Will it be ready? Wood Cut in May & split this past weekend.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
iceman said:
Stevebass4 said:
LLigetfa said:
Sounds like a good deal. If I could buy seasoned wood cut, split, and STACKED, for that price, I'd jump on it. I pay $100 for green logs in the round and still have all that work and waiting for it to season.

you and me both - for $150.00 a cord stacked i'd sell my splitter and saws - well maybe not ;)

if i could get 150 stacked..............
wow that would save me... the money i am about to spend on a splitter.... years of copayments for back related injuries and mostly it would save me a hell of a lotta time!

a splitter with a log lift and a 12 way would save the copayments and the time.

SolarAndWood said:
iceman said:
Stevebass4 said:
LLigetfa said:
Sounds like a good deal. If I could buy seasoned wood cut, split, and STACKED, for that price, I'd jump on it. I pay $100 for green logs in the round and still have all that work and waiting for it to season.

you and me both - for $150.00 a cord stacked i'd sell my splitter and saws - well maybe not ;)

if i could get 150 stacked..............
wow that would save me... the money i am about to spend on a splitter.... years of copayments for back related injuries and mostly it would save me a hell of a lotta time!

a splitter with a log lift and a 12 way would save the copayments and the time.

but a splitter with a 12 way and log lift would cost me ....ahhhh house, car, would then lead to child support........ i'll take my chances with copayments!

Indeed, that is why both of my splitters are 30+ years old. Between the two of them, they seem to get it done. I have been sitting on a 6-way/electric repower of a splitter my father in law built years ago for a while now. Once the 4 cylinder Wisconsin he put on it is running right, selling it may pay for the 6-way and a 6hp electric motor.

SolarAndWood said:
Indeed, that is why both of my splitters are 30+ years old. Between the two of them, they seem to get it done. I have been sitting on a 6-way/electric repower of a splitter my father in law built years ago for a while now. Once the 4 cylinder Wisconsin he put on it is running right, selling it may pay for the 6-way and a 6hp electric motor.

6way 6 horse from where?

There is a guy south of Rochester making 6-ways in his shop. A friend of mine gave me a 6hp/3400rpm electric off his compressor with a tank that failed. It should run on a dryer circuit without a problem. I am more than happy with the 2hp electric for 5hp gas swap I did earlier on my wife's grandfather's old splitter. Runs better than it ever did with the old Briggs.

Location is everyting. I live in MA and have 9 cords aging with the oldest about 9 months now. No way near ready yet. I hoping 6 more months will help.

I'm on a trip to Southern CA and I saw a dealer with cord wood. These guys have it made. With near 100 degrees and very little rain, I'm willing to bet wood ages much faster out here, especially in the summer. Not sure why they need cord wood in Southern CA anyway?

Just a recommendation if your wood turns out to be not quite right: DON'T burn the dryest stuff at the start of the season ! Save the dryest wood for the coldest part of the winter or you will be miserable. Something else you can do depending on loaction is to buy some nut or stove sized anthracite coal and get the fire burning hot and then layer on a bit of the coal. The coal has a very high BTU content and its heat output will be invaluable in forcing the moisture out of the wood to get it to burn good. But you need a temperature of 1000F in the firebox to ignite it else you may as well put gravel in there.

Good luck...

How safe is it to put coal in a modern EPA stove? I though it would burn way too hot and cause problems...

not to be mean but again....... resplit your splits...... all of them ............cut them down and they will dry ALOT faster!!!!
if you would like to save some of the bigger ones..... fine but try o postion them where they will get sun/ or a lotta air... and you should get by in jan with those
believe it or not.... i think (my opinion) my wood got more seasoning from winter than it has this summer..... cold air means DRY air which will suck moisture outta anything..... summer air is usually hot and humid in these parts .... so how well is it drying in the summer vs say sept -march where usually sept -nov dry air and wind ... late nov thru march real dry air!!!
i mean in my opinion... in these parts (new england) summer on a good day dew points and humidity levels are between 45-55......in winter its so low the weather people often say " the snow is over us now but the air is so dry its not making it to the ground.... so i think summer finishes it off but winter is usually where most of the evaporation gets done...... in these parts

cycloptic pendulum said:
Adam_MA said:
How safe is it to put coal in a modern EPA stove? I though it would burn way too hot and cause problems...
coal wont burn right in epa stove. coal needs air from below & grates.

He's got a New Yorker WC 90 that's both Wood/Coal

WoodButcher

I wouldn't burn one piece of that oak. Waste of time and BTUs...

As for the other stuff, you may be able to burn the maple and birch and not to sure about that walnut..

Status
Not open for further replies.