Wife approves of a Blaze King!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I Never doutb the ability and knowledge that bholler has...if it is not working for him at least he give it a try and he will have a solid reason to say is not working for him. I will questioned anyone that says that BK has no top end in a good way, cause it is not my experience. Period.
I didn't say it had no top end, just not as high as some. Settle down. ;) Like I said, if you have the "headroom" on BTU output, top end shouldn't be a deal-breaker in most cases.
I salud you, my hat off to you, for the dedication, entertainment, trauma, obsession and anything else that is happening to you, when it comes to your agony of bashing BK. You think you are helping but actually you're not. You are just seeing another opportunity. The OP asked questions about it and I provided some answers. If you not happy with the information provided and it is questionable for you, who cares. You not the one buying it, right?
Thanks. I would tip my hat to you as well, but I don't generally wear one. As far as the "salud," I'd rather have a salad..my intake of veggies has been low. I did make some avocado dip for the Stupor Bowl yesterday. Is an avocado even a vegetable?? ;)
I'm not bashing the Princess. Like you say, it works for some. I'm just advising him to take the posts that are telling him "yeah, works great for me" with a grain of salt. He needs to assess what his requirements are, try to factor in as many variable as possible, and then make his decision. He is working hard to come up with the answers, as evidenced by his many questions over the years.
Ok the Princess may not work. I have Jotul, Quadrafire, Lopi, and Vermont Castings and Pacific Energy dealers all with 100 miles of me.
That's great; The more choices, the better! I have been eying the PE stoves as a replacement for my SIL's Dutchwest 2460. They are supposed to burn pretty long for a non-cat, with the EBT secondary air control. I will go look at them and if I like what I see, and the ash dump looks like it will work well, and if the blower isn't too loud, and if it seems like it will also heat well without the blower, I might advise her to get a Super Classic enamel. ;) PE Summit would no doubt handle your place. A notch above the Princess in output I would guess..but it's just a guess on my part. I imagine that you know, from the Heritage, that a secondary stove can take off on you, if you don't know how to start a fresh load and keep it under control. Other than that, it's maintenance-free and should be bullet-proof, with that stainless secondary baffle.
The only advantage to the Princess, in my book, would be that it's about fool-proof as far as overfiring, with the thermostat, and will open up the air at the end of the burn to take down the coals automatically. On the minus side, you have a cat to replace, and more maintenance issues.

Reactions: Newburnerwisconsin
To be fair the firelight was one of the worst jotuls made. Using it as a basis for comparison is very unfair.
That may be true. But in light of the construction I was describing, it is exactly identical to the Firelight they make today... and the Oslo. All cast panels, cemented to a base and cemented in the corners.

You never burn a non cat or a BK but here you are giving advice... I salud you, my hat off to you, for the dedication, entertainment, trauma, obsession and anything else that is happening to you, when it comes to your agony of bashing BK.

You think you are helping but actually you're not. You are just seeing another opportunity.

webfish said:
FORUM RULES:
It is against the Forum Rules to spend endless threads promoting a certain brand or product, even if you don't financially benefit from it.

Members who are not here to be helpful (Spammer, Trollers, Attention Grabbers, etc.) will be banned from the site.

That may be true. But in light of the construction I was describing, it is exactly identical to the Firelight they make today... and the Oslo. All cast panels, cemented to a base and cemented in the corners.
Yes in 20 to 30 years unless abused an Oslo will need torn down and recemented. How much will you have spent on cats for a bk by then?

Reactions: Woody Stover
Yes Woody is guilty of the second part of that. But I don't think many of the bk guys have any room to talk because of the first part.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Ten minutes.
I am talking money not time. You can easily pay to have the stove rebuilt in 20 years of not buying cats every 2 to 3.

Reactions: Ashful
To be clear I am not saying one is nessecarily better than the other. Just that recementing a stove after 20 or so years is not a big deal

I am talking money not time. You can easily pay to have the stove rebuilt in 20 years of not buying cats every 2 to 3.
I know what you meant, I was just having some fun with you. But $200 and two minutes of my time to swap a cat every third year is a total non-event for me.

If we're really talking 20 - 30 years, you'd be insane to even consider the cost and effort of a rebuild on any stove. At that point, it's probably time to stop spending money on most stoves, if for no other reason than availability of repair parts.

To be clear I am not saying one is nessecarily better than the other. Just that recementing a stove after 20 or so years is not a big deal
Agreed!

Reactions: bholler
Ten minutes. ;)
In 20 years of regular service there will be at a minimum many cat exchanges and some baffle gasket replacing and adjusting. 6 cats at $260 (current Firecat pricing) is not trivial. Not knocking the product, but honesty about service is more helpful than a stove's fan minimizing. For some this will be a non-event, for others it will be a costly routine.

Last edited:
I know what you meant, I was just having some fun with you. But $200 and two minutes of my time to swap a cat every third year is a total non-event for me.

If we're really talking 20 - 30 years, you'd be insane to even consider the cost and effort of a rebuild on any stove. At that point, it's probably time to stop spending money on most stoves, if for no other reason than availability of repair parts.

Agreed!
Yeah it really is that long. As long as people don't use the ash pan to start fires they are pretty bulletproof

Yes Woody is guilty of the second part of that. But I don't think many of the bk guys have any room to talk because of the first part.
True. I've seen begreen paraphrase that above line as, "It is against the Forum Rules to spend endless threads promoting or bashing a certain brand or product, even if you don't financially benefit from it", but the webfish rules are always easier to find.

Yeah it really is that long. As long as people don't use the ash pan to start fires they are pretty bulletproof
Wet wood burner's trick. The scary thing is that of all the castings on those stoves, that ash pan hinge is the most likely thing to break, due to the width vs. height of that door. It'd be mighty bad timing to have that occur with a fresh full load just catching in the stove.

20 - 30 years.... it's probably time to stop spending money on most stoves, if for no other reason than availability of repair parts.
There'd better be spare body parts available, if I'm gonna be cutting, splitting, hauling and loading wood in 30 years. ;lol
In 20 years of regular service there will be at a minimum many cat exchanges and some baffle gasket replacing and adjusting. Not knocking the product, but honesty about service is more helpful than stove fan minimizing.
Knock it off, ya troll. ;) ;lol

True. I've seen begreen paraphrase that above line as, "It is against the Forum Rules to spend endless threads promoting or bashing a certain brand or product, even if you don't financially benefit from it", but the webfish rules are always easier to find.
I'm about ready to leave Hearth.com permanently. When the site gets taken over by one tribe or faction it is no longer helping the general public. That's why I have dedicated so many hours here. Not to pimp a product or brand.

And in 10 yrs our stove had needed a gasket replacement - $35.

I had to put a few bricks in the regency over that time frame. And i regasketed the door and glass when i painted it after moving before reinstalling. It didnt really need it yet but i figured i would do it anyway.

I'm about ready to leave Hearth.com permanently. When the site gets taken over by one tribe or faction it is no longer helping the general public. That's why I have dedicated so many hours here. Not to pimp a product or brand.
!!! I hope you are kidding..but I know you're not. You are bailing for the reasons stated in this post? I wondered why lately you had been vanishing for days at a time. Say it ain't so, Joe..if your name is Joe. ==c
I long for the days before those other clowns got kicked off or left the site. :(
And in 10 yrs our stove had needed a gasket replacement - $35.
What? You didn't weave a new Hogwildz gasket out of dried-out spaghetti? ;)

I don’t think I said anything that disagrees with the two of you. My statement was, “The Jotul 600 can crank out some serious heat, but the cemented cast is a higher maintenance ordeal when it gets older.”

Having owned three cemented cast stoves, all 20+ years of age, I stand by that. And yes, bholler, their downdraft return system may have not been the greatest, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the cementing of cast panels.

Your Alderlea is a welded steel box, no?

I don’t think I said anything that disagrees with the two of you. My statement was, “The Jotul 600 can crank out some serious heat, but the cemented cast is a higher maintenance ordeal when it gets older.”

Having owned three cemented cast stoves, all 20+ years of age, I stand by that. And yes, bholler, their downdraft return system may have not been the greatest, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the cementing of cast panels.

I dont have an altera i just have a 3100 and yes it is steel. I have had old cast stives before though. And work on many.

And yes i know the problems with them had nothing to do with the castings

The way to see savings for some are different for others. Some has furnace, heat pump, mini split etc. What you save here you spend it there. At the end everything is balanced.
I don't care $200 every a few years, better than paying propane and electricity with the furnace and pellet stoves before.
Now. Am I really saving money?
Hell no, what i save here I spend in something else. ( My horses for an example ), maybe you on a boat, rv, trips, new car etc. For me there is no savings. It is just what it is. Choices, adventures.

The way to see savings for some are different for others....At the end everything is balanced.
Yep, income is balanced by outgo and at the end we are back to zero. ;lol

Reactions: lsucet

The F12 Firelight was a different animal. Your experience was limited to a complex version of Jotul. The F400, F500 and F600 are much simpler designs and definitely lower maintenance. 20 yrs between recementing is pretty common for the newer stoves and not very costly.

This thread has played itself out and is off the rails like so many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.