Wife approves of a Blaze King!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If raw heat is what you are looking for.......The Princess might not be the right fit. She is more of a gentle heat releaser and a energizer bunny at the same time....keeps on going....

I think this is an excellent point. I think one thing you could evaluate with your current setup, @Newburnerwisconsin, is how often you need to push your current stove with frequent reloads and a full firebox. Obviously the recent polar vortex has been extreme up there, but what about during “normal” heating season conditions.

In our last home we used to run a Lopi Revere and were, by and large, quite happy with it. We bought it originally just to heat a large area in our finished walk-out basement because it was uncomfortably cool when we used the central heat. Over the years, however, we changed to being full-time, whole-house heaters. At that point we decided to switch to a Blaze King Princess Insert because we thought the larger firebox and thermostatic control would suit our goals, especially during our shoulder seasons. Part of the reason we thought this was because we knew we didn’t need the maximum output from the Revere. The only reason we loaded it full at bedtime was to have a nice overnight burn, but that definitely overheated our basement.

I’m telling you our thought process in the hopes that it will help you think about your situation. (I seem to recall numerous threads in the past couple of years, so I know you’ve been thinking a lot.). Unfortunately, we moved before we changed out the stove. (We had already bought one for an amazing price—if we hadn’t gotten that clearance deal, I don’t think we would have changed.). I wish we’d had a chance to compare to see if the change really would have had the benefits we’d hoped.

If raw heat is what you are looking for.......The Princess might not be the right fit. She is more of a gentle heat releaser and a energizer bunny at the same time....keeps on going....
I dont know why you can not get the princess hot and think it can not give you raw heat. two or three season back, we went into this with @Woody Stover and i posted some picture taking the temp of the stove at different areas. Also if i remember correctly @BKVP also posted a picture with the same information on his King. Back in those days i was not 24/7 here as now, i used to come maybe twice a week and weekends for sure. I had to bring the house to temp every time. I know what is run the princess hard. I can get them to 600 to 650 and more if i want at wide open throttle with no issues before the tstat says is enough and the flames start going lazy some how. I start to cut it back way before that point, cause there is no point going that high. Or you are having issue with your wood or something is going on on your setup. Anyway 700 df stove top by many manufactures is overheating the appliance but i know many here will tell you it is ok.

Reactions: Newburnerwisconsin
As my son always says...."it's in the math dad."

Put 50lbs of wood in a stove. Divide the energy input by hours needed to consume the 50lbs. Simply put, you will drive x btus per hour.

Repeat the process and use the same fuel source on the same chimney. You'll wind up again with x btus per hour.

When someone comments that a BK doesn't burn much longer than a non thermostatically controlled stove...when the results will be fairly equal. Unless of course the thermostatically controlled stoves actually does burn longer...ummm.

Oregon OM-7, Method 28 and now Method 28R all use weighted formulas. Why are 80% of the emissions test results based upon low and medium low? For the same reason every brochure touts low burn times....because that's how most stoves are operated.

There are plenty of great stoves out there...find one that suits your needs and stay warm.

I actually upgraded from a hearthstone heritage to a princess in my home. I can tell you that the princess is a far more capable heater. Anything that the hearthstone can do, the princess can do better except looks. The heritage was pretty.

The heritage is small. Actually under 2 cubic feet as measured compared to 2.8 for the princess plus the princess can be run hot or throttled back to a way lower output rate than the heritage.

The heritage delivered on its promised specs and looked good. The princess delivered too. Both stoves cost about the same. It’s hard to believe how nice thermostatically regulated output can be until you’ve experienced it. Especially when you can adjust that output level from very low to very high.

how often you need to push your current stove with frequent reloads and a full firebox. Obviously the recent polar vortex has been extreme up there, but what about during “normal” heating season conditions.
That's what I was trying to get at earlier. From his reply, it sounds like he is running the stove kind of hard, and sending heat up the chimney.
I want as much heat in the house as possible. Yes, I also have LP heat. I am losing a fair amount of heat up the flu. I am thinking I will have more heat by switching to a steel/cast iron stove from soapstone. Both the F55 and Princess should throw out a lot more heat than the soapstone.
With a bigger stove, running low, you slow down the air flow through the stove, and the stove can capture more heat, instead of it going up the flue. If you must have a BK, get a King. I'd be looking at other stoves, but to each his own. That's why there are so many stoves out there to choose from.
we moved before we changed out the stove. (We had already bought one for an amazing price—if we hadn’t gotten that clearance deal, I don’t think we would have changed.). I wish we’d had a chance to compare to see if the change really would have had the benefits we’d hoped.
So you no longer have a stove, correct? When are you gonna get one? ;)
We like it. Very rural.
It's nice...until the power goes out. Better stove up! >> With a blower stove like the BK, how are you gonna get the heat if the power goes out...you got a generator?
I dont know why you can not get the princess hot
As my son always says...."it's in the math dad."
Right, math and physics. You want low end, you gonna give up high end. Until the aliens deign to give us free energy, or make the head muckety-mucks loose up on it, we are stuck with Newtonian physics. One day, BK fairy moon dust will be a reality. Until then, we dream. :)
Eyesocket, that is why you now have two Princesses..or is that Princessi? ;) And these graphs show why you need a stove that puts out, in WI. Not sure he lives in Wisconsin Rapids, but IIRC he is in that general area..central WI. And I realize that Los Alamos might be a little warmer and less windy than your place. It's so friggin' cold up there in central WI, you can't believe it. Driving through it in a heated truck cab is one thing. Living there, like I did, is quite another. :oops:

Wife approves of a Blaze King!!! Wife approves of a Blaze King!!!

Last edited:
That's what I was trying to get at earlier. From his reply, it sounds like he is running the stove kind of hard, and sending heat up the chimney.
With a bigger stove, running low, you slow down the air flow through the stove, and the stove can capture more heat, instead of it going up the flue. If you must have a BK, get a King. I'd be looking at other stoves, but to each his own. That's why there are so many stoves out there to choose from.
It's nice...until the power goes out. Better stove up! >> With a blower stove like the BK, how are you gonna get the heat if the power goes out...you got a generator?

Right, math and physics. You want low end, you gonna give up high end. Until the aliens deign to give us free energy, or make the head muckety-mucks loose up on it, we are stuck with Newtonian physics. One day, BK fairy moon dust will be a reality. Until then, we dream. :)
Eyesocket, that is why you now have two Princesses..or is that Princessi? ==c And these graphs show why you need a stove that puts out, in WI. Not sure he lives in Wisconsin Rapids, but IIRC he is in that general area..central WI. It's so friggin' cold up there, you can't believe it. Driving through it in a heated truck cab is one thing, living there, like I did, is quite another. :oops:
View attachment 239954 View attachment 239967
Regardless I always run two stoves when needed. Two pellets, two woods or combination. But 80% of the time I run just one on near 2400 SF old leaky house counting the upper level. No probs here. Far from perfect this house.
Aside, get it up to temp and keep it there if needed don't have relation with how many stoves I am using. I provided data, not just saying cause I want to say. "You member;lol"

Just with coals after 20 hrs;lol.

Attachments

• Wife approves of a Blaze King!!!
    MVIMG_20190202_181557.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 229
    IMG_20190202_181541.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 239
    MVIMG_20190202_181700.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 230
    MVIMG_20190202_181612.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 239
Reactions: Newburnerwisconsin
For the OP regardless which stove you decide, all what I want to say is that BK has the top end like any other stove. I am not saying, buy a bk, I am just providing some info.
I cut it back cause I don't need all that heat but I want to show you.

Attachments

MVIMG_20190202_194921.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 277
    MVIMG_20190202_195006.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 296
    MVIMG_20190202_194424.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 308
    IMG_20190202_194826.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 283
    IMG_20190202_200250.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 274
Reactions: darktower007

Eyesocket, that is why you now have two Princesses..or is that Princessi? ;) And these graphs show why you need a stove that puts out, in WI. Not sure he lives in Wisconsin Rapids, but IIRC he is in that general area..central WI. And I realize that Los Alamos might be a little warmer and less windy than your place. It's so friggin' cold up there in central WI, you can't believe it. Driving through it in a heated truck cab is one thing. Living there, like I did, is quite another. :oops:

What stove do you suggest? I can not buy a BK King because I already have a chimney with a six-inch flue.

For the OP regardless which stove you decide, all what I want to say is that BK has the top end like any other stove. I am not saying, buy a bk, I am just providing some info.
Thank you very much. Is that the King or Princess model?

I only use the blowers on the coldest of nights...otherwise I cant stand it in here...currently its 38 outside and I have her cranked down as far as I dare so as not to stall the cat.Its 24 hr burn weather the next 2 days with highs in the low 50s...

Do you use a blower?
As needed. Sometimes too lazy to fire up the other stove, run the fans on one for awhile after reloads and a hot burn. Weather here lately have been between 19 and low 20s at night and some days going to 50 during the day.
I just run one under this conditions. Just a hot burn every night to spike the house temperatures, run the fans for awhile to move the heat and shut everything for the night. Fans off and stove on low.
That works for me very well.
If using both no need to run the fans.

Reactions: Tar12
Sometimes I have to wonder where you get your ideas. “Blower stove” not sure what that means but I seldom run the blower on my ashford. I did hook up a wireless thermostat to the plug in the blower is plugged into and it is nice when it’s -30 or even colder. The stove heats well without the blower however. I just wanted the wireless thermostat because with a blaze king when the blower comes on in the middle of the night and the stove starts to cool the stove thermostat opens and keeps the stove up to temp.

Reactions: Ashful
You do not need to use the blower. Totally optional on a freestanding bk. I own the optional blowers and only use them occasionally.

Reactions: Ashful
I am just providing some info.
Can you shoot the side of the stove, that is shielded by the inner baffle?
What stove do you suggest? I can not buy a BK King because I already have a chimney with a six-inch flue.
Oh, right, you said that earlier. "Oh no, I suck again!" ;lol
“Blower stove” not sure what that means but I seldom run the blower on my ashford
From what he has said, I'm pretty sure he's not heating his place sufficiently with a Princess without the blower running, much less an Ashford. If he buys one, we shall see..
You do not need to use the blower. Totally optional on a freestanding bk. I own the optional blowers and only use them occasionally.
I'm sure you meant to say "I don't need the blower." Then again, you live in coastal Oregon, not central WI.

Highbeam...I thought you lived in WA? Boy I have got to up to date!

Highbeam...I thought you lived in WA? Boy I have got to up to date!
Oops, that's right. He lives way up north where it's cold. ;)

Can you shoot the side of the stove, that is shielded by the inner baffle?
Remember? I provided that info to you too in the past. That is not a valid point cause the ultra has side shield for clearance and convection. It convect up and to the front. For larger houses convection is a good feature to put heat out of stove area. I have one install that it is set up like kind of an alcove but it is open on the sides not enclosed. The other is a corner install. Why I want to heat up the side walls? What I need is heat moving out of those areas and the side shield creating protection to the sides, lower clearances and convection are a plus. Amen.

thanks you very much for posting this information and the photos. The Princess should meet most of my heating needs. I want to heat with wood as much as possible because it's off-grid and self-reliant. I don't plan to buy a blower. Switching from soapstone to steel should put a lot more heat in the home.

Sometimes I have to wonder where you get your ideas. “Blower stove” not sure what that means but I seldom run the blower on my ashford. I did hook up a wireless thermostat to the plug in the blower is plugged into and it is nice when it’s -30 or even colder. The stove heats well without the blower however. I just wanted the wireless thermostat because with a blaze king when the blower comes on in the middle of the night and the stove starts to cool the stove thermostat opens and keeps the stove up to temp.
Can you please tell me more about your home and heating area? Sq. ft, home age and type. Are happy with the way your BK performs during a Polar Vortex? I just heard more cold is on the way for February. Thanks for your time.

Oops, that's right. He lives way up north where it's cold. ;)

It’s a pretty great place to live for now. Less than an hour’s drive to the ski lift. An hour the other way to inland salt water where bg lives. Still in WA BKVP. I did look at real estate in a few eastern wa cities including walla walla! Planning a move someday.

I meant it, nobody needs to run the blower. There’s a difference between what somebody needs and wants. The stove will make lots of heat without them and your home’s heat demand can help you decide if you might want to run fans or maybe just turn up the thermostat. Choices.

Pellet stoves need to have blowers running, forced air furnaces also need blowers. Like a stone stove, the bk does not need a blower but using one can increase output if that’s what you want.

These stoves all work great with no power and no blower. If you like noise, the fans on a bk will strip a bit more heat from the stove which causes the thermostat to open a bit more.

Last edited:
This is our second season with an Ashford 30, fully heating 2400 square feet on one level. No room in the house goes below 20C( that's 68F for the metrically disadvantaged) with the stove set fairly low, and we're getting 16-18 hours on a load of doug fir. Even with our convective Ashford, I can still get the the whole house up to 24C easily when it's 0C outside. These stoves CAN put out the heat when you need it. You're in Wisconsin, your results will vary.

A bit of a "cold" front coming in this week, going down to -7C, gotta bring in a couple of wheel barrow loads for the week.;lol

Reactions: lsucet
Status
Not open for further replies.