Who's ready for the 2024-2025 burn season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
I'm pretty much gtg. I've got wood ready for the year either stacked or piled. I'll split the piles after cold weather Now is not the time of year to root around in the piles.

Just need to get a soot eater and run the flue and I'm ready to go.

Just got done with a week of hot weather in the upper 80’s, supposed to cool off with highs in the lower 70’s next week so not much summer left. Usually have a few take the chill off fires in September and should be full time burning by mid October. The chimney’s swept, stove cleaned out and this seasons firewood is all under 20% moisture so I’m ready to go!

I'm excited, even fall I can go run it to make sure everything's working good.
It's been over 100 almost everyday here so I think it's going to take some time to cool down.

Still need to bring in a couple more truck loads of wood from my wood lot to fill up the shed. It will give me about four cords which is usually enough for a season.

Reactions: Itslay90
Once my new stove (Regency F2500) arrives I’m good to go. I’m still gathering information on whether to repair or replace my heat pump. It’s hard to justify the cost of the HP this year, especially with a new stove and access to free wood.

Once my new stove (Regency F2500) arrives I’m good to go. I’m still gathering information on whether to repair or replace my heat pump. It’s hard to justify the cost of the HP this year, especially with a new stove and access to free wood.
Yep wood saved us a lot last year only had 2 cords that was dry enough but we stretched it out (first year blues). Free wood is great hope its been up and drying for a while!

Just came on to post this very question. I’m sitting in my dining room looking at my empty stove. I don’t want to rush the end of summer but it’s been hot and humid and I am looking forward to using the stove. This will be my first full season with it. I have a few cords chopped up but the wood won’t be ready this year. Probably going to have to buy some trusted seasoned or kiln dried wood for this year 😵‍💫. My burning intentions are for cozy weekend fires only so I won’t need much wood but we’ll see. For now I’ll enjoy the heat and weather because come late March I’ll be begging for this.

Just came on to post this very question. I’m sitting in my dining room looking at my empty stove. I don’t want to rush the end of summer but it’s been hot and humid and I am looking forward to using the stove. This will be my first full season with it. I have a few cords chopped up but the wood won’t be ready this year. Probably going to have to buy some trusted seasoned or kiln dried wood for this year 😵‍💫. My burning intentions are for cozy weekend fires only so I won’t need much wood but we’ll see. For now I’ll enjoy the heat and weather because come late March I’ll be begging for this.
I hope you can find dry wood; "trusted" only appears after having bought and having seen it's not wet, and "kiln-dried" generally only means "long and hot enough to kill bugs, which is by far not enough to dry it"

If you were planning on buying wood, you should have bought it in March so you could have dried it (split, stacked, covered) over the summer.

Or gotten pine or fir so in March because that can dry in one summer.

Reactions: Dajolu and Itslay90
I hope you can find dry wood; "trusted" only appears after having bought and having seen it's not wet, and "kiln-dried" generally only means "long and hot enough to kill bugs, which is by far not enough to dry it"

If you were planning on buying wood, you should have bought it in March so you could have dried it (split, stacked, covered) over the summer.

Or gotten pine or fir so in March because that can dry in one summer.
I have some “seasoned wood” that I bought over the winter that has been stacked and covered since then. The rest is all oak that I split and stacked over the winter as well. I know the oak won’t be ready but the other stuff may be. I guess time will tell. Good point on the kiln dry stuff. I will have to get some and see the moister content. Again this is not my primary source of heat so i will only burn what I know is dry (yes I own a moisture meter).

Reactions: stoveliker
All ready. Shed is full plus a couple more cords to sell. Chimneys are swept.

We were just talking about how it feels good at 70 in the house now but in winter we push 80 to feel good.

Just need to sweep the chimneys.

Still time for a solar kiln to get stuff dry. I'd trust myself to build one of those before I trust a firewood salesman.

I checked my solar kiln yesterday top half of my wood measured under 10% so I grabbed a couple bottom pieces ,split those and they measured right around 16-18 % I’ll put them in the shed and hope the real dry ones soak up some humidity 😂 might throw some rough cut 3 by 9s under the plastic to get a little moisture out of them there going on 2 yrs now but there not perfect

I'm very happy most of you are sorted

I'm not even close

I'm dreading it right now, I got nothin but sob stories from 2024

tried to make a fire on my birthday in May for my senior kitty and couldn't get a draw and just walked away from it...I even swept the chimney in the rain that day and couldn't get a draw...she's passed on now so that impetus is gone

we don't have summer anymore...maybe had 5 days at 90F...it has been raining a lot and is very comfortable if you like it cool like we do

it is perennial spring here in the French countryside and our building projects and house income properties went backwards with a couple of nightmare tenants who cost us tens of thousands and a local gov't who stopped me from making our building safe or they would deem the connected ruin to not exist anymore and we would not have the right to rebuild

not to mention I got motion sickness from being in the cherry picker and it stayed with me for 6 months...went on a quick 2 week visit to California and the flight cured the motion sickness. Came back and had an operation and couldn't walk pain free for 2 months.

it is time to order some wood, but we are just trying to recover from the knuckleheadery that set us back financially. I've got a big oak to cut and split, but I haven't had the time

mainly I need a new class A chimney and a stove with a bigger firebox...but I got no idea how to finance that right now, let alone have someone install it...and we are back in the time of year when class A is very expensive. If we are gonna do it, it will be me again

whoa is me

It's time to order wood for next winter, this winters wood should have been ordered last year or this spring the latest. That big oak if you cut and split it now might be ready for next winter but probably won't be ready till winter of 26-27.

It's time to order wood for next winter, this winters wood should have been ordered last year or this spring the latest. That big oak if you cut and split it now might be ready for next winter but probably won't be ready till winter of 26-27.
my normal supplier claims to supply wood ready to burn. I find around half is ready and about half needs another year. I have maybe 4-5 cords ready to burn now...wood supply isn't really an issue...compared with my flue issues

the big oak I'll get to soon-ish, here...soon as plant growth starts slowing down

I just polished the griddle. Ready here in Maryland!

[Hearth.com] Who's ready for the 2024-2025 burn season?

[Hearth.com] Who's ready for the 2024-2025 burn season?

Im ready. I have enough wood, dry wood, and the flue is cleaned. I cleaned it at the end of winter, but ill do it again for piece of mind. I kept some ashes in the stove, so Im not dealing with an empty firebox come burning time. I really cant wait!

This years wood has been ready for a year or four, guess I need to do a bit of organising/restacking. It's about season to fill the shed to the rafters or more for future me.
I'm ready for fires in the upstairs insert but hoping to burn more casual upstairs and more consistent in the basement, upstairs insert is starting to get a bit tired.
Waiting eagerly for the new stove in the basement, hoping for a doozy of a winter, new snowmobile added to the fleet last year (well 23 years old and the newest one by 8 years), new 36" snowblower a few years back (actually maybe an early 90's model), new quad with blade a few years back (guess it's 30 this year)... The downstairs stove is brand new, bring it on! Snow me in and turn down the outside temps! (in a month or so)...

Chimney and stove is clean and ready to go. I load my side covered poach with a weeks wood. But wait till we get some freezing nights.
Hope to get a few days this fall to cut up some downed trees out back.

We have 2 cords stacked from last Fall, and an 8' row leftover from last season as well. There's not a lot of room in the yard to store wood, but I'll order another cord soon. We have a smaller stove and re-split a lot of the wood to 4" or so. My son likes the exercise.

It's still too warm for us here on Long Island. Can't wait for cooler weather and flannel shirts. The mini splits will take care of a lot of the shoulder season. I'll have a couple small 'ambiance' fires to get some ash back in the stove, but probably won't have a blaze going until later November.

Plenty of dry wood ready to go. Still need to clean the stove and climb up on the roof to sweep the chimney.

That first fire of the season is nice looking through that clean glass on the front of the stove. Love having fires early in the burn season. Get pretty tired of making fires every day by the spring. Wood heat certainly saves me money though...