Woodstock is coming out with another new stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
EPA wood stoves are clean enough, is there really that much difference between 1 GPH and 7 GPH? Time the EPA set some standards for OWB and fireplaces.

Reactions: FyreBug
The local clean air idiots claim that more than 50% of wintertime fine particulate pollution is from woodburning. In the summertime, that majority of course shifts to transportation sources. They still think we are evil and since we are the minority, the weak, we are easier to squish than industry with their lobbyists and big money. Not sure what method they'll use but these guys need to justify their existence.

yeah, not sure i buy the wintertime particulate figures. They should stick their heads down a coal fired power plant stack and measure those particulates. for real.

I'm betting that the new Woodstock stove is smaller and requires less clearance than anything in their current lineup. Perfect for my dining room. ;)

Reactions: raybonz
I'd like to see a progress without the hybrid, cat only. T-stat would be nice too.

I'm betting that the new Woodstock stove is smaller and requires less clearance than anything in their current lineup. Perfect for my dining room. ;)

Hey Steve, you should have enough wood there now to support two stoves!

The local clean air idiots claim that more than 50% of wintertime fine particulate pollution is from woodburning. In the summertime, that majority of course shifts to transportation sources. They still think we are evil and since we are the minority, the weak, we are easier to squish than industry with their lobbyists and big money. Not sure what method they'll use but these guys need to justify their existence.

I sat in a conference last year from Environment Canada who were discussing the evil of wood burning to the HPBA associations. Lot's of analytics and slides to prove the point. So I raised my hand and asked how much of these wood burning environment concerns come from forest fires, open pit fires and uncertified appliance? The answer about 99% !

So it seems forest fires across North America is the greatest culprit of wood burning emissions.

As the previous poster mentioned, If the EPA were to tackle the trucking industry they would meet a formidable foe and well oiled (pardon the pun) association to lobby the government. Currently EPA and DOE has in their sight some gas logs & fireplace in addition to wood burning.

Our association is small and tries hard to educate the public and government agencies wood burning is not the evil it is made up to be. It is therefore not helpful when the CAT faction within the association then undermines the efforts done by the association by agreeing with EPA to push for lower emissions below 2 g/hr.

Just a bit smaller than what they currently have, front loader and I'm in!

Backwoods promised me a shoebox style model like that last year. Cat, straight in front loader. Drooling commence.
If it has the same size firebox as the Fireview (2.2 cu ft) it would be a potential replacement for the Encore in a few years (5 or so, I'm quite tired of moving stoves).

If it has the same size firebox as the Fireview (2.2 cu ft) it would be a potential replacement for the Encore in a few years (5 or so, I'm quite tired of moving stoves).

Its been some time till i got the chance to get back here. Did alot since then including a wood shed and putting up wood among other things. But imagine, my wicked shock that you finally found a spot for a NC 30...got a thread link on upper install?

Its been some time till i got the chance to get back here. Did alot since then including a wood shed and putting up wood among other things. But imagine, my wicked shock that you finally found a spot for a NC 30...got a thread link on upper install?
I PMed you so I don't clutter the thread with my wood stove buying ramblings.:)

Hey Steve, you should have enough wood there now to support two stoves!

I'm thinking that an additional, smaller stove wouldn't increase my overall consumption that much because I wouldn't have to work the Fireview as hard if it had some help in the other end of the house. I'd bet that my I'd burn about 125% the wood and 25% the propane as I do now.

Yep. I think you've got it right. You're going to put a certain amount of BTU's into that house to reach a given temperature, somewhat regardless of how many stoves are used in the process. The primary difference being that you'll likely get the far end up a bit warmer (thus using some more BTU's) with two stoves, versus one.

Yep. I think you've got it right. You're going to put a certain amount of BTU's into that house to reach a given temperature, somewhat regardless of how many stoves are used in the process. The primary difference being that you'll likely get the far end up a bit warmer (thus using some more BTU's) with two stoves, versus one.

That's about like saying driving two cars to move two people will use just as much fuel as driving a single car with two passengers. You will burn more wood using two stoves vs. one.

I know that a second stove would use more wood. I don't think it would use twice as much is all.

That's about like saying driving two cars to move two people will use just as much fuel as driving a single car with two passengers. You will burn more wood using two stoves vs. one.

Not even close. Assuming you and your friend each weigh 200 lb., and your cars weigh 3500 lb., you're comparing moving 3900 lb. of material to moving 7400 lb. of material (not to mention, twice the wind resistance). Simple physics, not rocket surgery.

Fundamentally, two appliances of similar effieincy will burn the same amount of fuel to keep a space at the same temperature. The only difference in this case is that he's not keeping the place at the same temperature. He will be able to keep the end of the house farthest from stove #1 warmer, and will therefore burn more fuel.

In fact, there are second-order effects (the loss of trying to move warm air thru ducts spaces adjacent to outside walls), which can actually favor a distributed heating plan, in some circumstances. Neither has any bearing on how much BTU's you must fundamentally pump into your house to make up for what you're losing to the outside. In other words, you won't need to keep room #1 at 80*F to get room #2 up to 70*F, thus potentially saving some fuel in situations where the losses are very high.

Three lightbulbs of 40 watts throw roughly the same heat and light as one lightbulb of 120 watts. How you distribute them is up to you, and their distribution is independent of how much heat your house loses to the outside.

Three lightbulbs of 40 watts throw roughly the same heat and light as one lightbulb of 120 watts. How you distribute them is up to you, and their distribution is independent of how much heat your house loses to the outside.

I'm not talking about another 120 watts of light, just a drop light to see better behind the refrigerator.

Yep. I think you got a good plan, there. I'm in the process of installing my second stove, for the same reason, although my second stove is 3.0 cu.ft.

I'm thinking that an additional, smaller stove wouldn't increase my overall consumption that much because I wouldn't have to work the Fireview as hard if it had some help in the other end of the house. I'd bet that my I'd burn about 125% the wood and 25% the propane as I do now.
I found that to be true adding our wood cook stove to the other end of our house. That made a big difference, allowing the main stove to do a lot less work. So by not hammering the wood through the main stove and now letting both stoves cruise, there wasn't a big increase in wood usage at all. Maybe a cord? What would normally be added to the main stove if I was running it harder now went into the cook stove. I will tell you, two stoves give you some sweet heat.

Reactions: Ashful
I found that to be true adding our wood cook stove to the other end of our house. That made a big difference, allowing the main stove to do a lot less work. So by not hammering the wood through the main stove and now letting both stoves cruise, there wasn't a big increase in wood usage at all. Maybe a cord? What would normally be added to the main stove if I was running it harder now went into the cook stove. I will tell you, two stoves give you some sweet heat.

I am vindicated! ;lol

I suspect wood stoves are going to see a bump in sales as the economy isnt getting any better. I see more people going to wood to save energy costs.

I suspect wood stoves are going to see a bump in sales as the economy isnt getting any better. I see more people going to wood to save energy costs.
All that will mean is a bump in the used stove market when all the people that blindly buy wood stoves do so without realizing the planning and work needed to make it a successful purchase.

So, that's a win for people like me.

Reactions: PapaDave and Ashful
I am vindicated! ;lol

Okay. I tend to think in extremes and I know that 1000s of little heaters would not be as efficient as a central heater even if the overal lbtus delivered is the same. These are not light bulbs, light bulbs are 100% efficient. The inefficiencies of stove operation mostly happen during warm up and reloading. More wood will be used but not double of course, the car example was an analogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.