When is it "worth it" to buy log length wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fire_man said:
Bigg_Redd said:
sksmass said:
I have been toying with the idea of getting a load of log length wood and processing it myself. But I'm unsure about the economics of it all. In my area a cord of split and "seasoned" mixed hardwood is $180. How much cheaper would a cord of log length have to be to make it worth it?

Is there a rule of thumb about the price of log length relative to split? Should it be 50% the price of split? 75%?

I dunno about all that but I'd probably pay $50 per cord for Doug Fir (way better than your eastern "hardwoods") in log form. . . maybe.

Let's see, Douglas fir comes in at 21.4 Million BTU/chord, Hickory comes in at 30 Million, White Oak at 26.5 so what am I missing?? Oh yea Douglas Fir is easier to carry to the stove 'cause its lighter! :snake:

Number of westerners on this board crying like a little baby about Douglas Fir = 0

Number of eastern crybabies crybabying about this or that "hardwood" that's been cribbed up for 2 years and still ain't dry = most of the threads on this board

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
fire_man said:
Bigg_Redd said:
sksmass said:
I have been toying with the idea of getting a load of log length wood and processing it myself. But I'm unsure about the economics of it all. In my area a cord of split and "seasoned" mixed hardwood is $180. How much cheaper would a cord of log length have to be to make it worth it?

Is there a rule of thumb about the price of log length relative to split? Should it be 50% the price of split? 75%?

I dunno about all that but I'd probably pay $50 per cord for Doug Fir (way better than your eastern "hardwoods") in log form. . . maybe.

Let's see, Douglas fir comes in at 21.4 Million BTU/chord, Hickory comes in at 30 Million, White Oak at 26.5 so what am I missing?? Oh yea Douglas Fir is easier to carry to the stove 'cause its lighter! :snake:

I was gunna say . . .
:lol: :lol:

Was gunna say what? "My oak isn't dry! Whaaaaaaa!!!! I split it 10 years ago! Whaaaa. . ." Something like that? Relax, you're not alone.

Bigg_Redd said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
fire_man said:
Bigg_Redd said:
sksmass said:

I was gunna say . . .
:lol: :lol:

Was gunna say what? "My oak isn't dry! Whaaaaaaa!!!! I split it 10 years ago! Whaaaa. . ." Something like that? Relax, you're not alone.

Someone's got a bad case of Oak-envy. You get it when you rub against Pines. I hear it itches like crazy.

To heck with what the charts say. I've burned hickory, locust, apple and oak hardwoods here in the Northwest and I seriously don't find much better heat output than doug fir. Sure the coals last longer but they have little heat output. I only throw the hardwoods in at bed time and restart with fir in the morning. Can't restart with the hardwoods. What the heck do you guys use for kindling? You can't even split the stuff that small.

freddy said:
Can't restart with the hardwoods. What the heck do you guys use for kindling? You can't even split the stuff that small.

Only use kindling once a year or so but pine or spruce usually goes on the bottom of every reload.

Can't restart with hardwoods? Huh, I do it every day. Fire burns down, I add a split or 2 and off she goes. DRY hardwood helps, and no, it's not been drying for 3 or more years. 1.5 or so.

Eric Johnson said:
I'd say that if you're not thoroughly excited about the prospect of having a load of logs dumped in your yard, then you probably shouldn't do it.

Personally, I can't think of many things that would be more satisfying or fun.

I'm very much in agreement with both of these comments.

freddy said:
What the heck do you guys use for kindling? You can't even split the stuff that small.
I use only hardwood for kin'lin. Split 20 inch long pieces down to about the diameter of my thumb with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.