Why did you buy your stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Why did you buy your stove? (multiple responses permitted)

• I didn't, it was with the house when I bought it and we use it.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I have no other immediately viable option for heat.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • To save money vs using oil, gas, electric heat.

Votes: 34 72.3%
  • To supplement my current heating setup (oil,gas,electric). (example : zone heating).

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • I just like the look & feel of using a stove.

Votes: 26 55.3%
  • Because I fear a total collapse of society and infrastructure.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Because it uses a renewable resource.

Votes: 16 34.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
None of the above.

We added an insert in the basement fireplace as a more efficient, cleaner, and consistent auxiliary heat source. Primarily to serve as a backup for the inevitable electric power outage. After using it for a couple of seasons we came to appreciate the very pleasant and desirable benefits of wood heat.

the price of propane isn't consistent. In 2012 or 2013 the price skyrocketed due to high demand, (farmers were using it to dry crops) I was quoted nearly $1500 to fill my 500 gallon tank. I went to Menards that night bought a pellet stove and installed it the next day. I switched to a wood stove several years later. Burning wood may be an investment in the beginning but if your willing to put up wood yourself, it may save you some money. Look at the heating situation going on in Europe right now. The ambience is great and I have an excuse to own a dump trailer a Dodge 2500 and several pro chainsaws.

Last edited:
Any excuse for more toys is a good one 😜

We have no other source of heat. So its either run duct work and install some type of either propane or oil burning furnace. We live pretty rural and a very large percentage of us out here heat with wood. A small percent use electric but I have heard some horror stories on the monthly cost. A lot of people think that all of Arkansas does not have a winter but I can assure you north Arkansas can get bitterly cold.

In addition to the survey answers provided, I had secondary reasons to heat with wood:
  1. I had a free source of firewood. It started when hurricane Ike dropped a huge pin oak into my neighbors yard and the arborist asked if I wanted the wood. I said sure, and 2+ cords later I had reason to buy a stove.
  2. Enjoy the physical activity of collecting and processing firewood.
  3. My father passed along the woodburning lifestyle & mindset to me. It's a fond connection.

Another vote for 'in case of power outage', although in my case with an aging furnace, it was also 'in case the furnace fails at the least convenient time possible'. I'm an engineer, I like redundancy for critical systems =P The other benefits are ones that I appreciate now, but weren't the driving reason for getting the stove in the first place.

I didnt really consider power outage as the option for whatever reason.
When I think of it a bit further though, Im assuming based on this poll that most people have another form of heat. If your power goes out for that long of a period where it matters - more than an hour, or day or even a few days, and you want to be prepared, then why not buy a generator that can run your furnace, as well as your refrigerator and likely chest freezer that many have. Along with lights, cable (entertainment), etc? SO unless you are in camp "I have no other viable option for heat" and/or camp "I fear the downfall of society", or camp "I have electric heat and wanted to save money" (which those options are available in the poll), I cannot understand why someone would buy a wood stove due to electrical outages.

In addition to the survey answers provided, I had secondary reasons to heat with wood:
  1. I had a free source of firewood. It started when hurricane Ike dropped a huge pin oak into my neighbors yard and the arborist asked if I wanted the wood. I said sure, and 2+ cords later I had reason to buy a stove.
  2. Enjoy the physical activity of collecting and processing firewood.
  3. My father passed along the woodburning lifestyle & mindset to me. It's a fond connection.
I hope to never lose the oak on my property. I see neighbors cutting down great trees because 'it gets their yard dirty' and just shake my head. Some yes, they fall over and there isnt much you can do about it. People really need to think a few times before wanting to cut a tree down. It's worse than getting a tattoo that spells 'no regerts'

When I think of it a bit further though, Im assuming based on this poll that most people have another form of heat. If your power goes out for that long of a period where it matters - more than an hour, or day or even a few days, and you want to be prepared, then why not buy a generator that can run your furnace, as well as your refrigerator and likely chest freezer that many have. Along with lights, cable (entertainment), etc? SO unless you are in camp "I have no other viable option for heat" and/or camp "I fear the downfall of society", or camp "I have electric heat and wanted to save money" (which those options are available in the poll), I cannot understand why someone would buy a wood stove due to electrical outages.
Because it's a consistent easy way to heat with the power off. When we loose power in the winter really the only major hastle is water. If it goes on for more than a day I wheel the fridge and freezers outside. Propane stove for cooking and woodstove for heat.

I have an oil furnace but an electric oven and range. Sizing a generator to be able to run that load would be non-trivial, while having a backup system for everything else isn't as expensive (I actually have solar + batteries rather than a generator - slightly higher up front cost but cheaper over several years). More precisely, powering the range and oven would double the amperage I'd need to be able to supply from a backup system. I would assume anyone else with either a heat pump, electric baseboard, or electric cooktop would be looking at a similar expensive tradeoff if you need a backup for everything vs everything-except-generating-heat.

Aside from the cost to have a larger system, generators have their own issues - I've certainly had infrequently-used ones not start up when you need them (old fuel, some sort of maintenance didn't happen, etc). They're also smelly and loud. I definitely prefer having a wood stove to either a generator of similar cost or the more expensive extra batteries, especially when it gives me an entirely independent system that works as a backup if the furnace fails for non-power-related reasons.

Reactions: stoveliker
I can heat the living room well and supplement heat in the rest of the house with renewable fuel. It's cozy. Maine had a big Ice Storm in '99, and we get all sorts of of weather that can take out the power, so it's nice to have an alternative. I've lived in this house 15 years and the stove has come in handy in outages.