What's the story on the Hearthstone Mansfield...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkazak

Jan 21, 2014
Nebraska
Some of you were kind enough to respond to my thread "Plate Steel or Cast Iron for me..?" and I got some good insight on trying to heat the 2900sq/ft upper levels of the log home we just purchased. Thank you.
As is the way of Fate a slightly used Mansfield just came up for sale and it has much of what my criteria is. Good looks and large firebox. Now I see that it is only rated at 77% efficient - although I thought these soapstone stoves were better than that..... can anyone comment...?

I was really leaning toward the PE T6 as it had the best of both worlds but the price is right on the Hearthstone..... really right. I know its rated for a little less than what I want to heat BUT for where the additional areas are away from the main rooms I don't think anything is going to get heat back there anyway unless its ducted. So lets assume I'm trying to cover about 1900sq/ft. Anyone think the Mansfield will handle it ? I really like the idea of the long heat-life as my wife isn't keen on keeping up on adding wood.

Thoughts...?

And - thanks in advance.

If you've got good to really good insulation in your home, that should Mansfield work just fine. I installed, serviced & sold the Hearthstone line for 11+ years & I really love the "soft" heat & the long times that they radiate the heat after the flames have died.

If you've got good to really good insulation in your home, that should Mansfield work just fine. I installed, serviced & sold the Hearthstone line for 11+ years & I really love the "soft" heat & the long times that they radiate the heat after the flames have died.

Well.....this log home is both new to us and a very new build so the 'R'-value is not so good. It has LOTS of big windows (great when the sun shines) and 25' ceilings. I have a Lopi Liberty in the basement and it seems to do pretty well. I realize they are different types of heaters... but heat is heat isn't it..? And the Mansfiled is right at the same size as the Liberty. I plan on getting a fan on the Mansfield to help things along.

I JUST missed out on a brand new Equinox at cost from a store closing. The salesman was getting a shipping quote for me when he said someone else walked into the store and bought it. Oh well......

For the price I've going to buy the Mansfield just to have a backup for when the Liberty burns out..... though I must say I do appreciate the way that Liberty gets hot fast and cranks the heat with the blower......

OK.... had the wife go out to look and she gave her stamp of approval for cosmetics. Stove is a one owner bought 5-years ago and used one season but very light use. She agreed with the owner that it pretty much looks new. We agreed on a delivered-to-our door-price of $1200 with 10' of stove pipe and a couple of elbows.

I had her write the check. I don't see how I could go wrong at that price.

Wow !

God is good.

Nice, I've seen that stove in action on a cold winter day last year, it was heating a 3000 sf colonial with ease, newer house but still, its a beast and a nice looking one at that.

We are heating 2100 sqft, pretty open floor plan, fair insulation/sealing, house built in '96. At 0F it kept the house over 70F.. No complaints. Killer price on yours, I did fair on mine, $1700 for a 2 year old enameled stove. I don't know if you have seen the '13 redesign, but IMHO, the older ones are much better looking..

Pictures of it when installed please. Should look nice, and sounds like a great deal.

We were heating our previous 2,200 sqft house with the Mansfield. Open floor plan, built in the 80s, I was certain it would have had enough reserve to heat an addition to that house. I loved the stove. Huge firebox, lasted hot through the night, easy to reload in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.