What to do? Help me with fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I am not in the house or I would provide actual measurements. I get access on Thursday and I will get actual measurements at that time. It is not even my house yet.

Now, this is my perspective as one who has lived in a lot of very old (back to 1690's) houses, but I wouldn't do anything to mess up what the architect originally designed. Hey, it's only 50 years old today, but it's cool, and some day it will be truly old.

I like the free-standing idea, if there's any way to shoe-horn one in there. Eliminates the issue of finishing off or closing off the one open side, will look nice, and can just sit there without mod's (except that wooden storage thing... it has to go). Some ember protection on the floor below, which could be a sheet of glass or copper.... done.

Opening height is going to be your primary obstacle. There are some freestanders that double as inserts (again, Buck), which might be approved for use without legs?

Reactions: Pattonky
Now, this is my perspective as one who has lived in a lot of very old (back to 1690's) houses, but I wouldn't do anything to mess up what the architect originally designed. Hey, it's only 50 years old today, but it's cool, and some day it will be truly old.

I like the free-standing idea, if there's any way to shoe-horn one in there. Eliminates the issue of finishing off or closing off the one open side, will look nice, and can just sit there without mod's (except that wooden storage thing... it has to go). Some ember protection on the floor below, which could be a sheet of glass or copper.... done.

Opening height is going to be your primary obstacle. There are some freestanders that double as inserts (again, Buck), which might be approved for use without legs?
So, Ashful, I am a little intrigued. To me one should be able to place an insert and then kind of tuck a surround in such a way as to continue the lines of the fireplace. Is there a reason that this is aesthetically less than a freestanding stove? If the answer is yes please explain it to me. Again, I would think that with some effort on could make an insert almost appear to look like you had just boxed in the fireplace almost like a set of fireplace gates.

So, Ashful, I am a little intrigued. To me one should be able to place an insert and then kind of tuck a surround in such a way as to continue the lines of the fireplace. Is there a reason that this is aesthetically less than a freestanding stove? If the answer is yes please explain it to me. Again, I would think that with some effort on could make an insert almost appear to look like you had just boxed in the fireplace almost like a set of fireplace gates.
It can easily be done tastefully. And while you are at it get rid of that colonial rail and ballisters. They look really out of place. To me clean install of a modern looking insert with a black painted end panel would be much more fitting with the design than a freestander tucked in there. Especially better than a hampton. I love the look of those stoves but it doesnt fit with a mid century modern fireplace.

Reactions: Pattonky and Ashful
bholler already answered better than I could have.
I have a design degree also and currently i am redesigning our newly purchased ranch to look mid century modern. It will take a few years but it will get there. So i know how to make things look right especially in that style.

You’re better than me, then. I know when things look wrong, but usually need a lot of help in getting them to look right. Lol...

Reactions: bholler
I have talked to a dealer and he tells me we can absolutely make the insert idea work:) We will masonry in the one wall to meet code and then put plate over bricks to match stove this will give the appearance of one solid corner piece tucked into the stone. I am hopeful measurements will allow for the NEO with the 1.6 box. Wish me luck on that front. I am glad the design guy backed me instead of Ashful.

Reactions: bholler
Ok, now we have real dimensions.

Height 30"
Width 29.75"
Depth 21"-23" (deeper at bottom than top)

The PE NEO says minimum width is 30", but drawings show width is slightly less. I wonder if it could be shoe horned in to the opening?

Bring forth any candidates you have for a fireplace insert or something better for that matter. Remember mid-century modern compatibility is part of the desire.

Question: Is the depth to the face of the fireplace or to the edge of the hearth?

The Neo 16 might just squeak in there. I'd leave the responsibility of that decision up to the dealer and installer. The Osburn Matrix also looks like it would just fit. If that's too tight the Regency Alterra 1250 would definitely fit. I also mentioned some conventional inserts earlier in this thread that would fit.

Reactions: Pattonky
Question: Is the depth to the face of the fireplace or to the edge of the hearth?

The Neo 16 might just squeak in there. I'd leave the responsibility of that decision up to the dealer and installer. The Osburn Matrix also looks like it would just fit. If that's too tight the Regency Alterra 1250 would definitely fit. I also mentioned some conventional inserts earlier in this thread that would fit.
That depth number is all of it, there a no more depth. If a little tiny man started at the back of the box and took one step beyond 23 inches he would fall to his death or at least a terrible injury;)

That changes the picture. What is the depth of the fireplace to the face?

Looks like this will require a shallow firebox insert. That makes the Alterra the more attractive candidate.

Begreen, what do you mean by face? Are you talking about on the left side of the fireplace where the firebrick end and the ledge stone veneer begins?

Yes, what's the depth of the firebrick portion of the fireplace? This fireplace is an odd one, so that may not be important if the installer has a plan for finishing so that it looks proper in the end.

Yes, what's the depth of the firebrick portion of the fireplace? This fireplace is an odd one, so that may not be important if the installer has a plan for finishing so that it looks proper in the end.
Depth of firebrick portion only at bottom of fireplace is 18.5"
This holds for approximately 13.5" of height. At that point the rear wall of the firebox tapers forward and the depth narrows until at the top of the 30" high firebox there is only 16.5" of depth. The inserts that would go in this opening many times are not particularly tall and this would see, to be helpful as far as the narrowing of depth.

Yes most inserts are in the 17-22" height range.