Wood stove ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If I put in a cold air return and cut in a register when my hot air heat kicks in will they fight each other?
As long as there not next to each other, my cold air return is on my stairway down, the hot air supply grate is about 2ft away from the top of the stove in the chase in-line with the stove top assisted by the booster fan.

Reactions: earnies2
I have a wood stove in my basement. My basement is nice and hot my living room isn't. I have insulation in the floor rafters in the basement and I also have the cellar door open.
My question is should I remove the lnsulination in the floor rafters?
Should I cut in a register in the living room floor? And maby one in the front hallway to send heat to the 2nd floor? Any advice is appreciated
You should be able to get a heat transfer device, basically, conductive metal to get warm from basement heat and radiate it to the upstairs. any hole you cut allows air and is a fire hazard, that's why it's against code.

You should be able to get a heat transfer device, basically, conductive metal to get warm from basement heat and radiate it to the upstairs. any hole you cut allows air and is a fire hazard, that's why it's against code.

On my last house it was built in 1855 with a steam boiler and the first year I spent 3 grand on gass and the house was always cold downstairs yet upstairs was hot. So I saw on this old house hydronic heat and I built a system with a water heater and my floors on the first floor were kept around 85-90 degrees all winter. Wich brings me to an idea the aluminum conductor plate that I stapled to the bottom of the underlayment would help to convect heat to the floor!

Reactions: theora55
If it is not a major hassle, start with just removing the insulation from the basement ceiling. How close is the stove to the basement stairwell? Are there any walls between there and the stove?

You are correct I apologize.
This is what you said
"By the looks of that stove I would dump it as well" can you explain why.
It's a very old smoke dragon that will chew through the wood.check the back of the stove for a label to see if it is an approved stove.if not ,you may not get insurance.

If it is not a major hassle, start with just removing the insulation from the basement ceiling. How close is the stove to the basement stairwell? Are there any walls between there and the stove?
That will be my first project the staircase is in the middle of the house. Standing at the bottom of the stairs the chimney is rite beside the stairs and the stove is next. The stove is in the middle of the basement as shone in the picture

That will be my first project the staircase is in the middle of the house. Standing at the bottom of the stairs the chimney is rite beside the stairs and the stove is next. The stove is in the middle of the basement as shone in the picture
That should convect pretty nicely up the stairs into the middle of the house if the stairwell is wide open in the basement and doesn't have a closed door at top.

Attachments

• Wood stove ?
    6017.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 101
That should convect pretty nicely up the stairs into the middle of the house if the stairwell is wide open in the basement and doesn't have a closed door at top.

Its not even with the cellar door opean you don't notice any heat coming up the stairs. I will take some pictures of the stove and cellar stairs for you

Whats wrong with the stove? I will seriously look into insulating the walls.
Nothing is wrong with the stove, some people think you have to have a brand new stove to heat with. I have the big brother to your stove and does great and burns clean. The walls in your basement are drawing out a lot of heat.

No heat will go upstairs until you have a place for the cooler air to drop! You have trapped air at the stairs. Removing the insulation “might” help with warming the floor for upstairs. It might be against code for cutting floor registers in, but it’s your house and if you decide to sell the place, close up the register holes and be done. It’s your choice on how you want to heat the place. People on here have a lot of experience and knowledge with wood burning, but until you find a way for cool air to drop into the basement, you will struggle to heat upstairs. Insulating the walls will help also.

No heat will go upstairs until you have a place for the cooler air to drop! You have trapped air at the stairs. Removing the insulation “might” help with warming the floor for upstairs. It might be against code for cutting floor registers in, but it’s your house and if you decide to sell the place, close up the register holes and be done. It’s your choice on how you want to heat the place. People on here have a lot of experience and knowledge with wood burning, but until you find a way for cool air to drop into the basement, you will struggle to heat upstairs. Insulating the walls will help also.
Thanks

Reactions: logfarmer
Nothing is wrong with the stove, some people think you have to have a brand new stove to heat with. I have the big brother to your stove and does great and burns clean. The walls in your basement are drawing out a lot of heat.
Yes, as long as the cat is doing its job and still active it is not a bad old stove.

Reactions: logfarmer
With the stove right next to the stairwell it's hard to understand why a lot of heat is not already heading upstairs.

Tape a piece of toilet paper at the top of the doorway to the basement. It should give a visual indication of airflow. Then hold it down low in the same doorway. It should show a strong return airflow down the stairs.