Wood stove for garage 650ft best choice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My attached garage stays 30°-40° warmer than outdoors with no direct heat. If I needed it warmer I could pull out the interior wall insulation.

Didn't used to be that way until I replaced the windows.

Can you see daylight around your garage door when it's closed? Go get some garage door weatherseal mouldings.

Is the bottom seal good?

Is the door itself hollow or insulated?

Lots of easy stuff you can do to warm up the average garage without a heater.

Decided to go with this 1400. Paid $250 cash. Been working on the restoration. Cleaned and painted just about everything. Haven't done the outdoor paint burn off yet...

I oiled the inside which why the cap is on to reduce the smell from the penetrating oil.
Wood stove for garage 650ft best choice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rickb
Decided to go with this 1400. Paid $250 cash. Been working on the restoration. Cleaned and painted just about everything. Haven't done the outdoor paint burn off yet...

I oiled the inside which why the cap is on to reduce the smell from the penetrating oil.
View attachment 241482
Posted to the wrong thread...sorry

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

View attachment 241482

Can you explain why you used penetrating oil on the inside?

Reactions: kborndale

View attachment 241482
I hope you pulled all the brick before oiling inside

Yes no fire brick. The stove was in a shed for a few years. Humidity got to it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

At what point is a “garage” just another room? I don’t park any vehicles in my garage and I don’t store gas cans in the garage either. I do have cans of wd40, pb blaster, spray paint, stuff of that sort. And what does it matter if the garage is attached or not if it is not used as a “garage”. Just for the record I don’t have a woodstove in mine or any heat for that matter. I’m also not arguing how the code is written. This post is purely inquisitive.