Why is it such a pain to get a fire going in my Jotul Rockland?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcc

Dec 12, 2016
Northeast Ohio
My house has two identical masonry fireplaces, one on each side. It is a pretty standard colonial - it faces north and the fireplaces are on the east and west sides.

In one fireplace, I have a Jotul Rockland. In the other, a Jotul 602C. Both are exhausting into a stainless steel liner inside a brick chimney.

The 602C fires up like a champ. In no time, I'll have a ripping fire and have close the air intake most of the way to keep it at a reasonable temperature.

The Rockland is a pain to get going. Often I'll start a fire with the door open, think I have it well established, and close the door, only to have the fire peter out. Yes, I have the air intake slider all the way open. Even with the door open, I have difficulty and have to lay into it with the bellows to get a decent flame going.

Once everything is hot, it seems to sustain itself pretty good, but I can't figure out why it doesn't start up faster.

Any thoughts?

Welcome. How tall is the liner on each stove? How well seasoned is the wood?

Thanks! Happy to be here. Long time lurker, first time poster.

How tall is the liner on each stove? How well seasoned is the wood?

I didn't install the liners myself - I assume they go up the entire chimney. Both chimneys are the same height - 2 story colonial + attic... 30' ish?

I'm using the same wood in both stoves. It reads out at 14% on my General moisture meter.

OK, that eliminates both common causes for balky starting. Draft should not be an issue. If anything I would expect too strong draft to be more of a problem.

How long has this been going on? If the liner was badly dented or torn that could spoil draft. Another possible issue could be if the liner appliance adapter was not screwed in and an air leak has occurred there. This would require pulling the surround to check.

When was the Jotul insert liner last cleaned? Was the cap screen cleaned at this time?

When was the Jotul insert liner last cleaned? Was the cap screen cleaned at this time?
Well, I expect it was pretty clean when it was first installed... Since then, I must admit I haven't had it cleaned. I think we got it back in 2010, but haven't really used it much. The 602 (which went in in 2012 I think) has gotten much more use, but also hasn't been cleaned. Perhaps that would be a good first step...
How long has this been going on?
It has always been slow to light, but until we got the other one, I didn't know there was anything potentially going on.

In previous years when we did use it, it was generally with EcoBricks. They were also slow to light compared to the 602.

Aside from what BG said couple other things that could effect draft. Sounds like the chimneys are exterior so; the east side chimney may be the colder one slowing draft. Trees or adjacent rooflines can impact.

Try moving one of the skamol bricks in the baffle out of the way. Push it up and slide it to one side. Put piece of newspaper right into the flue and light it. Should light up and then burn up with a pronounced whooosh. If not there is some obstruction or other issue.

The 602 is an exceptionally easy stove to light because the firebox loads N/S. With the air wide open the starting fire is fanned by air blowing down the length of the sticks in the firebox. The C550 loads E/W. That presents the side of the log to the incoming air which will lead to slower starts.

I would have the C550 liner and cap cleaned to make sure there is nothing obstructing it. Then, for firestarting, try top down starting. Here is a video showing this method for starting.

Reactions: wpgibson
Try moving one of the skamol bricks in the baffle out of the way. Push it up and slide it to one side. Put piece of newspaper right into the flue and light it. Should light up and then burn up with a pronounced whooosh. If not there is some obstruction or other issue.

I'm about to ask a stupid question... is the baffle on the top of the firebox? If not, where is it?

I'm about to ask a stupid question... is the baffle on the top of the firebox? If not, where is it?
It's at the top of the firebox, on top of the secondary burn tubes. It must be replaced correctly when done with that test. jatoxico is a Jotul C550 owner and should be able to help if questions, but if you are not comfortable poking around there, that's ok.

Yup there are 2 white squares that fit into the cast baffles above the burn tubes. There's an inch or two of room above them before you hit the actual stove top. Gently tap one loose and push up and to the side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup there are 2 white squares that fit into the cast baffles above the burn tubes. There's an inch or two of room above them before you hit the actual stove top. Gently tap one loose and push up and to the side.

Thanks - I couldn't try it today as my wife had a nice hot fire going when I got home from work. What a woman.

My working theory is that the chimney for the 602 is partially enclosed by the garage, and therefore better insulated than the other one, which is out in the open.

So you found a solution, let the wife run the stove. Now if you can get her to cut, split and stack all your wood burning problems will be solved.

Re stacking.. The trick is similar to dish washing. Do such a poor job your wife won't let you near the stack ( or dishes).. works for me.. have not stacked for years

OTOH, I get to haul it in all winter

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
i dont have the greatest wood but i use about a cup of wood pellets as kindling and start the fire with propane torch leave door open a crack and when the door starts to clunk back n forth from draft i close the door

question i have a crack in the grate i tried to pull it out too big for the door? am i doing it wrong is there a trick to it

Last edited:
i dont have the greatest wood but i use about a cup of wood pellets as kindling and start the fire with propane torch leave door open a crack and when the door starts to clunk back n forth from draft i close the door

question i have a crack in the grate i tried to pull it out too big for the door? am i doing it wrong is there a trick to it

i filled it in but its all cracked off again/ front to back crack in the doghouse i also put in a screw to to expand the joint when cold to apply epoxy crack gets bigger when heated

Attachments

• Why is it such a pain to get a fire going in my Jotul Rockland?
    IMAG2169.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 127
Status
Not open for further replies.