next, that also went to the splitting area.

I have some dead branches I'll pick up before I get the tractor in there, the birch on the ground will get lifted up with the forks and then bucked up, there still should be some good firewood in it.

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Shed is full, but I saw a load of what I think is beech logs. Haven't had beech firewood before (though lived in mixed forest with beech patches earlier in my life). Other bigger beech trees nearby. So some work to be done (in the heat...) but splitting was easy as you can see with the one trial.

Got two pick up trucks full; one for my friend and one for me.
Nice and straight logs. Cut them on site, but still heavy to lift into the truck bed.
Interestingly upon splitting, the sapwood read 40%, the heartwood 24.5%.
IMG_20240610_130250095.jpg

Also some maple - separate thread asking what type (I'm afraid only silver, but that's okay).
IMG_20240610_130302024-1.jpg

Well, I didn't get to the pine. I lit a fire to burn 2 big piles of cleanup and the brush from the oak. It was a full time job today.

7 hours of burning but it's cleaned up. I had forgotten how much big, punky stuff I had pulled up. Put the embers out about an hour ago. I'm done

I forget what time the Severe Storm Warning went off last night but the dog went to her safe area. The storm hit at 11:46 p.m. last night with heavy rains and some pretty good winds. I heard something come down so I checked around the house from inside, all was good.

Today I had planned on doing some trail mowing but because of the winds, I decided that the trails should get checked first , I found one small maple that was damaged with part of a big pine that the winds brought down.

I limbed up everything that was across the trail and then bucked it up, I also opened up the gully below since we use that for walking.

Picture 4844 is the small maple I removed, 4847 through 4854 is the white pine that mother natured peeled off the tree.

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

With the hot weather coming in, today I hooked up the trail mower and did all the trails. Another thing that I wanted done was pulling out the fridge so I could vacuum the back of that out, we usually do it in the fall & spring but by the looks of it, I missed last fall and never did it in the spring which I realized, that's done.

Tonight I'll check the bathroom fans, I'll vacuum out whatever is in those.

I worked up a sweat today. Five or so rounds of silver maple. Every freaking round needed the maul and sledge, not only for.the first halving but at least until quartering. After that the maul. The x-27 just gave dull thuds, nothing more.

Also the beech from earlier was done a few days ago. Storing on a rack outside until it'll get in the shed for three years after the coming burning season.

Work Done 2024

Work Done 2024

My plan last night had me heading into the woods but since I had more mowing that needed finishing, I decided this morning that I would finish that today with the push mower.

The lightweight base layers I wear for tick protection (sprayed with permethrin) had me drenched so I called it a day.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Thewoodlands, the ticks have been bad this year. Not having cold winters lately do not help. Our rightaways at work seem to be crawling with them. Some guys seem to attract more than others but it is easy to find a few on them on you from just being out in the woods or long grass. I spray myself down all the time and still find the occasional one here or there.

Thewoodlands, the ticks have been bad this year. Not having cold winters lately do not help. Our rightaways at work seem to be crawling with them. Some guys seem to attract more than others but it is easy to find a few on them on you from just being out in the woods or long grass. I spray myself down all the time and still find the occasional one here or there.
Yes, not having colder winters doesn't help us when it comes to ticks. So far this spring/summer, I've only taken two off my clothes with a lint roller but since I sprayed my working gear with permethrin, I haven't taken any off with the lint roller. I haven't been cutting much this summer but have been outside enough that I usually would take more off.

I wear a lightweight base layer (also treated) under my pants and t-shirt, it makes it pretty darn hot at times but when my water is gone, my day is done.

It has been a wet summer here, how about your area? So far the skeeters haven't been that bad but the deer fly are a groan.

The deer flys are bad this year, It has not been a bad summer here so far, hot but we are a little low on rain even though we did get some today. I have been moving a lot of wood up to my main stacking area by the house to make some room for the piles of logs I need to cut and split. It has been a busy summer with the girls in camp, sports etc.

The deer flys are bad this year, It has not been a bad summer here so far, hot but we are a little low on rain even though we did get some today. I have been moving a lot of wood up to my main stacking area by the house to make some room for the piles of logs I need to cut and split. It has been a busy summer with the girls in camp, sports etc.
The fireflies are in the backyard putting on a show tonight.

The day after we had a Tornado Watch, the winds were actually stronger. I took the dog for a walk and we came back on this trail, the trees were making some crazy sounds so I was glad when we got out of the woods, I noticed this the next morning.

I'll take a good look from the other side and then decide how I'll take it down. Usually these trees will have some rot in them so I'll check for that too.

Work Done 2024